Nøgne Ø Dark Horizon First Edition

overall
Formerly brewed at Nøgne Ø
Style: Imperial Stout
Grimstad, Norway

RATINGS: 525   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.19   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 480   ABV: 16%
This is our first edition of Dark Horizon. It is the first, for us anyway. There will be more to follow, and even though they will be other editions, they will still be firsts. “Let’s go crazy!” said Tore. The last time he said that, we created #100, which proved to be a success. How could I not agree to his suggestion? “How crazy can we be?” I responded. “Go all the way!” he answered. So we started off with a beefed up Imperial Stout, extra dark and extra bitter, not much to it really, but maybe a bit over the top. When this brew had fermented, we gathered again on a sunny Saturday morning, ready for next move. Half a ton of demerara sugars and our homemade extract of coffee were waiting for us. Standing there with sticky sugars all over the brewery and us, I just couldn’t resist asking Tore: “Don’t you have better things to do during week ends?” To this point he still hasn’t answered me. After adding a hefty volume of wine yeast, we left this brew to itself for month. A good month, that was.

This is ale; it is also a wine, and a coffee drink. We’ve been playful and brewed a hybrid. Do yourself and your friends a favour and share this bottle with those you deem worthy. Dark Horizon is indeed a global brew. Inspiration from the US Midwest, malt from England, bottles from Germany, name from Japan, sugars from Mauritius, hops from the Pacific rim, Yeast from Canada, coffee from Colombia, brewed in Grimstad, Norway.

All bottles of Dark Horizon are numbered with its unique number, and all together we launched 6000 of this brew.

37 P, 75 IBU, 16% ABV.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - SEP 15, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2007 Bottle # 1994 pours black and I mean black. A nice medium sized froth rises and slowly reduces to a fine, silky canopy and a fluffy spattered ring. Aromas of butcher roasted sweet malts, dark chocolate, and brandy. Nice! A viscous nectar goes down w/ ample effers that create a creamy sensation. Awsome! Huge, intense, profound! This brew is extreme. A gigantic malty backbone w/ a spine tingling roast component come alive on this big screen adventure, and I do mean adventure. The alcohol component pierces my palate like a knife yet is not apperant in flavor, just sensation. It cuts through the blubber blancing it all out. Cocoa, molases, roasted coffee bean, vanilla, hot cinnamon sticks. Drinks good cold or warm w/ no off flavors or aromas anywhere. The finish, well, it really doesn’t. It’s bittered, if you will,with a strict alcohol burn that clears the palate of the debre and keeps me ready but only after a breath or two. You have to take deep breaths between sipps. Overall: This is the strongest flavored yet balanced beer i’ve had to date. The high alcohol content stings like a good Cognac on the palate then lets in the heavy roasted coffee and chocolate to do their fancy stepwork. I totally agree with the hype and I will buy more, even at the $20 price tag. I highly recommend this to all of you who appreciate strong beers. If GD has the Yeti, Avery Mephistopheles, and Three Floyds Dark Lord, Nogne O has has summoned Satan himself.

corby112 (2214) - philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2007
Pours pitch black with a foamy coffee colored head. Aroma of roasted malt, chocolate, sweet alcohol and dark fruit. Very complex beer with amazing flavor. Smooth maltiness up front with dark chcoloate, roasted coffee, and dark fruits like raisin, plum and blackberry. Bitter roasted coffee finish that is balanced by a nice bitter coffee flavor. Very drinkable considering its strength, but also posesses a pleasant alcohol warmth. Excellent!

FROTHINGSLOSH (4843) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 7, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2011 3/2011 - I only ever got to try this one once and despite the exorbitant price it was easily worth it. Just a marvelous beer all the way around++++ Sampled from a 16.9 oz brown bottle this beer poured a dark black color with a medium sized dark brown head. The aroma was very intense and complex mixing port wine, sherry, sweet ripe fruits and chocolate. The flavor was a wonderfully rich and complex mix of bitter, then sweet malts with sherry, ripe fruits, roastiness, sweet chocolate syrup and tangy ripe fruits. The finish was full of port, roasty malts and bitter coffee. There was a lingering tangy sweetness. The alcohol was rather well hidden given the strength. The mouthfeel was silky smooth. I looked long and hard for flaws but could not find any. Usually these highly hyped beers tend to disappoint me but this one far exceeded my expectations. One of the most interestingly deep beers I have ever had. Perfection in a glass.

SirLimpsalot (2067) - SWEDEN - NOV 2, 2010
En helt fantastisk öl som var helt rätt nu. En härlig fyllig blandning av kaffe, choklad, rostade toner och lakrits. Lite oljig vätska som hade en helt perfekt balans och lenhet. En helt magisk öl

zach8270 (3376) - Henrietta, New York, USA - FEB 21, 2011
(beer tasting @ Monty’s Krown - Rochester, NY: bottle - 500 ml) Big thanks to David for bringing this one. Never thought I’d see one let alone try it. Black inky pour with almost no head. Huge roasted malt and dark fruit aroma. Definitely get some plums and rich roasted coffee. Flavor is amazing. Heavy and sweet roasted malts with a ton of dark fruit earthy sweetness and a wine-like finish. Even for as old as it is, the alcohol is still really prevalent. Amazing beer.

bth (17) - NORWAY - MAR 9, 2011
Simply the best beer I have ever tasted. Like the description says: "This is ale; it is also a wine, and a coffee drink. We’ve been playful and brewed a hybrid. Do yourself and your friends a favour and share this bottle with those you deem worthy."

Beer4000 (4404) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - MAR 20, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2010 500ml Bottle. I’ve been one of the few lucky to follow the development of this marvelous creation from the start to the release. From a wonderful, strong brew with a bit raw alcohol character this has matured to a perfect, well balanced world-class beer. The biggest surprise is how the alcohol manages to be this well hidden. This is actually the most balanced beer above 10% abv I have ever tasted, simply impressive. The body is totally black, not possible to see trough. The head has a delicious small rust-brown color. This is just the definition of a perfect appearance for an imperial stout. The aroma is very powerful; you need some time to adjust before taking the first sip. Espresso coffee, bitter chocolate, dry fruit, roasted malt, vanilla and port. The flavor has the same elements as aroma, but in addition some kind of elements from really fine well matured vine. All these elements of flavor are experienced so incredible well balanced together. It’s a rather sweet beer, but not in a sticky way. It’s powerful but not more than you easily manage to empty a whole bottle by yourself. It so close to perfect I can imagine, and the only reason to not go all the way to the top of the scale is the usually ratebeer reason: You never know what to expect from the future, so you have to leave room for something possibly better. God knows what that would be?

tarjei (1954) - Bryne, NORWAY - MAR 22, 2007
How is it possible to give this beer 3,9...? Tasted in Kristiansand on «Ølkulinarisk aften» at the restaurant Måltid, with dark chocolade dessert and coffee. Perfect! Forget cognac, calvados, armagnac - this is the perfect avec. All I can do is join yngwie, Sigmund (they where there) and others in the choir...

Furseth (1947) - Kungälv, SWEDEN - JUL 8, 2007
Bottle: Black colour,big brown head! Aroma of liquir,dark Chocolate,raisins,saltlakris,coffee,Viny. Flavor has the same elemnts,fantatic well done ,to hide det alc, who´s well integrated between the raisns and Chocolate. Full body, and a long finish. This is hand work in high class. Fantastic beer! My highest raiting so far.

Miver (609) - Silver Spring, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 10, 2007
Bottle shared with Axilla at Capone’s. Thanks Matt. Very impressed with the packaging. Poured black with very little brown head. This was very impressive. It wasn’t until part way through the glass until I read the bottle and saw it was 16%. This hides the alcohol extremely well with its complexity of coffee, berries, and roasty things. Wow, I’m still pondering if this one was better than the Péché Mortel. Gimme more...