overall

RATINGS: 1908   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.’s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It’s brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so it’s a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coast’s Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
alabamajohn (67) - Alabama, USA - DEC 18, 2005
This is more than I hoped for. Dreamy. Drink it if you have it. Or age it if you can wait that long.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerCommonSewr (67) - North Carolina, USA - SEP 18, 2006
12 oz. bottle 2006 version Aroma: Very malty nose with sugars and alcohol beneath Appearance: Muddy red brown with a nice head of medium sized tan bubbles and minor lacing Flavor: Caramel and chocolate malts are pronounced with an alcohol bite Palate: Malty and dry. The best thing about this beer though is it is not as dry as you would expect with a 13.25% content. I did a double take when I read it on the label as I expected an elevated number but not that high! Overall: Well done on a finely crafted brew. I enjoyed it much and would like to try it again. I find it very interesting that some people are saying it was clear red when the one I had was very murky which others have stated too.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Sephiroth (66) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 22, 2008
2002 Edition: One of my longtime favorites, this beer will go into a tulip. The head is much more subdued than my previous bottles from this year. The half inch head quickly fades to nothing. The body is transparent only when held to a light source, and even then one must be quite close to the glass. The nose is malty and vinous. Slight vanilla and raisins are detected. This baby is in its prime. The malts are complex. I really cannot pick any individual flavor out of this. The malt is somewhat roasty, with dark fruits as well. The finish is dry, almost like I am drinking Cabernet. Must be the remnants of the hops. The mouthfeel is thick, but not coating as I imagine it once was. Even if there was a hint of the 11.4% ABV, this would be extremely drinkable. Time has been good to this, as the alcohol is buried deeply within this one. I cannot find any more recent vintages of this one in Indy. There seems to be plenty of this one, though. I give a three for appearance because of the enormous head on every other occassion that I drank this one. I will edit this the next time I pop one. Edit: My glass might have been slightly dirty the last time. This time, I get the nice head I am accustomed to from this one. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 07-21-2005 06:33:38

MakeItDrinkIt (66) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 11, 2008
Nice amber, slighty ruby color with a medium tan head. Aroma is of rich caramel, some raisins, a slight alcohol bite. Flavor is rich with pears, caramel, raisins, but with a generous dose of hops that kick the bit of sugars off your tongue in a hurry, leaving a slightly nutty lingering finish. This one is sure to age well - I hope I fare so well!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
natrat (66) - Ucluelet, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 6, 2005
2004 reserve. Poured beautifully, rich woody amber colour with a thin, but tight head. Extreme lacing, probably from the high alcohol. Fantastic aroma, like good scotch and molasses. The mouthfeel of this beer is incredible, smooth and full...creamy, too, like drinking....well, cream. Full flavour, tasting a bit like those rumball pastries at the bakery. A truly phenomenal beer. On a side note, we threw it onto the alcohol analyzer, and it came out at 11.877 %. Mmmmm, belly warmer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
sudsmeister (64) - Colorado, USA - FEB 11, 2006
This brew is a malt lovers dream. Dark, rich, thick and tasty. Expensive too. It doesn’t take too many of these puppies to warm you up on a cold winters night. Congrats to North Coast!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TexasAggie12 (64) - Burnet, Texas, USA - OCT 20, 2006
Very dark pour with little head. Smell of toasted malt and hops. Nice flavor of malt,coffee,hops and bitter sweet choclate. Very thick beer on the mouth. Nice drinker when cold outside.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sneakychi (64) - - NOV 22, 2013
2013 bottle. Aroma: Dried fruits, apple, freshly crushed malt, bread. Taste: A hint of hop bitterness, caramel, malt sweetness, dried fruit (raisins).

Strilo (63) - Oregon, USA - JAN 31, 2013
The older it gets, the better. Within reason of course. Having just had the '09 at a local beer fest, this 2012 is excellent, if young. It ages very well, mellowing and rounding out. Still, brand new, it's pretty dang tasty! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
EtownEraser (63) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 21, 2004
Bottle 2002. Wow what can I say. Great beer after a crappy day at work. Nice apple aroma flows from this hazy brown body. The taste is sweet with a stout bitterness along for the ride. My only knock is that I can actually taste the CH3OH.