overall

RATINGS: 1904   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mardermax (71) - santa cruz, California, USA - MAY 8, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 18, 2004 12 oz bottle from berkeley calif: Pours with virtualy no head at all. Aroma of berries and vanilla. no distinct characteristics except for the fruity smell. The alcohol is masked so well in the taste. Tastes like it smells, very vanilla laced. Macharoons. as well as coconut lacing. Goes down smooth, heavy on the aftertaste, but laced with good malt. overall, much different than a lot of other barley wines, not very hoppy, but the taste is magnifient...

mrchug645 (71) - alb, New Mexico, USA - DEC 23, 2005
all i can say is very very tasty yet powerful >>>>>>>>>>>>&g

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dsnutz (71) - dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 25, 2007
12 oz. 2007 pours a dark cloudy red with almost no head. This has become one of my favorite weekly purchases. even stored one away til 2008.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DScanlon (70) - Florida, USA - JAN 24, 2010
Tap at Redlight. Ahhhhh, Old Stock! I love it! Pours a rich red/brown with a little head that stays around shortly. Rich aroma, caramel and roast malts, dry fruit, some piney hops. Complex taste, dark sweetness, something to the effect of brown sugar or molasses. Nice and hoppy, dry finish. Iíve never had a vintage one, but in a year or so, Iíll be able to pull one out of the cellar and probably re-rate it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
timbeer (69) - Rosemount, Minnesota, USA - NOV 17, 2009
[bottle - 2008] Reddish brown and clear, thin head that disapates quickly. Fruity, sweet alcohol notes. Caramel and some dark fruit flavor. Medium bodied and warm on my tongue. It could use some aging but overall itís a good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
alabamajohn (67) - Alabama, USA - DEC 18, 2005
This is more than I hoped for. Dreamy. Drink it if you have it. Or age it if you can wait that long.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerCommonSewr (67) - North Carolina, USA - SEP 18, 2006
12 oz. bottle 2006 version Aroma: Very malty nose with sugars and alcohol beneath Appearance: Muddy red brown with a nice head of medium sized tan bubbles and minor lacing Flavor: Caramel and chocolate malts are pronounced with an alcohol bite Palate: Malty and dry. The best thing about this beer though is it is not as dry as you would expect with a 13.25% content. I did a double take when I read it on the label as I expected an elevated number but not that high! Overall: Well done on a finely crafted brew. I enjoyed it much and would like to try it again. I find it very interesting that some people are saying it was clear red when the one I had was very murky which others have stated too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
troupos40 (67) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 30, 2013
2013 vintage pours copper, aromas of cherries and vanilla. Full mouth feel, sweet in the tongue, alcohol is makes nicely for almost 12%, pretty good beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
natrat (66) - Ucluelet, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 6, 2005
2004 reserve. Poured beautifully, rich woody amber colour with a thin, but tight head. Extreme lacing, probably from the high alcohol. Fantastic aroma, like good scotch and molasses. The mouthfeel of this beer is incredible, smooth and full...creamy, too, like drinking....well, cream. Full flavour, tasting a bit like those rumball pastries at the bakery. A truly phenomenal beer. On a side note, we threw it onto the alcohol analyzer, and it came out at 11.877 %. Mmmmm, belly warmer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Sephiroth (66) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 22, 2008
2002 Edition: One of my longtime favorites, this beer will go into a tulip. The head is much more subdued than my previous bottles from this year. The half inch head quickly fades to nothing. The body is transparent only when held to a light source, and even then one must be quite close to the glass. The nose is malty and vinous. Slight vanilla and raisins are detected. This baby is in its prime. The malts are complex. I really cannot pick any individual flavor out of this. The malt is somewhat roasty, with dark fruits as well. The finish is dry, almost like I am drinking Cabernet. Must be the remnants of the hops. The mouthfeel is thick, but not coating as I imagine it once was. Even if there was a hint of the 11.4% ABV, this would be extremely drinkable. Time has been good to this, as the alcohol is buried deeply within this one. I cannot find any more recent vintages of this one in Indy. There seems to be plenty of this one, though. I give a three for appearance because of the enormous head on every other occassion that I drank this one. I will edit this the next time I pop one. Edit: My glass might have been slightly dirty the last time. This time, I get the nice head I am accustomed to from this one. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 07-21-2005 06:33:38