overall

RATINGS: 3727   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling it—A sincere friend is not born instantly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
chispito (21) - California, USA - MAR 15, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2006 Bottled from Trader Joe’s (I also get it at BevMo sometimes, depending on price). Big, roasty, thick, alcoholic and rather delicious. Worth two lesser beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - MAR 14, 2004
How do they pack so much flavor into such a light mouthfeel? The consistency of this beer belongs to a belgian or a pale ale not an imperial sout. The flavor, however, is roasty, hoppy, chocolate and just really yummy. I prefer my stouts thick but this is way up there!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 14, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2005 This is one serious looking stout. Very dark black color with a guiness-like head that holds on tight to the glas the wholle way down. Strong nose and flavor of dark chocolate a roasted malts. Slight alcohol warming feel and subtle hops in finish. Great beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
kumite56 (471) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - MAR 12, 2004
This is a very nice imperial stout. Incredible aroma with a fruity nose and noticable hints of liquorice and alcohol. Appearance is nice with a very dark brown to almost black body with a tan head. Upon the first sip a noticable and not unlikable bite appears.. quickly replaced bye the expctedd sweet (lightly) malt. The finish is hoppy bitter and nicely done. A nice beer and on the repurchase list.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jimmack (1222) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - MAR 9, 2004
Very black with a thin brown head. Predominantly malty flavor with a nice hop finish. Nice warm feeling going down thanks to it's 8.9%abv.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
EdPaulsen (117) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAR 8, 2004
for me, too much. very, surprisingly high hops, lots of roasted taste that is very bitter, with a high alcohol taste. just too much. perhaps interesting to taste, for a sip, but i could hardly finish a 12oz bottle because of the intensity. well made, but not my thing, and i don't think worth a 100 percentile.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tomxcs (321) - Berkeley, California, USA - MAR 5, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2004 Black, with a generous brown-tan head. Coffee, hops, burnt nose -- I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle. At first sweet, then more dry & alcoholic. It wasn't as complex as I thought it might be, and I definitely did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I grew tired of it after 5-6 ounces. In my opinion, an above average imperial stout with a wonderful aroma, but I don't think it belongs in the Top 50. RERATE, Mar 20 2004: After my third Old Rasputin, I've changed my mind.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - MAR 5, 2004
Very dark with no head just a few bubbles. Aroma is of roasted coffee and hops. Taste is very very nice.Sweet and not to thick with some chocolate flavors.Alcohol is strong and warming. Finishes well balanced with perfect bitterness. Great Stout!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - MAR 3, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 5, 2004 Bottled. Rate No. 1000; Black with thick beige head. Rich, juicy burnt malt flavours. Sharp, bitter, possibly over done flavours. Tannic flavours line the side of the mouth and deliver a dryness that begs cleansing. Strongly flavoured to be sure but not nearly as complex as some would have you believe from the scriptures below. Thanks to my good buddy Silk for this bottle, chris_o for his part earlier tonight in getting me to 999, and my better half Cass, who has put up with the rating for the past eleven months. Also thanks to the other wicked folk I've had beer with over the past year. You, freaks and Jedi's, know who you are.

HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - MAR 2, 2004
Thick dark beer with a small dense brown head. The aroma is intense with roasted barley and hoppiness. The taste has a thick mouthfeel with evidence of alcohol in the finish. Flavor is bitter and hoppy with a coffee roastedness.