overall

RATINGS: 1908   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.’s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It’s brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so it’s a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coast’s Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DYCSoccer17 (3300) - Woodland, California, USA - OCT 19, 2004
2002 Bottle. Aroma is very fruity, vinous, berries, nutty woodsiness. Chocolate maltiness in the nose as well. Nice aroma. Pours a hazy muddly amber/mahognay color with a yellowish head which disappears rather quickly. Start is a little thin and slightly bland turning to huge amounts of vinousness along with a very noticeable alochol burn. Roasted malts in the very finish with some slight chocolate hints. A decent barleywine, but not what I think of when I think of a barleywine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4831) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 19, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2007 I have become quite fond of this one. Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle this beer pours a cloudy red-brown color with a very small tan head. The aroma is malty and has elements of molasses and ripened fruit. The flavor is malty and dominated by molasses and caramel notes. There is some ripened fruit in the undertones. There is some alcohol burn, but not nearly as much as you would expect given the alcohol content. A subtle note of bakers chocolate comes in as it warms. Lovely

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Loddeer (171) - USA - OCT 16, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2004 Damn! Now we’re talking. First off I did not check the alcohol content until after I drank this. I was stunned when I saw this was 11.4%. I never even noticed since I was really blown away by how smooth, gentle, and warming this ale was. It has incredible depth and really has one of the best sweet malt tastes I have had. I feel this blows away Old Rasputin. Also, it has great smell and apperance. An excellent choice, I am extremely pleased, this was an awesome ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerandBlues2 (9431) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - OCT 16, 2004
2003 Bottle...Hazy copper with a thin tan head, some fair lacing at the brew line. Sweet roasted malt aroma with a creamy caramel nose. Sweet malt flavor with a dry alcohol finish. Warm and medium to full-bodied creamy palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Odeed (1775) - Bakersfield, California, USA - OCT 15, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2004 2003 bottle pours with a small head,and has a nice bourgandy color with a very sweet smell.the taste is very sweet,and hides the alcohol EXTREMELY WELL.good thing it comes in 4 packs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jine (896) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - OCT 6, 2004
2003 Vintage: Is it just me, or does every barleywine really smell of apples? Do I just really love barleywines now or am I just a drunk? These questions aside, I was very impressed with this, and will probably go back for a couple bottles to cellar for a bit

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 5, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 23, 2005 Two vintages to rate, however the scores are for the 2001.

2003 Vintage: - Orangey-brown headless horseman with all the smooth sweet barleywine characteristics I was looking for. Aromas of caramel and some fruit but also alcohol. Sadly the fear that arose when alcohol was so evident in the aroma came true - an alcohol burn emerged quickly in the initial taste and stayed through thte finish. Very tasty but too young.

2001 Vintage - same initial impression visually but less alcohol on the nose. Maltier but not to the point the hoppiness disappeared. Much smoother than the 2003 and the alcohol takes much longer to make itself known. Could age more but was delicious now. Cheers to radiomgb for bringing this to one of our barleywine nights.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - OCT 5, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 7, 2004 There is a thin quickly dissipating head with strong initial aromas of plum, brown sugar, and a hint of alcohol. It has a beautiful deep amber colour, and is quite cloudy. The first sip is immense, powerful flavour overtakes the senses. It feels very sticky, and stays on my tongue and lips. There are many different flavours, making it hard for me to pin-point them. It finishes with a nice little bite of alcohol. Truly an excellent beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jzzbassman (1507) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - OCT 5, 2004
I wish I would have read this description before drinking, because I would have aged this one a bit. Mine was a mahogany color, with a tiny head and good lacing. Big malty aroma. The flavor was young and sweet. I had no idea this was 11.4%, as the alcohol was not evident in the flavor profile. A little to sticky and harsh, I can imagine it being really nice in a year or two.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - OCT 3, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 21, 2005 Pours a beautiful deep burgundy with a modest white head that self terminated rather quickly and left very little lace. Usually this prevents the appearence score from being high but the color on this beer was so damn pretty. When held up to the light the beer casts red lazers throughout the room. Dried Plums, trampled cherries, sweet raisins, malts, brown sugar and alcohol present in the aroma. Smells hefty and complex! Starts out with plums and caramel then faids into a harsh alcohol bite but since it is woven with so many other flavors it is extreamly pleasant and warming. Sweet malts, brown sugar, dark fruits, molasses, and dried apples are intertwined with the alcohol bite to produce something that just simply tastes exquisite.