overall

RATINGS: 1933   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ncyankee (22) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 21, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2006 2004 vintage. This was my fourth different Barley wine, and by far the best and most balanced. Mellow, sweet caramel taste and aroma is dominant with very low carbonation. This almost tastes like a brandy or cognac. The brewerís recommendation is to serve at room temperature and the flavor became even better as it warmed. This is a very drinkable barley wine and the alcohol taste is less dominant than in others I have tasted, at 11.4% it WILL bite you.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
papat444 (22) - Mercier, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 2, 2008
Thanks to HogTownHarry for this one! 2006 vintage. Pours a nice dark brown body with minimal head and lacing. Smell is malt & sweet. Taste is creamy, chewy and sweet but not overbearing. Caramel and malt round it off. Very drinkable for a high 13.5 ABV. I wasnít blown away but was not let down either. Would recommend.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
WayOuttaTune (22) - Pacifica, California, USA - DEC 9, 2009
This is drinkable. A little sweet for me but after a few sips the alcohol kicks in and itís all good. I like the darker belgian ales . If this is what a golden ale is all about I donít think Iíll be buying much more. This is very drinkable and provides a good buzz but my tastes go in a different direction.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ndel40 (22) - Grayslake, Illinois, USA - DEC 11, 2010
A hint of caramel with a smooth finishÖ the alcohol is masked on finish by the slightly fruity flavor. Overall, a very good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
casper78 (21) - bakersfield, California, USA - MAY 29, 2006
Bottle 12oz.(2006 release)Boy you can smell the heat in this one, a very malty aroma, and of corse the strong barley wine smell. The flavor is strong with a killer warming affewct. Canít have to many of these in one night though. Give this one a try itís definetley a big beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
stevec (21) - Galena, Illinois, USA - JAN 20, 2007
Sample from distributor, 2005 bottle. Wow, any description does it no justice. Enjoy this with a meal, alcohol will overwhelm an empty palate.

trubucho (20) - PAKISTAN - MAR 21, 2003
2002 bottle ... This is one of those that i can tell is an excellent brew but i just dont like drinking ... the website says to drink it at room temperature but the alcohol just kicks too much that warm i think ... at any rate it has great flavors well ballanced, but (i think) too present alcohol ... im cellaring the rest to see what happens

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Salsgebom (20) - North Carolina, USA - DEC 18, 2005
This will be my first rating- great site going here! I have a 2004 bottle. It pours copper with orange hues. The head is beige and diminishes quickly. I love the English flavor; when compared to American barleywines it is noticably different. Hop bitterness is low though the fuggles flavor is unmistakable. It has a very warming alcohol flavor, when combined with the non-existant head it makes for a very wine-like beer (even compared to other barleywines). Sounds negative but I love the uniqueness, one of my favorite brews!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
nicplemel (19) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 15, 2005
2004 run. Poured nicely but with very little head. Great smells from this one, it warmed me up prior to even tasting it, when I did I was impressed with itís complexities. Flavors of dark fruits for sure and of course a standard sweetness associated with the style. As my glass emptied though, I found there to be an almost brandy like flavor to it (this isnít a abd thing in my opinion) the alcohol became more and more noticable as I sipped. Even the wife dug this one. I was quite pleased when I didnít expect to be.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
SpeedwayJohnny (18) - Florida, USA - MAR 4, 2004
Possibly my favorite Barley Wine. More similar to an English beer than some of the other U.S. interpretations, IMO. Heavy, full mouthfeel, more malt sweetness than hops in the balance. Brownish hue, with an almost carmel-like flavor. A real warmer, ABV reasonably well hidden.