overall

RATINGS: 1952   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BarleyBob (18) - West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 9, 2007
I sampled the 2007 vintage. It poured a dark brown color with a thin, off-white head. The aroma was a wonderful mixture of coffee, brown sugar, chocolate, and caramel. The taste was almost all malt with the above flavors, and almost no discernable hop flavors. With the high alcohol content and the very sweet flavors, this ale was almost too intense for me right now. This is a brew that should mellow out and improve with age.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheMurphys (18) - Willowbrook, Illinois, USA - DEC 6, 2008
I bought this beer last eyar on my birthday and I have had several times since then but toady I am trying the one year aged beer. Man is it good! Smooth and soft which I thought was odd for a barley wine but it works very well with this beer. there is an alcohol bite but it works with all the flavors going on in this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Helibrewer (18) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - SEP 29, 2012
This is the commemorative release with proceeds going to tsunami relief for Ft Braggs sister city Otsuchi, Japan. Pours a rich clear red-brown in color. Thin head but persistent. Nice dark fruit flavors; raison, fig, date. Alcohol is evident on the finish. Drinks very much like a nice barleywine. This will be one of my favorite "big" beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
lspagnola (18) - - DEC 30, 2013
Bottle at Vitoís. This made me rethink my stance on barley wines. Very complex. Opened up nicely after warming in the glass. I hope the 2013 is as good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
johanjacobsson (17) - SWEDEN - AUG 16, 2013
Rich, copper colour and a rich, copper (in a good way!) taste. Smooth, relaxing and full bodied.

vferg (17) - Livingston, New Jersey, USA - FEB 19, 2008
2002 bottle. Considering how strong this beer is during the first few years of its life I would have to say after 6 years in, this flavors finally comes through. The malt finally took the lead with a huge jump in flavor and finally overpowered the alcohol that always seems to make this beer so unenjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
xCENOTAPHx (17) - Grandview, Texas, USA - AUG 10, 2008
2004 vintage. Dark ruby color. Tan head with lasting carbonation. Aroma is sweet and sticky like pomegranates. Flavor is spicy sweet chocolate with intense alcohol warmth. Good beer, but not worth the price.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
nja (17) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 7, 2004
Vintage 2003. Beautiful dark cranberry color; took it outside to look at it under the sunlight. White head with lace. Aromas of blackberry, raisins, caramel, and whiskey. Huge mouthfilling flavor of roasted malt, slightly sweet and bitter. Incredibly long finish of roasted malt and scotch. Fantasic.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
angolajones (17) - Angola, Indiana, USA - DEC 15, 2006
Heavy alcohol taste. My first sip, I told my wife I really liked this beer. My last sip I wasnít having the same reaction. The alcohol is definately present. It is a complex beer. I had the 2005 edition. I will try it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Marcmo (16) - Illinois, USA - FEB 18, 2002
I would expect more hops from a California beer, such those that are blasted at you in Big Foot Barleywine-Style ale from Sierra Nevada, but I can forgive North Coast for this because they already brew some wonderfully hoppy beers. This beer could also use some more yeast flavors -- some additional esters could make this beer more interesting.