overall

RATINGS: 3630   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A rich, intense brew with a robust palate, a fruity nose and a warming finish. Very complex.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
123456green (46) - houston, Texas, USA - MAR 22, 2004
Dark with med head of dark brown. Malts and hops feed off each other very well. Finish is of coffee and brown sugar. Not too sweet just right....Even better on tap

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rastacouere (6107) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 22, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 11, 2007 Blind Tasting, thanks Ecrvich It pours very dark brown, definitely not opaque with an off-white film that sticks to the glass rather well. Aroma is assertively malty which shows as bubblegum, melon, milk and candy flavours. Hop profile is rather chalky, dry and alcohol is not particularly well hidden. Fruity palate with watermelon, pepper. This is a complex beer with a sweet side that I love, but I just can’t get myself to appreciate this astringent, chalky and roasty sour hoppiness and very obvious alcohol. It just doesn’t work with me. Medim bodied with rather intense carbonation. Another beer that doesn’t measure up to my expectations which I start to guess are simply too high.

My latest samplings showed me a very pleasant brew indeed, more balanced than most, focusing on dark chocolate nicely and looking splendid with its firm beige head. Ehh.. I had given it 3.3 the last time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
tiggmtl (4548) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 21, 2004
Raisins, chalk, salami-meatiness in the aroma. Dark brown - almost black with tan head that covers. Some lacing. Coffee roastiness dominates. Sweet chocolate flavours with some sherry apparent. Big roastiness in the finish with chocolate on top. Carbonation is lively for style though paradoxically, roastiness makes it seem a bit flat. Body is a bit light. Bottle. Blind tasting #7.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
chispito (21) - California, USA - MAR 15, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2006 Bottled from Trader Joe’s (I also get it at BevMo sometimes, depending on price). Big, roasty, thick, alcoholic and rather delicious. Worth two lesser beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - MAR 14, 2004
How do they pack so much flavor into such a light mouthfeel? The consistency of this beer belongs to a belgian or a pale ale not an imperial sout. The flavor, however, is roasty, hoppy, chocolate and just really yummy. I prefer my stouts thick but this is way up there!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 14, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2005 This is one serious looking stout. Very dark black color with a guiness-like head that holds on tight to the glas the wholle way down. Strong nose and flavor of dark chocolate a roasted malts. Slight alcohol warming feel and subtle hops in finish. Great beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
kumite56 (469) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - MAR 12, 2004
This is a very nice imperial stout. Incredible aroma with a fruity nose and noticable hints of liquorice and alcohol. Appearance is nice with a very dark brown to almost black body with a tan head. Upon the first sip a noticable and not unlikable bite appears.. quickly replaced bye the expctedd sweet (lightly) malt. The finish is hoppy bitter and nicely done. A nice beer and on the repurchase list.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jimmack (1222) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - MAR 9, 2004
Very black with a thin brown head. Predominantly malty flavor with a nice hop finish. Nice warm feeling going down thanks to it's 8.9%abv.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
EdPaulsen (117) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - MAR 8, 2004
for me, too much. very, surprisingly high hops, lots of roasted taste that is very bitter, with a high alcohol taste. just too much. perhaps interesting to taste, for a sip, but i could hardly finish a 12oz bottle because of the intensity. well made, but not my thing, and i don't think worth a 100 percentile.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tomxcs (320) - Berkeley, California, USA - MAR 5, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2004 Black, with a generous brown-tan head. Coffee, hops, burnt nose -- I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle. At first sweet, then more dry & alcoholic. It wasn't as complex as I thought it might be, and I definitely did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I grew tired of it after 5-6 ounces. In my opinion, an above average imperial stout with a wonderful aroma, but I don't think it belongs in the Top 50. RERATE, Mar 20 2004: After my third Old Rasputin, I've changed my mind.