overall

RATINGS: 3779   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russiaís Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. Itís a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling itóA sincere friend is not born instantly.

jswatson (2) - Antioch, California, USA - AUG 23, 2001 does not count
One of my all time favorite beers. At times it is so good, it brings tears to my eyes.

ElGaucho (2240) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JUL 6, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 18, 2006 9-18-06 re-rate: Iím not going to change my rating, but the bottle Iím having right now doesnít seem deserving of a perfect score. It is more one-dimensionally dark chocolate without the flowery hop bouquet and finish. Could be the age of the bottle, which of which I canít comment because North Coast doesnít do any freshness dating. Iíve probably had it in my fridge for 4 months or so. Ar 8, Ap 4, Fl 8, Pal 5, Ov 17 (4.2). 7-6-05: Before I even looked at the description, I was thinking "fruity nose". Truly a wonderful bouquet, complete with hops and super ropes. Fully opaque body. Large brown head, which was especially pronounced after I transfered the beer from a shaker glass to a tulip in keeping with the appropriate glassware for the style. Lasting head; very impressive. Excellent, tree ring lace. The first time I had this was when I offered it at one of my early beer tastings. I thought it was overrated at the time, but I know now that I simply didnít understand it. 9% ABV is hidden well. It really is the perfect ABV. Interestingly, when I was in Beverages and More in Redwood City, I saw a scruffy, vagrant looking guy scuffle in and walk out with a 4-pack of Old Rasputin. That blew me away. All I ever see in Minnesota is those guys picking up Bud, Mich Golden Draft or MGD. Flavor is near to actual perfection; some alcohol burn, some hop, some chocolate and even a touch of those super ropes I like so much! This stuff is really awesome! I really canít imagine a better imperial stout. It is clearly deserving of only my 4th ever perfect score. A little suprising it took me so long to procure the 2nd most accesible beer in the Ratebeer Top 50.

ridgeman (37) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 6, 2007
Very Big!! Lovely Black Color and full of flavor aroma etc. A must try... 9% ABV

lmahony199 (52) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - JUN 10, 2001
like a six course meal

morebier4me (140) - New York, USA - SEP 15, 2002

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - AUG 29, 2004
An old, old favorite that Iíve been loyal to since my very first sip. Huge, cocoa-colored head, properly boisterous and fizzy. Phenomenally aromatic: all the regulars for this style and more are here in attendance--cocoa, coffee, toffee, nuts. Very mellow, despite the flavor and strength. Perfectly black in color, fantastic texture: thick and chewy, but not overly so. This is a great accompaniament for any meal, particularly rich and spicy food. Iíd compliment the finish, but it never stops! The flavor sticks in your mouth forever, it seems. One of the finest stouts in all the universe.

moody (12) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - SEP 28, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2005 Great balance of malt, coffee, and chocolate flavors. Not as "Heavy," as some stouts. I donít know how beer could be any better than this! WOW!!!

rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - APR 11, 2001
Iíve had several Imperial Stouts, this has got to be by far the best Iíve ever had. Smooth and flavorful on the palate with just the right amount of bitterness and hopiness, I can see why it was on the top 10 for so long.

baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 24, 2001
This is one incredible stout. Intense flavor, luscious mouthfeel. I was seriously knocked out. (The high alcohol level doesnít hurt. Wow!) Now, a funny story: I had the heavenly draft version of this beer at the J.T. Collins Pub at Lincoln and Roscoe in Chicago, which has an excellent íMicrobrew Tuesdayí -- 20 varieties on tap at $2.50 a pint. (Worth checking out if youíre in town!) And there were 25-something ex-frat boys drinking *bottles of Bud*. I kid you not. Some folks are just beyond redemption.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - FEB 8, 2006
UPDATED: APR 22, 2008 Pours a rich black/brown super fullbodied nectar. An extremely rich and complex specimen of itís genre. The best in itís class. This brew has so much going on but without any focus on any one element. Itís a tasty stout with huge bright/fresh flavors from the dark spectrum (coffee, cocoa, tar, and the like) which is quite rare. These flavors are usually so dense and rich that they overshadow the other elements. Not here. Itís sweet yet ballanced by the hopy character. Well ballanced with a long finish. Stays flavorful to the last sip.The alcohol is well hidden and keeps you warm. The next best thing to have during a Detroit whiteout on 75 Northbound to Clarkston, the first being your girl of course. I highly recommend trying it.