overall

RATINGS: 3726   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russiaís Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. Itís a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling itóA sincere friend is not born instantly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
hotstuff (4092) - Indiana, USA - JAN 11, 2004
A small sized light brown head that was creamy and smooth with fine-medium sized bubbles that was mostly lasting. The body was opaque with some visible carbonation and a black hue. The nose was malty, chocolate and some alcohol notes. The flavor was chocolate, malt and coffee. The mouthfeel was somewhat smooth. There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
thedm (4935) - Fort Wayne, USA - JAN 11, 2004
This brew poured a large head of finely sized brown colored mostly lasting bubbles that left behind a opaque dark brown colored body with no visible carbonation and a fair lace. The aroma is nice with a big brown malt scent and a mild hop content. The mouth feel is initially biting with a lingering hop bite. The flavor is malty with a hop note and a strong molasses flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
mkobes (2140) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - JAN 11, 2004
Big beer, black in color. Full bodied. Very roasty. I really enjoyed this. Hoppy aroma. Very complex. Tasted caramel too. Decent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - JAN 10, 2004
Big and black with tan head. Big hoppy aroma, with roasty undetones. Chewy big beer with lots of hops. Decent, but could age a couple of years.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JAN 4, 2004
Dark brown with clinging beige head. Aroma is smoky, gassy, charred wood, vanilla bean and alcohol. Flavor is slightly sweet, milky, and charred to the extreme. WAY overboard on the black patent malt here. Lots of espresso notes here, but lacking the fruity complexity of my favorite imperial stouts. Probably a bit too hoppy, and this combines with the grainy bitterness to create a somewhat unpleasant astringency. Very creamy, almost fatty finish--kind of like a pudding of sorts. The very bitter roasty notes hang around for a LONG time. Quite enjoyable, but not my kind of imperial.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinz (3286) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - JAN 2, 2004
Palate reset beer on return from Belgium. Black with brown around the edges. Heady aromas of spruce and chocolate, with flavors a spot on match. Full bodied and excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Enniskillen (2029) - Salinas, California, USA - JAN 2, 2004
Real black beer. Definite Dark Choclate present. I also didn't notice the alcohol content until I read it. Flavor sticks around and doesn't fade fast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
haddon90 (1466) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 1, 2004
Ahhhh rating 400. Wow that's a lot of beers that I have had. Deep black pour with a creamy tan head. Hints of chocolate. Some alcohol lingers in teh aroma, which is fine with me. Smooth and drinkable. Dark chocolate dominates the flavor, but lingering in the background is roasted malt and some hints of coffee. I can taste some of the alcohol, but that never bothered me to begin with. A really good Stout, but doesn't rank up to the Stouts I've had already. Still, very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beastiefan2k (2421) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - DEC 31, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2007 This is a great beer, looks like any stout but tastes much better. Not a hint of alcohol, I didnít even realize how strong it was until I checked the label after I drank the beer and boy was I surprised. Smoooooooth.7/4/7/5/16

Itís about time I gave this a proper rerate. An old favorite and this was definitely the first Imperial Stout I ever had. Completely black body with a medium brown head that turns into a surface covering sticky lacing. Aroma is strong with light chocolate with a good amount of bitter, leafy hops. Taste is similarly well balanced with sweetness of chocolate and bittering hops. Leaves an airy green piney leafy aftertaste. The aftertaste is light and fresh which balances the heavier flavor. Its a heavy medium body with a lightly below average carbonation. The mouthfeel comes out a bit silky. Just a bit of alcohol felt at the very back of the throat. I remember this to be a lot less hoppy and more roasty. Either I changed or the beer changed. But either way itís still obviously a well crafted beer. 8/5/8/4/16

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 31, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2004 I'm rating this one from memory as I didn't take notes at the time I enjoyed it. Don't know if I'm breaking a taboo here but I just had to rate this glorious beer. I recall loving how it poured and feeling warmed inside at the chocolate and coffee flavours. I know it's an Imperial Stout so these flavours are no surprise - still, this beer lingered in my memory for a long time so I can't help but rate it highly. ReRate: Had it again and was blown away again. This is a fantastic beer. Basically black with a rich and creamy tan head that mostly diminishes but leaves beautiful artistic lacing as you fight the urge to chug this nectar. Full of roated malt and bittersweet chocolate aromas before hitting you with a beautiful balance of bitter and slightly sweet - there's coffee and chocolate again and then some more chocolate in the dry finish. I had to fight to keep from downing it, but I'm glad I did because as it warmed a bit it got even better! Superb.