overall

RATINGS: 1964   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
FLnative80 (174) - Orlando, Florida, USA - MAR 21, 2007
Bottle. 2006. 12 FL. OZ. Pours very brown with a hint of red and very little head that eventually disappears. No lacing either. Aromas of raisin and butterscotch. Fairly full-bodied with very little carbonation. Flavor is smooth and sweet with a long finish. Although you can tell its in there, this beer hides its 13.25% well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
theviolet (173) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 4, 2007
2006 bottle. Aroma of alcohol, oranges, and malt. Not overwhelming at all. Dark reddish brown that is translucent. Poured with a decent sized light tan foamy head that quickly dissipated to leave only a slight ring. Tastes of sweet alcohol with lots of warming. Also I can taste otanges and hops in the finish. Very sweet. Almost too much malt and stickiness, I donít like the taste that much, but can appreciate some of itís qualities. Very sticky and sweet on the palate. Not bad, not a style I love, but decent beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - JAN 27, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2003 Strong alcohol presence, nice balance between the malt and bitterness. Worth trying again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Wolfenkopf (172) - Villa Park, Illinois, USA - FEB 1, 2011
This review is for the 2010 run. The aroma is chalky and malty, medium in body, but not overly enticing. The head is off-white and disappears as if afraid of its own shadow. The brew itself is a gorgeously deep brown. The taste malty and pleasant, but like a bomb going off, I received the most harsh sourness just after the first swig. I was certain that I had happened upon a bad bottle, but taking another, the sourness was not there. It did not appear again until much further into the bottle, and then much less severe. At the bottom of the bottle, the sourness was not to be found. I am certain that the sourness was an anomaly. Silky smooth on the palate, the carbonization is not strong. Overall, an enjoyable ale save for the random attack of sourness that I hope will not be in the next bottle I am sure to have.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Keil (171) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 10, 2011
2010: Aroma is fruity, boozy, some notes of leather. Pours a dark brown. Taste is malty and sweet with a strong alcohol finish. Not too bitter. Fruity yeast notes and malty sweetness dominate this one. Taste that leathery-tobacco leaf. 2011: Barely no nose. Faint fruit notes. Pours a transparent dark brown. Taste is much sweeter, much more intense. Lots of booze and heat. Notes of leather again. Much more bitter this time around. Really strong alcohol finish. Not the same roundness as the 2010, malt backbone isnít as strongly supported.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Loddeer (171) - USA - OCT 16, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2004 Damn! Now weíre talking. First off I did not check the alcohol content until after I drank this. I was stunned when I saw this was 11.4%. I never even noticed since I was really blown away by how smooth, gentle, and warming this ale was. It has incredible depth and really has one of the best sweet malt tastes I have had. I feel this blows away Old Rasputin. Also, it has great smell and apperance. An excellent choice, I am extremely pleased, this was an awesome ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
porterdude (170) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - AUG 2, 2005
2004 bottle. Pours a deep auburn color. Smells of fermented fruit, figs, alcohol, some hops. Tastes rather sweet and fruity for such a high alcohol beer. Rather enjoyable and warming. A cloying mouthfeel that left a little burn on the tounge.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
KDorgan12 (169) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - MAR 3, 2008
Bottle-Memphis. COMPLEX!!! The malt flavor/nose is almost overwhelming but the hops take over once it reaches the palate. This one should be aged. Unfortunately I have not learned the pasiance...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - AUG 8, 2002
Thirst and desire to rule the light. For crossing heavens a futile fight, Bound to storm our minds wave, Fervent to sail in deserts of mist

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bonvivant (168) - Smithfield, Virginia, USA - AUG 21, 2001
This beer is supposed to get better with age. I may never know-itís just too good!