overall

RATINGS: 1950   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.’s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It’s brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so it’s a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coast’s Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Wolfenkopf (172) - Villa Park, Illinois, USA - FEB 1, 2011
This review is for the 2010 run. The aroma is chalky and malty, medium in body, but not overly enticing. The head is off-white and disappears as if afraid of its own shadow. The brew itself is a gorgeously deep brown. The taste malty and pleasant, but like a bomb going off, I received the most harsh sourness just after the first swig. I was certain that I had happened upon a bad bottle, but taking another, the sourness was not there. It did not appear again until much further into the bottle, and then much less severe. At the bottom of the bottle, the sourness was not to be found. I am certain that the sourness was an anomaly. Silky smooth on the palate, the carbonization is not strong. Overall, an enjoyable ale save for the random attack of sourness that I hope will not be in the next bottle I am sure to have.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
elosop (172) - SWEDEN - SEP 26, 2014
Mahoganyfärgad med snabbt försvinnande krona. Doftar bränd karamell. Smaken spritig och eftersmaken än mer alkoholanstruken. Eftersmaken lång, bränd kola. Nä, barley wine inget för mig.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Keil (171) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 10, 2011
2010: Aroma is fruity, boozy, some notes of leather. Pours a dark brown. Taste is malty and sweet with a strong alcohol finish. Not too bitter. Fruity yeast notes and malty sweetness dominate this one. Taste that leathery-tobacco leaf. 2011: Barely no nose. Faint fruit notes. Pours a transparent dark brown. Taste is much sweeter, much more intense. Lots of booze and heat. Notes of leather again. Much more bitter this time around. Really strong alcohol finish. Not the same roundness as the 2010, malt backbone isn’t as strongly supported.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Loddeer (171) - USA - OCT 16, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2004 Damn! Now we’re talking. First off I did not check the alcohol content until after I drank this. I was stunned when I saw this was 11.4%. I never even noticed since I was really blown away by how smooth, gentle, and warming this ale was. It has incredible depth and really has one of the best sweet malt tastes I have had. I feel this blows away Old Rasputin. Also, it has great smell and apperance. An excellent choice, I am extremely pleased, this was an awesome ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
porterdude (170) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - AUG 2, 2005
2004 bottle. Pours a deep auburn color. Smells of fermented fruit, figs, alcohol, some hops. Tastes rather sweet and fruity for such a high alcohol beer. Rather enjoyable and warming. A cloying mouthfeel that left a little burn on the tounge.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
KDorgan12 (169) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - MAR 3, 2008
Bottle-Memphis. COMPLEX!!! The malt flavor/nose is almost overwhelming but the hops take over once it reaches the palate. This one should be aged. Unfortunately I have not learned the pasiance...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bonvivant (168) - Smithfield, Virginia, USA - AUG 21, 2001
This beer is supposed to get better with age. I may never know-it’s just too good!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - AUG 8, 2002
Thirst and desire to rule the light. For crossing heavens a futile fight, Bound to storm our minds wave, Fervent to sail in deserts of mist

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
redave (165) - squaw valley, California, USA - APR 29, 2006
Bottle labeled 2005. Very dark [pretty much brown] Very little tanish head that soon vanishes to a thin wisp around the edge of the glass, no lace. Served at a slightly cooler temp than the recomended room temperature. Very complex flavors that do rather well at this young age. Malty with a nice hop edge. There is a slight alcohol burn at the end. Surprisingly drinkable and i think it will just get better. I wonder when this finished fermenting, and then was bottled?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Croff (164) - Ostra Sonnarslov, SWEDEN - AUG 23, 2010
2010 edition. Pours a cloudy dark amber. Small head that fades to nothing quickly. Heavy malt, caramel, dark bread aroma. Flavor has notes of fruit, caramel, roast, and very noticable alcohol. It is a bit rough around the edges. If it mellows with age as the brewer claims, it will be much better in the future. Right now it is just okay.