overall

RATINGS: 1948   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
casper78 (21) - bakersfield, California, USA - MAY 29, 2006
Bottle 12oz.(2006 release)Boy you can smell the heat in this one, a very malty aroma, and of corse the strong barley wine smell. The flavor is strong with a killer warming affewct. Canít have to many of these in one night though. Give this one a try itís definetley a big beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
dicemanstl (20) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 26, 2011
Very dark amber pour, almost no head. Fruity nose, great sweet barleywine taste. Not too boozy tasting, especially for the abv. Light mouthfeel, dark fruit on the back end.

trubucho (20) - PAKISTAN - MAR 21, 2003
2002 bottle ... This is one of those that i can tell is an excellent brew but i just dont like drinking ... the website says to drink it at room temperature but the alcohol just kicks too much that warm i think ... at any rate it has great flavors well ballanced, but (i think) too present alcohol ... im cellaring the rest to see what happens

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Salsgebom (20) - North Carolina, USA - DEC 18, 2005
This will be my first rating- great site going here! I have a 2004 bottle. It pours copper with orange hues. The head is beige and diminishes quickly. I love the English flavor; when compared to American barleywines it is noticably different. Hop bitterness is low though the fuggles flavor is unmistakable. It has a very warming alcohol flavor, when combined with the non-existant head it makes for a very wine-like beer (even compared to other barleywines). Sounds negative but I love the uniqueness, one of my favorite brews!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
nicplemel (19) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 15, 2005
2004 run. Poured nicely but with very little head. Great smells from this one, it warmed me up prior to even tasting it, when I did I was impressed with itís complexities. Flavors of dark fruits for sure and of course a standard sweetness associated with the style. As my glass emptied though, I found there to be an almost brandy like flavor to it (this isnít a abd thing in my opinion) the alcohol became more and more noticable as I sipped. Even the wife dug this one. I was quite pleased when I didnít expect to be.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
SpeedwayJohnny (18) - Florida, USA - MAR 4, 2004
Possibly my favorite Barley Wine. More similar to an English beer than some of the other U.S. interpretations, IMO. Heavy, full mouthfeel, more malt sweetness than hops in the balance. Brownish hue, with an almost carmel-like flavor. A real warmer, ABV reasonably well hidden.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Helibrewer (18) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - SEP 29, 2012
This is the commemorative release with proceeds going to tsunami relief for Ft Braggs sister city Otsuchi, Japan. Pours a rich clear red-brown in color. Thin head but persistent. Nice dark fruit flavors; raison, fig, date. Alcohol is evident on the finish. Drinks very much like a nice barleywine. This will be one of my favorite "big" beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
lspagnola (18) - - DEC 30, 2013
Bottle at Vitoís. This made me rethink my stance on barley wines. Very complex. Opened up nicely after warming in the glass. I hope the 2013 is as good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BarleyBob (18) - West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 9, 2007
I sampled the 2007 vintage. It poured a dark brown color with a thin, off-white head. The aroma was a wonderful mixture of coffee, brown sugar, chocolate, and caramel. The taste was almost all malt with the above flavors, and almost no discernable hop flavors. With the high alcohol content and the very sweet flavors, this ale was almost too intense for me right now. This is a brew that should mellow out and improve with age.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheMurphys (18) - Willowbrook, Illinois, USA - DEC 6, 2008
I bought this beer last eyar on my birthday and I have had several times since then but toady I am trying the one year aged beer. Man is it good! Smooth and soft which I thought was odd for a barley wine but it works very well with this beer. there is an alcohol bite but it works with all the flavors going on in this beer.