overall

RATINGS: 2006   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.’s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It’s brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so it’s a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coast’s Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
elosop (203) - SWEDEN - SEP 26, 2014
Mahoganyfärgad med snabbt försvinnande krona. Doftar bränd karamell. Smaken spritig och eftersmaken än mer alkoholanstruken. Eftersmaken lång, bränd kola. Nä, barley wine inget för mig.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
brstp (201) - Washington DC, USA - JAN 24, 2007
2006 bottle. Dark brown/red color, didn’t pour much head and it dissipated quickly. No lacing. Aroma is of roasted malt, caramel, alcohol. Taste is of roasted heavy malt, plums, tangy sweet alcohol finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DavefromChicago (201) - Illinois, USA - JAN 6, 2003
2001 edition. Pours a sloppy pondwater brown...OK, wait a minute, lets call it cloudy reddish-brown, with no real head formation. Immediate fragrance is of chocolate cookies, wet concrete, yeast and molasses. Very malty, sweet and chocolatey. Smooth and mildly carbonated. Finish is good - hops noticeable but not overbearing. Big, nice brew - I can go either way with these English-style barley wines and strong ales but this one is real nice, I’ll try laying some down for another year, but I have a hunch it’s at its peak.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
aaronh (201) - McMurray, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 30, 2003
2001 bottling. Chestnut red with a slight haze. It pours with a minimal tan head that remains as a thin ring of foam around the sides of the glass. No lacing to speak of. A somewhat nutty, plum scent dominates the aroma. Just a wonderful toasted malt smell. The taste is sweet as expected, but again the nutty component is very prevalent. Nice plum and cherry fruits appear, along with a biscuit malt flavor. Some hops clean up the finsh, and present a lingering bitterness. The minimal carbonation contributes to the velvety smooth mouthfeel.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
opiate (199) - Sandy, Utah, USA - OCT 1, 2001
One of the best beers I’ve had the pleasure of drinking in my life! This stuff is BIG! Big alcohol. Big flavor. Big nose. Big mouthfeel. Yet smooth and easy to drink in my opinion. I didn’t find the alcohol to be overwhelming at all. Noticable for sure...but not overkill. A great beer for a cold winter night. I’m gonna get my hands on some so I can see how it ages. I tried it (about 6 times) at the GABF last weekend. :-)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Andresvendsen (199) - - AUG 5, 2014
Den var väl sådär. Funkar i brist på annat. Snygg flaska och hyfsat bra pris. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
rmalloy (199) - los angeles, California, USA - JUL 9, 2007
Very strong barley wine. Lots and lots of candied fruit. One-dimensional (in this candied fruit kind of way). The syrupy fruit gets boring after a while.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rateyourpoison (198) - chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 15, 2011
2010 12oz btl. Pours a deep mahogany with a decent white head. A sweet aroma of candied dark fruit, caramel, and alcohol. Slightly hot but palate overall is tasty. Lots of candied fruit, sweet caramel, and a hint of nuttiness. Spice of the alcohol is pleasant and warming. Pretty delicious overall.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
POD (198) - USA - JUN 14, 2006
2005 12 oz bottle poured into glass dark amber with quickly dispersing head. Heavy raiseny aftertaste and noticiable high alcohol content. This one made my liver quiver. I can only recommnend this ale for real men.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 3/20
Cajun (197) - Lafayette, Louisiana, USA - DEC 1, 2011
Bottle (2011) - Where do I start? While I loved the smell, appearance, and mouthfeel of this beer, the powerful taste of sweet syrup just couldn’t be ignored. It is possible that I got a batch that hadn’t been handled properly. Oh, certainly I know that I’m in the minority here, but I know barley wine. I absolutely love Old Foghorn and Bigfoot, but this was freakin’ ridiculously sweet....at the moment of tasting it. Maybe similiar to someone on a salad diet drinking a coke for the first time in months, .... and it tastes so SWEET. I may store this and re-rate after some time. Merci beaucoup.