overall

RATINGS: 1981   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Mads Langtved (2244) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - MAR 30, 2005
Red. No head. Slightly roasted. Loads of warming alcohol in the finish. Spicey flavour. A bit to earthy and dirty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
AlabastorJones (810) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 30, 2005
300! ! ! ! ~* 2004*~ thinly laced pink/tan head on a clear ruby body, tart cherry aroma, very sweet flavor, slightly limey, syrupy mouthfeel, dull hop burn on top of a strong alcohol finish, warming medicinal feeling in throat, tastey

ChrisPants (317) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 26, 2005
2004. "intended to be laid down:" whatever. Goldbeige head, dissipating in a minute. Body is rich ruby red--I want to mount it in a white-gold settingand wear this 12-oz gem on my thumb. Aroma is cherry, sweet rhubarb pie, and caramel malt. WOW! Alcohol cherry NyQuil flavor. This is peeling the fuzz off my tongue. Sweet, astringent. Does Listerine make a beer? Actually, the alcohol can be felt, but not tasted until the after-swallow nose-exhalation. Spicy and bold. Iím impressed that this hits over 11% abv, but I am definitely going to cellar the remaining three bottles for at least a year. Iíll update then.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
swirl (267) - collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 26, 2005
2003: This beer was given to me by a friend to try which I did after a year of cellaring. This was a great beer, it poured a beautful caramel color. There was a lot of spiciness in the aroma and the taste had a great warming effect. The only downside to this beer is that I donít have anymore.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jtxx (148) - san antonio, Texas, USA - MAR 23, 2005
2004. Still young, but so what. You could probably serve this on the rocks and get away with it. Red/amber color and the last sip tasted better than the first.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 21, 2005
mahogany in appearance with virtually no head...aroma is full of spices, fruits, caramels and sugars; flavor is pretty similar with a strong taste of caramels as well...a nice alcohol finish

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
nicplemel (19) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 15, 2005
2004 run. Poured nicely but with very little head. Great smells from this one, it warmed me up prior to even tasting it, when I did I was impressed with itís complexities. Flavors of dark fruits for sure and of course a standard sweetness associated with the style. As my glass emptied though, I found there to be an almost brandy like flavor to it (this isnít a abd thing in my opinion) the alcohol became more and more noticable as I sipped. Even the wife dug this one. I was quite pleased when I didnít expect to be.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - MAR 15, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2007 Comb. í03-í04 bottles. Dark mahogany with film for head. Sweet caramel/toffee up front, big dark fruit background, mostly prune/raisin. Flavor on par with aroma. Huge sweet malt up front, raisin and fig/prune through the middle and finish. Slight oxidation setting in. Very vinous note in aftertaste. Mouthfeel/palate is thick and luscious. So far I prefer 2 years old.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - MAR 13, 2005
2002: Pours heavy, effervescent and cool into the glass where it sits smuggly and says with a hint of piety " I, good sir, have aged to perfection". Its white stubble of head gives proof to the potion as does the candy caramel vapor of its breath, so heavily ladden with meadow hay, wildflowers and time. Now as this ruby-auburn and polished walnut pool is hoisted to my anticipating lips, I taste. All acridity, hops and alcohol lie as a hound upon the hearth of aged and masterful malts: present and appreciated but not alerted. The flavor oozes earthy tones and nutty notes as the complexity of apple rind and raisins blend, dance and twirl upon the tongue like jazz; class and rhythm.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAR 12, 2005
2003 vintage: Mahogney color with a thin off-white head. Aroma is of brown sugar and plums with a big alcohol presence. Malty, almost chewy, with some toasty notes, a hint of dark fruits, some brown sugar, a light nutty notes as well. Very drinkable barley wine.