overall

RATINGS: 1919   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.’s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It’s brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so it’s a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coast’s Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
michael-pollack (4960) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 20, 2003
From a non-barley wine person... Pours and looks great, but is way too malty for my tastes.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
JohnRMurdoch (3240) - Glasgow, SCOTLAND - JUL 5, 2014
12oz bottle shared with mr_h. Reddish brown, reasonable head. Barley malt aroma. Barley sugar flavour. Strong sweet alcohol aftertaste. Not my thing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
dannyboydwp (48) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - FEB 21, 2004
2003 - Perhaps I had a bad Bottle, but this beer reaked and tasted of Alcohol. The color was a cherry red. A slight hoppy taste. But, everything was overpowered by the alcohol.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Andresvendsen (195) - - AUG 5, 2014
Den var väl sådär. Funkar i brist på annat. Snygg flaska och hyfsat bra pris. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
burcusabrews (106) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - NOV 23, 2004
2003 vintage. Deep amber with thin beige head, sweet honeyed aroma with some cooked veggies. Flavor rather ordinary some caramel and almonds with a hot finish. Average to just below average barley wine (IMHO)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
JAF737300 (1291) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 22, 2007
Okay, everyone likes this beer but with about 13% alcohol, I can’t get past the high alcohol content. The palate and flavor just does not do it for me!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
cheap (4005) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 23, 2009
On tap at the Vintage Estates, nice place. Not much aroma, does not come across as volatile. Color is darker than a lager, more brown or orange in there. Strong, almost like smoother whisky in flavor. Decent carbonation for a barley wine. For 12+ abv, this stuff hides the alky well. Medicinal at times. I think I’m getting dizzy. Finish is somewhat cough medicine linger. One of the smotther barley wines I’ve had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 3/20
Cajun (197) - Lafayette, Louisiana, USA - DEC 1, 2011
Bottle (2011) - Where do I start? While I loved the smell, appearance, and mouthfeel of this beer, the powerful taste of sweet syrup just couldn’t be ignored. It is possible that I got a batch that hadn’t been handled properly. Oh, certainly I know that I’m in the minority here, but I know barley wine. I absolutely love Old Foghorn and Bigfoot, but this was freakin’ ridiculously sweet....at the moment of tasting it. Maybe similiar to someone on a salad diet drinking a coke for the first time in months, .... and it tastes so SWEET. I may store this and re-rate after some time. Merci beaucoup.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
BillHick420 (424) - North Dakota, NORWAY - MAR 1, 2013
2012... Pours very nice red with a dissipating tannish head. Aroma of alcohol dominates for me. Other aromas kind of weak. Don’t taste much, kind of disappointing. Will try this one again tomorrow, because something isn’t right with me.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
SirLimpsalot (2105) - SWEDEN - NOV 3, 2010
Fin röd färg, men doften är nästan helt borta. Smaken är lite källaraktig med svaga toner av malt. Aningen oljig och jag får en liten trappist-känsla Lite besk och torr känns eftersmaken.