overall

RATINGS: 1963   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
yobdoog (1888) - Woodridge NY, New York, USA - JUN 18, 2009
2009 Bottle. Man this one needs many years. Clear reddish brown with ruby highlights. Aroma is sweet and sugary and slightly bitter and vanilla. Taste is extremely boozy. At first very bitter and warming doesnít help much. Almost hard to drink, very harsh.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
TLNash886 (228) - Idaho, USA - JAN 4, 2010
í09 12 oz bottle pours dark amber with minimal head into a snifter. Aroma of faded caramel malt, some raisin, apple, bit of booziness, molasses. Kind of an odd nappiness in the aroma that I didnít find appealing... meh. Taste starts with plumb, caramel malt which gives way to spiced apples, finishing boozy and spicy. Soft carbonation with a slick feeling on the palate; medium to full body. Is this really a barley wine? It seems similar, but the profile is significantly different than many other barley wines Iíve had. Either way, I found it comparatively off putting in both aroma and flavor. Tremendously overrated in my opinion.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
edwardbass (571) - Illinois, USA - JAN 28, 2011
Kind of lost on me. Very sweet and malty with very little hops. Maybe it needs to age a bit (2010 vintage). Not terrible, but not particularly good either.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Wolfenkopf (172) - Villa Park, Illinois, USA - FEB 1, 2011
This review is for the 2010 run. The aroma is chalky and malty, medium in body, but not overly enticing. The head is off-white and disappears as if afraid of its own shadow. The brew itself is a gorgeously deep brown. The taste malty and pleasant, but like a bomb going off, I received the most harsh sourness just after the first swig. I was certain that I had happened upon a bad bottle, but taking another, the sourness was not there. It did not appear again until much further into the bottle, and then much less severe. At the bottom of the bottle, the sourness was not to be found. I am certain that the sourness was an anomaly. Silky smooth on the palate, the carbonization is not strong. Overall, an enjoyable ale save for the random attack of sourness that I hope will not be in the next bottle I am sure to have.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Kevin (2109) - New Mexico, USA - FEB 13, 2005
04 bottle pours red with a brown tint and a thinner tan orange head that is more tan than orange. aroma is lighter than expected notes of lawn clippings and pineapple and a butload of sweetness and diesel fuel. whoa slow down there cowboy this is a sipper. the first taste was a bit much it made me cringe. but the rum like plum flavors came through on the second taste. wow the bitterness bleedss through this but it is still cloying. a medicinal taste remains with this. christwagons this is raw. note to self age this fucker. but it should be interesting to compare notes down the line. i can taste a doughy raisin something that is angry, not as angry as me, but angry nonetheless. damn this is potent. i have learned that elvis costello and barleywines donít mix. both are good on their own but donít fit the same room. damn the harsh flavors makes me want to kick a kid in a wheel chair. twice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
SuIIy (1983) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUN 10, 2005
2004 Bottle. Pours a dark red like brandy with minimal off white head. Little to no nose, some nuttiness, small amount of alcohol. Small hints of caramel, brandy with a warm alcohol feel. Possibly needs alot more aging.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Jmichael (640) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - FEB 22, 2007
2004 (bottle)poured into a tulip. pours dark cloudy amber with tan head, quick to dissipate, not too high. strong aroma a fig and grapes. taste is of grape and raisins with the alchohol present in the aftertaste. alchohol was present in the finish. I like North Coast Brewery, so an aged limited release I was very excited to try, I got my hands on this 2004 vintage, and honostly it was not that great. a little twangy, or sour. i have to say i was dissapointed, I just did not like it that much.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - FEB 10, 2008
2006 bottle consumed 2/08. Dark amber body, white head, sweet malty nose. Very sweet, brown sugar, maybe slightly fruity, syrupy body. Not very impressive.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Pinball (10962) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JAN 9, 2009
rating # 1000 bottle from Ýlbutikken. vintage 2004, tasted jan.2009. poured a cloudy brown with almost no head. aroma of aged beer, port wine, alc. flavor is strong. malty, figs, dark fruits, alc. flavors are nicely blended together. not my kind of beer, but iíve got to appreciate the complexity and wellroundedness. I will get my hands on a 2008 vintage and try again, adjust my score if i like the not-so-aged version better. My main complaint is the aroma, too much old beer and old booze in that aroma.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
LilBeerDoctor (3507) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 22, 2009
Draft at Sunset Grill. Pours a dark amber with a white head. Aroma of sweet malt and jam. Flavor of super sweet malt, yeast (?). Overpowering sweetness and booze. Wow, I donít know what other people see in this beer, but I donít care for it. 6/4/5/3/11 (2.9/5)