overall

RATINGS: 1933   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TChrome (1418) - Bedford, Texas, USA - MAR 24, 2002
I just bought the 2001 version so this has not had a chance to age much. No head whatsoever. Seems a little incomplete compared to the 2002 version of Sierra Nevadaís Bigfoot Barley. Will have to re-rate in about six months.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 16, 2002
Another great solid brew from the folks that brought us Rasputin Imperial! Very flavorful, but a tad cloying in its sweetness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
3fourths (8032) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 14, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2013 2002: Dark burgundy appearance. Big frothy brown head. Robust aroma of plums, cedar, red grapes, and mandarin oranges. Extremely thick and syrupy, hard to swallow itís so damn thick. Amazingly complex. Combined flavors of port, honey and brown sugar under a big hoppy plum profile. Even being somewhat new and unaged I thought it was wonderful. Having a 2 year aged bottle of the 2002 presents a more syrupy, stuffy and thick barley wine that, when compared side-by-side with Bigfoot (1 year aged) and Batch 6000 (1 year aged) it comes up in third and last place.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - MAR 26, 2004
2002. Deep, deep ruby colour. Thin disappating head. Little carbonation. Smells of oak soaked in alcohol. Thick, chewy malt sweetness. Tastes of medicine and coconut. Not as hopped as I would have thought. Very warming, almost burning.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jzzbassman (1516) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - OCT 5, 2004
I wish I would have read this description before drinking, because I would have aged this one a bit. Mine was a mahogany color, with a tiny head and good lacing. Big malty aroma. The flavor was young and sweet. I had no idea this was 11.4%, as the alcohol was not evident in the flavor profile. A little to sticky and harsh, I can imagine it being really nice in a year or two.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - DEC 27, 2004
Draft 2002 version. Poured a dark cloudy color with no head. Strong fruit smell with an heavy aroma of peach. A nice cold nite warm you up beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gachupines (901) - USA - JUN 6, 2006
2004 bottle. Brown color with a decent head which disappeared quickly. Taste was alcohol sweet with some malt. Some subtlety but overwhelmed by the alcohol sweetness. Not the beer I remember. Overall, a little too sweet and strong which surprised me because I remember like this beer more than I am now. Iíll have to rate a fresh bottle to see if it just doesnít age well to my palate. I know beer is supposed to mellow with age, but I donít remember it being this one sided when I had it fresh.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
thomat (2058) - GŲteborg, SWEDEN - OCT 12, 2006
Dark redish brown with a short lived tan head. Malty with alcohol sweetness. Full bodied with a long, smooth and warming aftertaste.Some bitterness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
lonelybeergeek (36) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - NOV 2, 2006
2006. New bottle. too cold. Pours with no head. 13.5%?? Word. Ok, itís warmed up a bit. I am watching the Suns beath the Clippers, drinking this new old stock, and enjoying myself immensely. Smells of dark fruits, green apple, alcohol, redwood. More dark fruits and malt in the mouth. Alcohol is very prominent. Very slight bitterness. I should have saved this one. This beer will age very well. Canít wait to try it in 2010.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Zinister (1423) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAY 17, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2008 2008 bottle. Deep amber pour with thin head. Nose of strong caramel and sweetness. Taste is hot alcohol (of course...itís young), sweet tannic malts, and turpentine. As it warms the flavors a more integrated, but obviously too young. Will hold the rest of the bottles for a while, but I had to try it fresh. Current rating is this vintage. 2007 bottle. Bright garnet color. Aroma of caramel, sweet dark fruits and a little spice. Taste is a bit hot right now, with maple and floral notes. Nice hop finish. Needs a little time in the bottle to become a better beer. 7/4/6/4/14=3.5