RATINGS: 2037   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2014 vintage: 11.8%
2015 vintage: 11.9%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
dannyboydwp (48) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - FEB 21, 2004
2003 - Perhaps I had a bad Bottle, but this beer reaked and tasted of Alcohol. The color was a cherry red. A slight hoppy taste. But, everything was overpowered by the alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mathis (48) - KBH K, DENMARK - JAN 13, 2005
A dark golden brown body with off-white head. The aroma is sweet like cherries and "dadler". A round and strong flavor, with hints of sweet wildberries. A little too "ensidig", and the taste of alc is a bit dominating! I normally love US barley wines, but this particular one is too borring and doll. When i drink barley i want a kick in the head, and 100s of flavors to attac every inch of my bloody body!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tarc (47) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 4, 2008
2006 - The amorma was of sweet malt and fruit. The appearance was dark brown, tinit of red that was slightly cloudy with a minimal head. Flavor was stong of molasses, wine-like and sweet. I could taste the alcohol but found it perfect. Excellent!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
theaudist (46) - Alabama, USA - MAY 26, 2010
Such a great beer, I donít even know what to say about it. The flavors combine to almost taste like a portobello mushroom (Odd, but thats what I taste). A toffee taste dominates throughout in this expert barley wine. Just exceptional. My all time favorite beer thus far.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - NOV 17, 2005
Mmmmmmmm, good. This one is distinctive, and it also has a real nice kick! Rich, malty. and sweet, but not in a cheap or brash way. Kind of like a barleywine, but not quite as sweet as I remember the barleywine at the pub of the hotel where I stayed in England, but. I consider this brew just as classy and enjoyable to drink as whatever it was I drank those nights across the pond. This is about twice as strong in alcohol as the average beer or ale, but the alcohol taste is well integrated in a pleasant way with the wonderful flavor of the drink.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
fuzzcro (43) - Illinois, USA - OCT 28, 2015
This is my second time enjoying a bottle of 2013 vintage Old Stock Ale. I look forward to trying the 2014 vintage. I had Pranqster last evening and have enjoyed Old Rasputin also. I am quite impressed with North Coast Brewing Co! This Old stock ale is excellent. The only score I didnít top out was appearance...it is a bit cloudy in the glass and my preference is for a crystal clear appearance no matter to color tones...this one is a nice coppery color though cloudy. There is a very nice sweetness and absolutely no bitter at all. This combination will never fail to win me over big time.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
maus10 (42) - Arkansas, USA - SEP 28, 2012
I had this beer at 28 Springs in Siloam Springs, AR. 2012 vintage, served at 55 degrees, from a bottle in a tulip. This beer has an incredible aroma. Maybe a better aroma than taste, but the taste is fantastic as well. Bready and hints of caramel and fruits. Loved it! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerbumble (42) - Reno, Nevada, USA - FEB 28, 2003
Very strong, but still tastes great. Good color. Very little head. Very good beer. Fun to drink also.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
tapIluv99 (41) - Plano, Texas, USA - MAR 23, 2002
You have to acquire a taste for these barely wines...I will have too. Not much head, very sweet flavors, nice deep color, an heavy alcohol punch.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
radioscooter (41) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 9, 2011
No knowledge of this one, just bought it on a whim at VE. Poured into a pint glass. Medium pour achieves a thick, one finger head that dissipates rather quickly leaving drapey lacing behind. Medium reddish amber. Smell is unimpressive. Musty, formaldehydish. Taste. First sip is nothing but sweet booze and caramel. Malty goodness. Hints of vanilla, toffee, burnt sugar etc. VERY boozy. Hot and spicy, with a peppery finish. Great example of the style from an American brewery no less. SIPPER. Take heed. This one should be laid down for a few years to lose the extreme spikes and blend into something much more balanced. I bet this one turns out to be a star in a few years.