overall
Brewed by Nøgne Ø
Style: Imperial/Double IPA
Grimstad, Norway

RATINGS: 565   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Nothing is like celebrating your own milestones. This is a celebration of our 500th batch of ale. It was brewed with joy and splendor; the brewer wore a suit, and a TV station filmed the event. As a base for this ale, we have elected to play with numbers: 5 hops, 100 IBUs, 10% alcohol by volume. Indeed it is an Imperial India Pale Ale. Big and bold. Great for a celebration!

Vicci (7) - Manchester, Greater Manchester, ENGLAND - DEC 28, 2012 does not count
Amazingly malty, sweet caramel fore notes and a lingering bitter coating. Very special indeed ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
chimplechamp (601) - Oslo, NORWAY - AUG 23, 2010
UPDATED: APR 6, 2012 bottle- øl og mat fest- When I saw this was at the festival it was on my must try list. But it went far beyond expectations. nose was intensely hoppy, punched you in the face with the amount of hops. big herbaceous flowery, hops. On the same level as 120min ipa. the malt had taken on almost sherrylike nose as well. Taste was similar to dogfish head 120 minute ipa as well, lots of sweetness to balance the huge amount of IBUs. A big bad ass beer that I am so happy I tried. This is the best beer I ever had from norway, and I don’t think any beer will come close to it for a while. -------- tap at GB transcendent. notes of gooseberry on the nose perfect carbonation lemon rind accents malt sweetness, with a shocking fresh aftertaste

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jtpaajan (6) - FINLAND - APR 30, 2011 does not count
Strong bitterness, some sweetness, full body with lots of fruity undertones. This beer is really strong but still tastes incredibly balanced. The Imperial IPA #500 should remind any beer geek why the Nøgne brewery is such a legend!

Splitenz (331) - Oslo, NORWAY - FEB 12, 2012
This is now my favorite norwegian beer. The colour is perfect, and the glow it gives off when held up against, lets say a candle, is impressive to say the least. I am still quite new to IPA, but this is it as far as I’m concerned. Smells of massive amounts of wonderful hops, there’s almost a hint of dust to it, which I surmise comes from the dryness of it all. It has a bit of a burn, or tinge to it, which I find exciting to say the least. I’ve tried it at various temperatures, and find it complex even when served quite cold. Bartender said I should taste it as well the first time, I got so captivated by the small I forgot to pour it. I can’t describe all the various flavours, I’m not that good at this rating and tasting game, yet, but for me, this is the ultimate IPA.

Christopsy (108) - SCOTLAND - APR 30, 2013
WOW! A great beer! I’ve never smelled so many aromas in one beer. I felt detected vanilla custard citrus... my wife think’s I’m crazy, but this is one great beer. I prefer dark beers, but this blew my mind as an IPA. Even though it is 10%, it didn’t have a big alcohol burn, however, the price for the pint did burn my wallet...

BobyFischer (65) - FRANCE - NOV 6, 2014
Je vais surtout parler de ce qu’elle a de particulier en tant qu’IIPA européenne.C’est son maltage.Il est l’élément le plus présent.je ne parle pas de déséquilibre, au contraire tout se marie bien, mais de prépondérance.Cette bière allie les malts de blé, d’orge et de seigle.Ce dernier est particulièrement rare il me semble et confère généralement aux bières quelque chose d’unique.La ROGGEN de THURN UND TAXIS m’y a initié.Comme quelque chose d’amer dans le corps céréalier de cette bière.Ça se retrouve ici.C’est une bière libre et déchaînée.C’est excellent, et vue que nordique ça réchauffe bien (aussi).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
banii (239) - Trondheim, NORWAY - JAN 24, 2011
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2012 Bottle, Vinmonopolet. Lovely aroma. Very bitter, but it’s still complex. Nice warmth from the alcohol. The best double IPA from Norway, ever.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
davidm (1937) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - FEB 18, 2011
On tap. Masterpiece. Aromas of caramel, butterscotch, grass, and vanilla. Taste has a sweet start, with bitterness taking over for a long finish. Palate is creamy, and full bodied. Dark brown, with a frothy head.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
drpimento (2280) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 22, 2011
What a luscious, lovely beer! I let it warm up some out of my cold fridge. Poured with a thick, foamy, frothy, creamy, light tan head and lots of lace. Color is a clear medium orange, copper, amber. Aroma at first was hops, malt, and yeast; then I got pineapple, grapefruit, cherries, cigar. Flavor is much the same and has interplay between the heavy hop and malt sweetness. Very full, round, lush body with perfect carbonation to cut through it. Finish has some hints of the alcohol and ends up a wisps of lingering sweetness. Good for session sipping.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
eclessia (2) - AUSTRALIA - SEP 4, 2011 does not count
This is an outrageously good beer. Delicious, complex and very drinkable. Well balanced. Will not disappoint.