Nøgne Ø Weiss

Style: German Hefeweizen
Grimstad, Norway
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
11 degrees P, 18 IBU, 4,5 vol% alk.: Our own interpretation of a German wheat beer. Cloudy ale with a fruity sourness. We recommend that this be drank with the yeast sediment. Good with seafood. Recommended serving temperature 6 degrees Celsius.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
tarjei (1954) - Bryne, NORWAY - NOV 11, 2007
50 cl bottle. I had a cople of bottles of this one some years ago. I din´t´like it as much as Wit, but still a ok weissbeer. I hope they will try again one day.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
yngwie (13127) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - JUN 27, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2008 Bottled, #8 (bottled 030621). The beer hasn’t been brewed for three years, but one bottle was found on the brewery when moving to the new location. I will rerate when a new batch is brewed sometime. It looks slightly hazy and golden-orange, and low on Co2, with a white head. The aroma is mild, with fruits dominating, pineapple, peach, banana and some spices. The flavor is the same, with some cloves in the finish. A bit thin and sticky mouthfeel. I remember this to be better three years ago, but whether this is due to my preferences or the cellaring time, I don’t know. (060530)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
gunnfryd (10201) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - JUN 25, 2006
Bottle. Tasted many in 2004. Tasted again in 2006 from a bottle " best before date 2004" More matured but not out of date. Orange colour with a white head. Aroma is tropical fruits and yeast. Flavour is the same.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beer4000 (4395) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - JUN 19, 2006
500 ml bottle. Tasted fresh in 2003 but without any rating in mind. Not my favorite beer from Nøgne Ø. Tasted again in 2006 from a bottle with “best before date” in 2004. Presumably not much difference from the fresh version. A bit more matured but not out of date. The color is a bit orange with some milky/cloudy character. OK head, does not pour with the disreputable volcano foam top that some of these beer did in 2003. Taste is relatively neutral, not unpleasant, a hint of citrus fruit and in fact quite pleasant. The sediment in the bottle is almost like glued so I did not had any change to do the yeast experience. Still the least interesting beer from Nøgne Ø and ironically one of the better beer on the Norwegian marked.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Sigmund (4939) - Tau, NORWAY - SEP 19, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2006 Rerate: This time I had the beer from a fresh batch, and the dead yeast aroma and flavour was gone. Instead the aroma and flavour were now overpowering yeasty - but from fresh yeast this time (which is not unpleasant). Far better, but I still think the brewers use too much yeast in this brew. But the head of this beer is less enormous when poured than many other weissbiers. So far the least interesting of the Nøgne Ø beers I’ve had. Original rating: (500 ml bottle). Thick sediment in bottle. Like the brewers recommend, I turned the bottle upside down a couple of times to get the maximum out of the yeast, but having my experience with the Wit in fresh memory, I waited a little longer before opening the bottle this time! Pours with a large head, but not quite as large as some other Weissbiers. Colour is cloudy golden. Weird aroma, not typical hefe. The cloves are there, but the dominant smell is of dead yeast. Must have been over the top, despite "brewed date" being 21.06.03, and "best before date" being 21.06.04. I have a few bottles left, think I’ll leave the sediment alone in those. Flavour is OK, but nothing special. Drier than most German Hefeweizens.