overall

RATINGS: 1903   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - MAY 31, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2006 a reddish ale with a medium to thick head. a rich malty flavor with a bit of choclate in the aroma.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jeppe (2631) - ōlbutikken, DENMARK - MAY 31, 2004
Vintage 2002.
Amber reddish beer with a medium disappearing head. Chocolate, toffee, nut and hops in the aroma. Quite heavy with obvious alcohol tones. Flavor is sweet and full, fruity with a bitter dry finish. Quite alcoholic. A nice and warming beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
YogiBeera (2435) - Hamburg, GERMANY - MAY 24, 2004
uuuh - it was a pleasure to open that bottle. Nice red color, spare head, roasted malt nose. Light alcohol in nose too and plums. Soy sauce taste, thick but smooth, lingers down. Medium date taste. Great

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - MAY 22, 2004
2003 vintage, 12 oz bottle, wine glass. Caramel, nutty, cocoa malt (M); earthy hops (L); brown sugar, toffee, woody aromas. Medium brown red body with a tall, creamy, off-white head. Heavily sweet, lightly acidic flavor becomes a moderately bitter, moderately sweet finish. Very smooth, like a fine scotch. Heavy body, creamy texture, soft carbonation. The bottom line is: a tasty barleywine through and through; canít wait to see what itís like after a few years...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JMerritt (1767) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - MAY 20, 2004
2003 vintage. Dark garnet in color, slightly hazy, with a massive light-brown head. Head fell to an uneven, sharply sloping peak formed of small, tightly packed bubbles. Sweet fruits, raisins, and caramel malt aroma with a touch of alcohol and oak. Rich malty flavor, mildly roasty, with additional flavors of green grapes, raisins, over-ripe plums, and alcohol. Very hearty. A little overly carbonated for my taste, but very, very good nonetheless.

Steib (613) - Queen Creek, Arizona, USA - MAY 16, 2004
2003. Nice dark red color. Fruity, date aroma, very inticing. Warming flavor of spices and hops. Some bitterness but very full bodied. A very nice beer mellowed like a good bourbon.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - MAY 12, 2004
Vinuous, bloody red, alcohol is apparent, a little burn, flavor is not too cloying for a beer of this size. Lots of character in here, and they avoided excessive sweetness so I say itís good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cherr (162) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 12, 2004
This beer has a nice hoppy aroma. The taste is initially of very strong sweet malt with hints of spice then followed by a nice hoppy bitterness. Finishing hops leave a nice taste in your mouth. Best Barley Wine I have tried to date. I had this on tap at MacGregors in Rochester, NY

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BrockLanders (771) - Panama City, Florida, USA - MAY 11, 2004
Wow...now this is what I’ve been waiting for. I bought six of these from our base liquor store. I’d never heard of North Coast before so initially it didn’t get my attention. I was curious, picked up a bottle and noticed the 11% ABV rating. That tweaked my interest a bit. Being a huge Rochefort (8 and 10) fan, I figured I’d give this a try. Got home, did some research and thought this looks pretty good. I was right. This is a damn fine beer. I don’t detect much hops in the aroma, but I do get a strong sweetness offset by a wonderful malt smell. The taste yields a nice, dominant sweet vanilla caramel feel....I like it..a whole bunch. What a contrast to Sierra's Bigfoot BW. I guess Old Stock can mellow, but believe me....the Bigfoot can use some mellowing. Bigfoot is way short on sweet, but big on hoppiness. There’s some hoppiness trying to get through, but it’s masked. I like the color---a reddish, brown caramel hue. Try as I might, I can’t induce any real head on the pour. The alcohol is evident in the taste, and aftertaste---a nice little burn. Hmm...any hops here? Yep, at the end....a nice hop bitterness---not slam in your face, but very appropriate. I have to note that this bottle was a bit too chilled. As it has warmed in my glass I’ve noticed an increased volume in all aspects. The hops are coming on more. The NC folks say age will do this ale good. Sounds great by me, but I doubt I can wait very long. A very, very, nice ale. I just ordered some NC Rasputin. I’m thinking I should get on it and order me some Old Stock ASAP. I’m sure there’s better ales in the Barley Wine category, but there ain’t a darn thing wrong with this one. Cheers!

Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 11, 2004
Poured deep bronze with no head. Mild hoppy aroma and sweet. Woody notes on the tongue, along with caramel. spice, hops, and malt. Nice dry bitter finish, with a lingering aftertaste. More like an English version of a barley wine compared to some heavily hopped American ones.