overall
Brewed by Nøgne Ø
Style: Smoked
Grimstad, Norway

RATINGS: 558   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Norwegian: En kompleks barley wine med moderat røkprofil. Brygget på årets mørkeste dag.

English: This smoked Barley Wine is brewed with 30% smoked malt and 20% rye.

dwyerpg (4507) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 14, 2011
Been awhile since I gave a perfect score. This has a great smoky peaty aroma that persists for a long time. The flavor is intense. Lots of smoke, plenty of molasses and battle between the hops and malts. Spent over an hour enjoving this one night, so certainly a sipper, but what a beer. I’ve been singing the praises of this beer to all my beer head friends. Excellent!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Christopsy (96) - SCOTLAND - JUN 25, 2013
Pours dark brown with a lovely mocha head. Dark copper hue when held to light. Sweet, smokey, thick, and creamy. I’ve had barley wines before, but this sets a new standard. This is a most supreme tipple.

KnutAlbert (6013) - Oslo, NORWAY - MAR 3, 2009
Bottle at Olympen, Oslo (while stocks last!) Coca cola color, fine lacing. Strong hoppy aromas, like the middle of a pine forest. Low carbonation. Tar, old ropes, salt liquorice, tobacco. Lots of sweetness, but perfectly balanced. Alcohol warming, bitter finish. The beer of the year can be declared already!

SudsMcDuff (5789) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - JUL 6, 2009
Put the kettle on, i have stories,...Pours a dark brown black, with a fantastic cream head, pretty good foam for such a high gravity brew.. . lacing is quite the looker too .. . Smell of 2 day old honey ham, molasses, needle with blood, and light lifetime outdoor bbq/smoke .. . what are you people stupid? ah ha, you like a little abuse.. . . woah! woah! wow, love it!!! smoke and american hops dominate the flavour, woo wee!! fantastic complexities to this! a twisted super smooth rauchbier on super smokey steroids!! ...I really don’t think i need to say more, this is pure enjoyment in a glass, Nøgne has not just hit a homerun, not even a grand slam.. they won the world series, sold all the players for cash, closed down the league, and started a completely new sport called the SDL (Sunturnbrew Drinker League).. This was one of my most wanted after beers ever, and did it ever deliver!!!!!!!& of the nicest beers in the entire universe, yaaaa!!

smoke and wine, gods gift!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jimthechap (1560) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 20, 2012
It seems unintentionally ironical that I have had this beer in my possession for three weeks and the first time I get to sample it turns out to be the 21st of December (NZ time), as close as you could hope for the solstice (Summer here, Winter there). It seems beer bridges the world. So in the spirit of adventure and in the knowledge that at 12.48am this will be my last beer tonight and at 7am when my beloved wakes me up I will hopefully still be drunk on this beer, I venture: I have pried off the lid and before pouring can smell malt, a whiff of smoke and danger in a bottle. I’m REALLY looking forward to this. The colour in the glass is deep mahogany amber with a coarse latte coloured head that thought about sitting there but is slowly losing impetus, leaving a stubborn collar of lace. The aroma first and foremost is tarry smoke, like the inside of a smoke house that has used reddish aromatic timbers. Alongside are aromas of dates, burnt caramel, marzipan, toffee, fruit leather, road tar melting in the sun, rata honey, sawn timber, mace, licorice, cowhide, tree gum, eucalyptus bark. I could go on. I should go on. I have to drink: Oily and slick and then a riot of smoke, oil and burning timber. Caramel comes to the fore and then up comes stewed apricots. It becomes fluffy and sherbety and then dried and I get memories of warmed sweetened condensed milk. The longer it sits, the more I get slightly burnt toast, crackers and fluff (that’s the mouthfeel still sitting there. It is rich and velvety with dehydrated fruit, muscatele raisins and blacked trees on the finish. Troops, this is from just one sip. I still have 95% of the rest of the bottle to go. I can state with relative certainty that it will take me a long time to finish this bottle and that I will be buying more. To my friends in the North, you can have your sun back now, as long as I can have more of this. I have found it too difficult to find faults with this beer. This is it. This is my best ever.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
davidm (1928) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - MAR 28, 2013
Bottle from BlackHearts&Sparrows. Great Xmas ale, strong but balanced. Aromas of smoke, caramel, wood, hint of alcohol. Taste is sweet, with bitter notes, and long length. Palate is syrupy, and full bodied. Dark brown, with a frothy head.

SPDickerman (915) - Texas, USA - JUN 28, 2014
Pours dark murky brown with a thin ring of light beige fizz. Smells smokey and of vanilla. Taste is caramel, smoke, hints of vanilla, and a touch of booze. Full-bodied with a smooth texture and soft mouth-carbonation, Nøgne Ø Sunturnbrew finishes with a soft lingering sweetness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
matis (81) - Warsaw, POLAND - JUN 19, 2014
Bottle. Hazy, dark brown with rubby flashes. Wet woody smoke, roasted grains, some peat, some ash, caramel - superb beginning. Taste. Smoke again, sweet roasted caramel, dry fruits, raisins, plum, red wine notes, earth, chocolate, coffee liquier, bitter aftertaste. Full body, flat carbonation - everything plays just perfect here. Brilliant!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
OleR (4787) - Oslo, NORWAY - MAR 4, 2009
500 ml bottle, batch #400 @ Olympen, Oslo. A dense yellowish one-finger lasting head upon a dark reddish-brown, almost translucent body. Delicate sweet and ashy malt aroma. Loads of inviting fruit scents (plums, raisins, ripe berries and tropical), before a fresh, piny hoppiness take the lead. Also some nice whiffs of marzipan, wood and peat. Taste is both powerful and rounded, and perfectly balanced. Deliciously sweet, roasted dark malts with a subdued smoky accent. A bold piny and fruity bitterness together with notes of wild berries, ash, wet wood and tar. Big body. Feels smooth as silk in the mouth. Everlasting warm, bittersweet finish. A unique, and extremely well-crafted beer from Norway’s finest.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
77ships (3573) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - FEB 12, 2012
In the middle of winter the four of us were cruising through rural Flanders on a ridiculous & highly expensive beer run, the trunk of the car as well as a part of the backseat were stashed to the brim with goodies as we were driving towards Alvinne brewery. After a couple of stops we were carrying two crates of Hanssens, an assortment of lambics, De Molen, Mikkeller, The Bruery, Jester King, Nøgne Ø,… beers, totalling probably close to 150 bottles, so you get the picture, you have probably been involved in a very similar situation. Around us were nothing but fields, some trees & a half-frozen river when suddenly our front wheel sunk into a huge, gigantic hole in the middle of the freaking road which we didn’t see, the car bounced up and down with huge brisk absurdity as we saw our wheel cap flying across the road & heard the loudest clunk of glass crashing against glass & simultaneously all of us though “OH MY GOD, WE JUST BROKE ALL OF OUR BEER”, completely unconcerned for the car, so you know where our priorities lie. Immediately Dave pulled up to the side of the street, as Man-ki got out to retrieve our wheel cap, a process during which he inexplicably managed to loose only his left glove and oddly not his right one. Michiel and I proceeded to check our bottles one by one (because once again priorities) with an unpleasant feeling because once we open our trunk we were greeted by the smell of beer soaking into the carpeting & our bags. Luckily (although I am still missing 1 bottle, Dave did you take one of my beers by accident?) we discovered only 1 bottle did get damaged, one of our bottles of Sunturnbrew of which the cap had partially open spraying beer all over the trunk during the crash, oddly this is the second time I have had this happen with a Nøgne Ø. The bottle being still 60 – 70 % full we decided (or at least I did) on the spot in one of our Hanssens geuze glasses because well yeah… Which led to the following scenery of four guys standing besides a car parked besides a small rural roads amidst fields next to some barren trees growing on the sides of a half-frozen river with huge chunks of ice flowing in it in the freezing winter with an open truck filled to the brim with beer drinking a Norwegian smoked barley wine from a geuze glass, a sight not extremely common in rural Belgium no matter what you might think although definitely not one I am involved in for the first time. The beer was served into inappropriate glassware at the incorrect temperature on the account of it being minus 10 °C outside. The beer poured a dark brown with a creamy head on the account of it being heavily shaken not only moments before but during the whole trip, the bottom of the bottle contained a layer of foam as thick & creamy as whipped cream which I poured upon the grounds as an offering to the gods for saving our beer, our car & us, in that order & preference. With completely frozen hands, I proceeded to drinking the beer, after appropriately appreciating its bouquet first. Passing it around, we hummed all in agreement, this is a pretty damn good beer. Delicious aroma of smoke, with a touch of campfire to it, very meaty, crisp bacon dark malts,… Taste follows in suit, creamy smoke, campfire, very meaty, crisp bacon, lots of heavy dark malts, wood, hint of liquorish, tad coffee, cocoa, caramel, dark fruits, bbq, delicious, thick, creamy body, slightly chunky feel to it, maybe because we shook up the sediment, who knows? Little carbonation 50 cl. bottle – batch 474 – 2009 vintage – Afterwards in an act of uncontrolled madness (only on my behalf) I gave the bottle a Viking funeral. Redunclous, probably the official moment where I took the “beergeek” thing way too far.