overall
Brewed by Nøgne Ø
Style: Barley Wine
Grimstad, Norway

RATINGS: 82   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 375   ABV: 12.5%
Fermented with sake yeast No. 9. 28.8 degrees P. 100 IBU.

Sigmund's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sigmund (4812) - Tau, - JAN 14, 2013
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2013 250 ml bottle in silk paper and metal cylinder, Cardinal Pub & Bar, Stavanger. ABV is 12.5%. Sampled side by side with 2. edition. Deep reddish brown colour, clearer and slightly paler than the 2. edition, low off-white head. The aroma here is somewhat better, notes of red wine and red beets. The flavour is definitely better, vinous notes (fortified wine), hints of oak, nicely balanced bitterness in the finish. Warming mouthfeel, but slightly less alcoholic than 2. ed. Quite good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cuso (3787) - Bratislava, SLOVAK REPUBLIC - APR 12, 2014
Bottle from my friend Henrik (Cunningham), big thank. Hazy browm color with medium white head. Promising aroma of malt, caramel, dried fruit, sake. Taste, ripe fruit, alcohol, honey, sake. Alcohol is well incorporated into beer. Good, although I expected more after promising aroma.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dfearnley (760) - Alberta, CANADA - APR 10, 2014
Bottle to tulip This beer has been sitting on my desk for ten minutes and the aromas floating across my desk are making my mouth water. Finally getting this in my hand has been great. Lots of caramel and grapefruit, molasses, resin, raisin, and wood. The colour is a dark reddish amber with a creamy off white head. The taste is really fruity, but of the overripe apple variety, mixed with caramel syrup and alcohol. The yeast didn’t make much of an impression on me, but I’m not a sake connoisseur, so placing sake yeast would be difficult. This is full bodied and quite thick and silky. It coats my mouth making the taste last and last until the subtle alcohol burn make my mouth start to water. This is quite enjoyable, but at 12.5%, I am happy that it’s a small bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
llkc (232) - århus, DENMARK - MAR 27, 2014
Nøgne Ø Red Horizon 3. edition Duft:svag duft. duft lidt sødlig malt,en form for frugt, Smag: meget sød smag af karamel. eftersmagen er virkelig varm og sprittet. fin øl bare ikke en jeg vil drikke igen til den pris

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
angel77 (511) - oviedo, SPAIN - MAR 23, 2014
Botella de 25 cl en el lúpulo, 22-03-2014, en el momento. Increíble aroma dulce y maltosos con toques frescos finales de sake. Inmenso sabor de maltas dulces con final ligeramente amargo y fresco de vinos blancos. Cuerpo intenso con 12.5 vol que se notan de principio a fin y dándole una gran sensación alcohólica sobretodo al final cuando calienta. Muy buena destacable su aroma y toque de vinos blancos y frescos. Para repetir lo antes posible.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
David10 (20) - Oviedo, SPAIN - MAR 22, 2014
22/03/2014 - Lúpulo feroz; Oviedo. Una cerveza muy peculiar con un aroma dulce muy pronunciado. Ciertos toques a sake que le dan un sabor dulzon que se acentua con la subida de temperatura. Mas parecida a un licor que a una cerveza, no te deja indiferente. Muy peculiar, hay que probarla si o si.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
GothGargoyle (933) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 14, 2014
Thanks to Bernt for the bottle. Hazy rust coloured with a pale head. Aroma is raisins, wood, leather, brown sugar. Sweet on the palate with a hint of boozy harshness on the finish. Taste is brown sugar, rice pudding, raisins, honey.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Beerhunter111 (5370) - Hasborn, GERMANY - MAR 7, 2014
250ml Flasche. Ins Glas ergießt sich ein rötlich-oranges Bier mit sehr wenig Schaum. Geruch sehr intensiv holzig, fruchtig malzig, süß, alkoholisch. Geschmack angenehm sanft malzig fruchtig, leicht alkoholisch, holzig, Dörrobst, süß.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
tfredvik (941) - Oslo, NORWAY - FEB 27, 2014
Rating #900!
Ok, I know that barley wines often have a very sweet and strong aroma of fruits gone bad, but this one is a bit too much. There are huge amounts of overripe, or rather fermented fruits, with additional hints of compost and rotting leaves. I always set the Aroma grade before I make my initial taste, but for this beer I have to make an exception. The weak 6 that I originally had put down is upgraded to a solid 7 after I’ve actually tasted the brew, it seems like I had to taste it before my nose managed to decode the complex message from the beer. So, I end up with a very positive impression of the sugary sweet aroma: sure there are overripe fruity notes, but they are actually rather pleasant, and I also get strong notes of caramel and dark dried fruits. I guess the confusion is caused by my lack of experience with barley wines. The very strong flavours are dominated by sweet dark dried fruits, especially raisins, and the overripe fruits are hidden in the back. I also get brown sugar, caramel and warming, vinous notes. The taste is so heavy sweet that even the heavy bitter 100 IBU finish can’t quite balance it. For a small 25 cl bottle it’s ok though, it doesn’t get cloying. The body is full and the carbonation is soft. In the glass the RH3 looks almost clear, it has a dark copper to red colour and the tiny, bubbly head doesn’t leave much lacing. A good one, but I think I liked the RH2 better.
[25 cl bottle, batch 742, enjoyed 2 years after brewing, from Vinmonopolet Online]

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
k92488 (166) - NORWAY - FEB 9, 2014
Backlog fra Ticks Jeg ticket alle de øllene, men så at de da ikke kom med på Statistikk, så nå blir det sånn ca... Etter best evne...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Brandman (1992) - Helsinki, FINLAND - JAN 17, 2014
Hazu dirty red brown body, very small khaki head. Aroma has sweet cabbage, raisins, bready malt. Flavour is alcoholic sugar, raisins and malt based liquor. Pretty hard and aome vegetables with alcohol in aftertaste. Not good.