overall

RATINGS: 3923   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russiaís Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. Itís a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling itóA sincere friend is not born instantly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - JUL 11, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2006 Re-rate. All right, going to try this one again. Bottle obtained in a trade with Blankboy. Looks really nice - black, really creamy beige head, perfect symmetrical streaming bubbles at the top. So that goes from 4 to 5. Aroma Iíll probably keep at 7 - it is nice, some roast, a few hops, but there are far better in this style. Taste - some roast up front and than bam, tons of hops. More roast, coffee, more hops giving way to a bitter finish. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy / frothy - Iíll take palate up from 3 to 4. Taste is quite nice, but I still found it a bit unbalanced - torn between a 7 or 8 there. I liked this much better the second time - the alcohol never really comes up, but I still find it just a tad too hoppy for an impy. Lovely stuff though, always nice to see how your taste changes... Original 7/4/7/3/14 Bottle. Black pour, small tan head. Roasted flavours and hops in decent aroma. Small to medium mouthfeel. Taste dominated by hops, which surprised me. The roasted flavours stay firmly in the background as the beer is dominated by hops, making it unbalanced in my opinion. I found it too thin for the style as well, more of a big porter than anything. Not overly complex. Nice and enjoyable, but rather disappointing given its stature on this site.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jcwattsrugger (11553) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JUL 10, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 27, 2013 050710-12 oz bottle-pours a thick foamy light brown head and deep black colored beer. Malt, hops, licorice and alcohol are found in the aroma. Taste is just as the aroma previewed. Reminds me of Heavyweightís (NJ) Perkunos Hammer Imperial Porter. Finishes with a bite. Not my style. 2.8*************multiple repeats 3.6

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
9er (86) - Maryland, USA - JUL 10, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2013 Whoa, this is one dayum good stout. Too bad it only comes in a 4 pack. This beer is good but not exactly yummy. It is different than a sweet stout as it has a robust bitter flavor from the hops but also contributes a chocolate flavor. This is a very rich tasting beer that is worth keeping in you fridge for meals that call for a big beer. There is a roasted malt and woody sensation on the palate coupled with chocolate and resin.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
LoveCaissa (873) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 9, 2005
Impressive appearance. Fine aroma with salt and chocolate. Flavour is roasted and heavy with chocolate and coffee ending in a long, dry bitter finish.

ElGaucho (2299) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JUL 6, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 18, 2006 9-18-06 re-rate: Iím not going to change my rating, but the bottle Iím having right now doesnít seem deserving of a perfect score. It is more one-dimensionally dark chocolate without the flowery hop bouquet and finish. Could be the age of the bottle, which of which I canít comment because North Coast doesnít do any freshness dating. Iíve probably had it in my fridge for 4 months or so. Ar 8, Ap 4, Fl 8, Pal 5, Ov 17 (4.2). 7-6-05: Before I even looked at the description, I was thinking "fruity nose". Truly a wonderful bouquet, complete with hops and super ropes. Fully opaque body. Large brown head, which was especially pronounced after I transfered the beer from a shaker glass to a tulip in keeping with the appropriate glassware for the style. Lasting head; very impressive. Excellent, tree ring lace. The first time I had this was when I offered it at one of my early beer tastings. I thought it was overrated at the time, but I know now that I simply didnít understand it. 9% ABV is hidden well. It really is the perfect ABV. Interestingly, when I was in Beverages and More in Redwood City, I saw a scruffy, vagrant looking guy scuffle in and walk out with a 4-pack of Old Rasputin. That blew me away. All I ever see in Minnesota is those guys picking up Bud, Mich Golden Draft or MGD. Flavor is near to actual perfection; some alcohol burn, some hop, some chocolate and even a touch of those super ropes I like so much! This stuff is really awesome! I really canít imagine a better imperial stout. It is clearly deserving of only my 4th ever perfect score. A little suprising it took me so long to procure the 2nd most accesible beer in the Ratebeer Top 50.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
fluids (364) - Massachusetts, USA - JUL 3, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 18, 2005 So dark you cannot see through. Brown head dissapears quickly. Thi s has to be one of the darkest stouts I have had as far as color. Itís about as lasting as Rasputinís lust for life. A long slightly bitter rich taste. Starts with chocolate then goes coffee (thatís when the bitterness kicks in) then it tails off. Then you want more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Likerighteous (120) - Pflugerville, Texas, USA - JUL 3, 2005
Now hereís a sout worth shouting about. Grapevine Market 4-pack. Poured like midnight with great big double latteí mocha colored head. A delight to the nostrils promising heft and sustenance. Best stout to cross these two lips. Attractive packaging. Reasonable ransom. Worthy tribute to a humble man of God.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
UNCCTF (512) - Cary, North Carolina, USA - JUL 2, 2005
Bottled. This is a very complex brew - fruit, chocolate, coffee are the three things that came at me the most. Very warm feeling as it goes down. Not as good as Stoneís imp. stout, but this is damn close.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerandrugby (210) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 1, 2005
bottle. Mmmm, very tasty Imperial stout, although I still like Yeti and Goose Island bourbon a little better. rich dark black color with a thinish head. Good full palate. wonderful aroma, flavor profile of christmas fruits, raisins, plums, and all that, slight spice, caramel, chocolate, coffee, pretty good but there are better ISís out there.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jefcon (1502) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUN 28, 2005
Amazing aromas of warm chocolate, ginger, clove, coriander, orange and cherry. Nearly impenatrable and brown in the glass with a ring of light brown foam. Tasting reveals a soft chocolate with well-developed chicory, spice, and fireplace notes. There is fruit here, too, with jellied orange the most prominent. Palate is very good for an imperial stout. The chocolate and spices linger. Alcohol is well-hidden, and this is one of my new favorites.