RATINGS: 2120   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2014 vintage: 11.8%
2015 vintage: 11.9%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jonathan3584 (323) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAY 4, 2005
Very enjoyable barleywine. I had it on a trip back in March, however, so the details escape me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - MAY 1, 2005
deep garnet in color with a nice medium sized tan head. Wonderful sweet malt aroma. medium to full bodied with a very pleasing taste of sweet malts, raisins, plums, with a slight bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is pleasantly warming, but not overly so. A very nice barleywine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kinnaj15 (275) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 1, 2005
Tawney with small ligth brown head. Sweet aroma with hints of alcohol. Malty taste with notes of wood and hints of alcohol and spices.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
FrkAabenhuus (147) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 1, 2005
Nutbrown colour with small off white head. Taste is very fruity, complex with some oak and plum. With a nice taste of alcohol. very smooth

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MayorQuimby (100) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - APR 30, 2005
2004 Bottle. Pours a mahogony color, tiny white head, a bit hazy, and no lacing on my glass. Aroma is sweet, consisting of honey, caramel, maltiness, some fruitiness like plums, complex though a bit tame. Flavor has a typical one of a barley wine, sweet and malty, a clean ethanol taste, and a hint of hop bitterness in the end. Mouthfeel is a bit weak, though the alcohol taste coats my mouth and leaves a pleasant sensation. Not nearly as impressive as the Old Rasputin. This disappointed me a bit for a barley wine, I was hoping for more given the other North Coast beers that Iíve had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
atpayne (615) - Zionsville, Indiana, USA - APR 30, 2005
2003 bottle. This beer is redisb brown with a small tan head. Slow risig carbonation is visable on a closer look. The aroma is forst of alcohol and then earthy with a malt aroma and a definate barley wine character. The sip is a chalky feeling malt with some hints of chocolate and brown sugar along with some considerable hop presence. Alcohol is present, which seems to be playing tag with a malt sweetness, with the alcohol winning the game right before the end of the sip.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 28, 2005
My buddy Scott served this to me as a thank you for fixing his screwed-up woodwork. I made out like a bandit...The first thing I told him was, "This tastes like a floor-malted Maris-Otter Malt." He said, "You are an idiot!" I think itís safe to say that we did not have a meeting of the minds.....

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
BeerTurd (1) - USA - APR 28, 2005 does not count
This is one kick a@# beer Wee Wee Woop! Hells yeah, this is full of rum and friuty flavors. My new session beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Bumhoolery (1) - USA - APR 27, 2005 does not count
2003 ed. Very pleasant aroma, deep reddish tint, but I just didnít dig this. Not very hoppy, sweet and nutty, but the flavor doesnít come through too strongly through all the alcohol. Not bad, but not worth the price.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
JensenTaster (1719) - DENMARK - APR 25, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 24, 2005 (on bottle 2004 edit.) On the good side, this beer proves that I still have ground to cover in turms of tastes. This one was too hefty for me, way overmuch. Mahogony color and a small, lasting beige head. Hoppy , very; nose, with notes of wallnuts, earth, chocolate and alcohol- A very powerfull, allmost cognac-ish alcoholic a bit too high carbonation. Finish is lightly burning and with impressions of calvados(me donīt like calvados), wood and chocolates. Way to big and alcohol-flavoured -filled beer for me.