overall

RATINGS: 3692   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling it—A sincere friend is not born instantly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
EdPaulsen (117) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - MAR 8, 2004
for me, too much. very, surprisingly high hops, lots of roasted taste that is very bitter, with a high alcohol taste. just too much. perhaps interesting to taste, for a sip, but i could hardly finish a 12oz bottle because of the intensity. well made, but not my thing, and i don't think worth a 100 percentile.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tomxcs (320) - Berkeley, California, USA - MAR 5, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2004 Black, with a generous brown-tan head. Coffee, hops, burnt nose -- I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle. At first sweet, then more dry & alcoholic. It wasn't as complex as I thought it might be, and I definitely did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I grew tired of it after 5-6 ounces. In my opinion, an above average imperial stout with a wonderful aroma, but I don't think it belongs in the Top 50. RERATE, Mar 20 2004: After my third Old Rasputin, I've changed my mind.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - MAR 5, 2004
Very dark with no head just a few bubbles. Aroma is of roasted coffee and hops. Taste is very very nice.Sweet and not to thick with some chocolate flavors.Alcohol is strong and warming. Finishes well balanced with perfect bitterness. Great Stout!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - MAR 3, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 5, 2004 Bottled. Rate No. 1000; Black with thick beige head. Rich, juicy burnt malt flavours. Sharp, bitter, possibly over done flavours. Tannic flavours line the side of the mouth and deliver a dryness that begs cleansing. Strongly flavoured to be sure but not nearly as complex as some would have you believe from the scriptures below. Thanks to my good buddy Silk for this bottle, chris_o for his part earlier tonight in getting me to 999, and my better half Cass, who has put up with the rating for the past eleven months. Also thanks to the other wicked folk I've had beer with over the past year. You, freaks and Jedi's, know who you are.

HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - MAR 2, 2004
Thick dark beer with a small dense brown head. The aroma is intense with roasted barley and hoppiness. The taste has a thick mouthfeel with evidence of alcohol in the finish. Flavor is bitter and hoppy with a coffee roastedness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 29, 2004
I has this yesterday Cask conditioned at Kclinger's Tavern in Hanover Pa. Rich and malty with a large roasted malt aroma. Full dark tan head that stood for quite some time, black opaque color. Godd full roasted malt flavors with some hop bitterness. Has a slightly bittersweet molasses flavor but the bitterness balances it. An extremely good Imperial Stout!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - FEB 28, 2004
This is my second sampling of this. I bought it about six months ago before I liked stouts, and this one about kicked my ass. Pours a dark brown with a very nice tan head that stays around just long enough to leave a decent lace. Smells toasty, as in coffee, caramel, and a touch of hops, but there's also a metalic *smell* in this beer. Very weird. Tastes metalic as well. It's not just the mouthfeel, it's a tastes. The flavors echo the scent. Mouthfeel is crisp and sharp with what would be a nice mineral feel but it's closer to the metalic side. Drinkability might be a bit higher but this is the first beer I've had and I'm buzzing while there's still an inch of beer left in my glass.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DYCSoccer17 (3302) - Woodland, California, USA - FEB 28, 2004
It's about time I get my grubby fingers on a bottle of this. Pours the proverbial thick opaque black with a 1.5cm tan head that unfortunately dissipates all too quickly. Aroma is malty with roast coffee and chocolate notes. Sweeter than expected, especially in the end. Ethanol is unfortunately overly noticeable in the middle. A fair imperial stout, but the 9% is just way too detectable. Personally, I think this one is a little overrated. Too much booze presence in this guy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
scoobyluv (504) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - FEB 27, 2004
after having the speedway, this just does not compare. this seemed a typical stout. not very impessive in flavor or palate. weak at best

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rudolf (2340) - Buffalo, New York, USA - FEB 26, 2004
Rich malt, plum, sweet coffee and a hint of alcohol in the nose. Black with a thin tan head. Big malt flavor, nice coffee bitterness. Rasin and plum and a bitter alcohol finish. Wonderful silky mouthfeel. The only thing I would change in this beer would be to turn down the hops.