overall

RATINGS: 3848   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling it—A sincere friend is not born instantly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrnkMcDermott (2865) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - OCT 4, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 9, 2007 Bottle.Rating #400! So, Papa Grigori, we meet at last. A seductive deep roast flavor rises from that first sip. I detect a not unexpected raisiny note to you, and then something that whispers in my ear, "cherries." For something in such a tiny bottle, your taste is big and strong, deep and dark, deep and dark. Am I aware of your stoutish bitterness, that cuts through the smoothness of your malts. Yes, I am, Papa Perhaps it is from the time the Romanov partisans tried to drown you in the Neva.
So I made my fourth hundred reviews in a little over 4 months. That trip to Russia sure help me find new cheap beers. Still, pretty good for a homebrewer with cases of his own stuff to drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beaconstreet (811) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 4, 2004
Fantastic brew. Indeed warming, rises right up your nostrils, makes you want to barge outside the bar and stir things up on the Upper East Side (had at David Copperfields, NYC). Excellent fidelity in glass, no distaste at all. Shockingly wonderful. Delicious aftertaste on the tounge, tasted like boxed chocolates. Mm! Especially good for the style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
sfontain (830) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 3, 2004
Wonderful-looking beer, nearly black with a huge, creamy, brown head with serious staying power. Aroma pretty roasty with lots of chocolate and some dark fruit. Flavor quite roasty, super-malty, nutty, vanilla, and coffee; superb alcohol warmth. Mouthfeel is very strong--slick and silky and creamy; long, lingering roast finish. Overall, I don’t find this beer quite as enjoyable as the individual components’ ratings might suggest. While it is very good, it’s not particularly easy-drinking. Still, excellent stout.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 3, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2005 Black color with a head of light mocha. Crude nose, with fruity and resinous hops, which is not what I want to smell when I dip my nose into an Imperial, sorry. Flavor is fairly thin, lacking richness, excessively bitter and hoppy. Lightly watery texture. A mediocre Imperial, and while my natural hophead tendencies make me want to like it, in terms of style, there is absolutely no malt complexity.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rlgk (12025) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - OCT 3, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2005 Black. Great balanced aroma with nuts, malt, toffee and hops. Flavor is nutty and malty with a vinous feeling. Vanilla and cream notes. Also hoppy and with a nice bitterness in the finish. Defineatly one of the best beers I have tried.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SkyinBrian (430) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 2, 2004
served ice cold at the u of c pub. this is my first imperial stout and it was very tasty. smells very fruity. roasty, chocolate, coffee, warming of alcohol. dry finish. very nice the 10.5 ounces were very satisfying.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NobleSquirrel (3438) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 2, 2004
On tap 10/2/4. To be honest, this is the first beer that made me understand why one should drink darker beers at warmer temperatures. When it’s cold, there is a weird hairspray-type taste between the beginning and the finish taht I attribute to the alcohol. At any rate, once it was warmed to a reasonable temperature, it was quite interesting. So here goes: Black as night, with a dark, dark head. Looks like dirty oil. Smell is surprisingly floral in character, incredibly pleasant, though not hinting at what’s to come in the taste. As it warmed, the aroma leaned toward chocolate. When it enters your mouth, not quite as thick as you’d think, but still quite substantial. Tastes of some fruitiness, followed by some coffee, and, ultimately, very rich chocolate. As you near the end, the taste lends itself in the direction of star anise. A sensational beer, a pleasure to sample.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
IMtheOptimator (1162) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - OCT 2, 2004
Pours very dark with a thin brown head that sits on top of the beer. The aroma is very refreshing, with a strangely light, fruity character--very different than what one would expect from this style. Unfortunately, then we come to the taste. I couldn’t exactly tell what I was supposed to detect besides alcohol. The flavor burned with a bitter sourness that came off from something you’d clean part of your house with rather than drink. I had the sad duty of doing a drainpour after finishing about half of it, well after my stomach had started becoming nauseated. There was no sweetness and no "layers" that I could detect. I’ve had other stouts that were far more complex than this and where the alcohol was hidden much more skillfully. What happened here? And why is this rated so highly? Did I just merely pick up a bad bottle? I must admit that I’m very disheartened over this. Not since Guinness Draught have I found myself this far in disagreement with the ratebeer community.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Mephistefales (47) - USA - OCT 2, 2004
Absolutely on of my favorites! Not a gimmick stout -- just damn good. Strong, dark, complex, lasting flavor -- all the qualities I look for in a stout. They could change the name to "Gold Standard" but that wouldn’t portray the sinister essence of a good stout as well as its current title.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
arhythmt (69) - USA - SEP 28, 2004
Every time I have one of these beers, I regret it about halfway through. Brown head and body, incredibly rich, potent alcohol flavor. Tasty but it becomes a bit much rather quickly.