overall

RATINGS: 3681   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russiaís Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. Itís a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling itóA sincere friend is not born instantly.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinz (3251) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - JAN 2, 2004
Palate reset beer on return from Belgium. Black with brown around the edges. Heady aromas of spruce and chocolate, with flavors a spot on match. Full bodied and excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Enniskillen (2029) - Salinas, California, USA - JAN 2, 2004
Real black beer. Definite Dark Choclate present. I also didn't notice the alcohol content until I read it. Flavor sticks around and doesn't fade fast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
haddon90 (1423) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 1, 2004
Ahhhh rating 400. Wow that's a lot of beers that I have had. Deep black pour with a creamy tan head. Hints of chocolate. Some alcohol lingers in teh aroma, which is fine with me. Smooth and drinkable. Dark chocolate dominates the flavor, but lingering in the background is roasted malt and some hints of coffee. I can taste some of the alcohol, but that never bothered me to begin with. A really good Stout, but doesn't rank up to the Stouts I've had already. Still, very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beastiefan2k (2359) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - DEC 31, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2007 This is a great beer, looks like any stout but tastes much better. Not a hint of alcohol, I didnít even realize how strong it was until I checked the label after I drank the beer and boy was I surprised. Smoooooooth.7/4/7/5/16

Itís about time I gave this a proper rerate. An old favorite and this was definitely the first Imperial Stout I ever had. Completely black body with a medium brown head that turns into a surface covering sticky lacing. Aroma is strong with light chocolate with a good amount of bitter, leafy hops. Taste is similarly well balanced with sweetness of chocolate and bittering hops. Leaves an airy green piney leafy aftertaste. The aftertaste is light and fresh which balances the heavier flavor. Its a heavy medium body with a lightly below average carbonation. The mouthfeel comes out a bit silky. Just a bit of alcohol felt at the very back of the throat. I remember this to be a lot less hoppy and more roasty. Either I changed or the beer changed. But either way itís still obviously a well crafted beer. 8/5/8/4/16

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 31, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2004 I'm rating this one from memory as I didn't take notes at the time I enjoyed it. Don't know if I'm breaking a taboo here but I just had to rate this glorious beer. I recall loving how it poured and feeling warmed inside at the chocolate and coffee flavours. I know it's an Imperial Stout so these flavours are no surprise - still, this beer lingered in my memory for a long time so I can't help but rate it highly. ReRate: Had it again and was blown away again. This is a fantastic beer. Basically black with a rich and creamy tan head that mostly diminishes but leaves beautiful artistic lacing as you fight the urge to chug this nectar. Full of roated malt and bittersweet chocolate aromas before hitting you with a beautiful balance of bitter and slightly sweet - there's coffee and chocolate again and then some more chocolate in the dry finish. I had to fight to keep from downing it, but I'm glad I did because as it warmed a bit it got even better! Superb.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
abents (1) - USA - DEC 30, 2003 does not count
Nose of chocolates and alchol. Dark color with slight head. Tastes of chocolate, coffee and alcohol. A little bitter at end. Very warming and smooth. Delicious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrinkingbuddyD (129) - Warsaw, New York, USA - DEC 27, 2003
slitght chocolate aroma. dark red/black color. small tan head. alot of alcohol comes through in the flavor. has a slight coffe flavor along with some chocolate. It really improves as it warms. more chocolate flavor comes through and there is more balance between the alcohol and the malts. delivers a strong stomach warming.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - DEC 21, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 5, 2004 Pours almost pitch black with a nice smooth tan head. Nice and bitter and oh so very smooth. Chocolaty and roasted flavors throughout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - DEC 20, 2003
Very dark brown, almost opaque, nice tan head. Dark malty aroma with some dark chocolate. Flavor was very malty, some alcohol flavors, maybe brandy, along with chocolate and a coffee finish and aftertaste. Medium-full body, but not nearly as full as some of its contemporaries. Very good, not the best, though.

estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 20, 2003
Dark brown, opaque, big tan head. Nose of Cascades and chocolate. Cascades and alcohol dominate the flavor, with brandyish notes and some coffee and chocolate. Bitter finish. Mouthfeel is rather thin for the style (although the most recent example I had was DFH WWS and that drives my comparison, so maybe that's not entirely fair). The nose and style suggested that this was reminiscent of Storm King, but this one is nowhere near as good as Victory's elixir. RERATE after two and a half (plus a couple of barleywines so you'll excuse the typos!): The alcohol presence is gone, and the chocolate is far more prevalent. I'm starting to like this one a lot more, but I may just be drunk or someshthing. ;)