overall

RATINGS: 1925   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2012 vintage: 11.7%
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

chucklemation (461) - Pontiac, Michigan, USA - MAY 26, 2014
Pours a hazy brown like apple cider with a slight white head. Has a deliciously sweet aroma of dark fruits and caramel. Flavor is dark fruit and brown sugar. This barley wine has tons of flavor, as most do, but it doesnít have the same harsh bite that many others have. Delicious, full of aroma and flavor until the last drop.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - APR 27, 2003
Refuse to give a perfect score. 2001 bottle. Very nice head for such a potent ale. Unfiltered and dark ruby. This is more in the style of an english BW than a west coaster. Very similar flavor to the '99 Fuller's VA, but I liked this more cause of the strength of abv and of flavors. As it warms figs and caramel become very apparent. I can't think about it anymore cause I don't have any left and I'm starting to cry!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
ZepolK (102) - South Side Montebello, California, USA - NOV 8, 2003
Deep cherry/raisins/malt, full aroma. Dark mahogany red color with full tan head and lasting lacing. Flavor is complex and strong! Definite alcohol presence and lots of malt. Full rich mouth feel that is very satisfying. A very warm silky flow across the palate. If you get a chance to try this beer, and I highly recommend that you do, especially if you like a good barley wine, you will not be disappointed...First Rate!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - FEB 4, 2006
Oh man! This may be the barley wine to end all barley wines! Poured muddy brown with a light brown head that diminished quickly. The aroma on this monster is ridiculous. Chocolate, heavy malts, nuts, toasted bread, cookie dough, maple syrup, and roasted goodness. Unbelievable aroma! Had a wonderful thick, heavy, chewy mouthfeel that made it seem like I was eating the beer instead of drinking it. I thought that with that aroma the flavor could not hold up, but to my suprise it did! Chocolate, heavy malts, maple syrup, cookie dough, roasted awesomeness, nuttiness, and a beautiful warming finish from the alcohol. I must point out that I am not usually a fan of warming finishes, but this one is exquisite! All other barley wines must bow down to this creation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
killerK (14) - Alamo, California, USA - APR 7, 2007
personaly the best beer out there. Has an amazingly smooth but full and flavorfull taste. At first i was expecting a hoppier even bitter taste, but instead found a full bodied malty and creamy taste that almost fell off my tongue. It actually overwhelms your taste buds and then just stops. nothing like it and you will almost be let down that it isnt bitter or hoppy because you are always thinking this beer has to be harsh at 12%. incredible.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
opiate (199) - Sandy, Utah, USA - OCT 1, 2001
One of the best beers Iíve had the pleasure of drinking in my life! This stuff is BIG! Big alcohol. Big flavor. Big nose. Big mouthfeel. Yet smooth and easy to drink in my opinion. I didnít find the alcohol to be overwhelming at all. Noticable for sure...but not overkill. A great beer for a cold winter night. Iím gonna get my hands on some so I can see how it ages. I tried it (about 6 times) at the GABF last weekend. :-)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SirTom (88) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - NOV 23, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2004 Smell is stronger than the taste, but don't be deceived - the alcohol is present. The deal on a good beer at the price - $2.50 / bottle. rerate: just had the 03 old stock on draft @ toronado's in SF. wow, the smell was very heavy and sugary in a pleasant way. the taste and alcohol content was off the scale. aroma 10+ excellent!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
grat (433) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 7, 2004
2004. I am officially an over rater. Sorry. Never trust me. First off this brew is 11.4 percent. How could it be bad? When you open the bottle it smells like you just walked into an old travelling medicine show from the wild west. Room and nostrils fils with the cakey sweet aroma of cough syrup, prunes and sweet sweet loviní!!! Pour. Comes out like it was medicine for Ebola. Thick and runny on the glass. ZERO HEAD!!!! Which with a beer like this means no pretensions...sheís an honest gal. As I stab it with my nose I am overwhelmed with lust for this brew. I can smell the thickness. Press it to my mouth and my pants go crazy. Tatses of plums and raisins. Nyquil and vodka. Ohh I love you old stock. Tell me what to do and I as your slave will do it. Aftertaste lingers like feelings for your ex. Great brew...deep rich and not for the faint of heart. G-rat

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Nate (3719) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 27, 2004
2001 vintage at Akkurat. Wonderful nose. Twizzler, oak, vanilla, sugar, prune, toast, roasted malt. Before yeast, ruby red-brown clear with lacing off-white thin head. Thick oily body with silky carbonation. Starts sweet, mellow and malty. A myriad of flavor, vanilla, oak, prune, caramelized sugar. Finish is smooth, vinuous, fine port, oak. Alcohol warming (11.2%) and velvet. This is a great barly wine. Sweet after, mellow and ethereal.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TexasAggie12 (64) - Burnet, Texas, USA - OCT 20, 2006
Very dark pour with little head. Smell of toasted malt and hops. Nice flavor of malt,coffee,hops and bitter sweet choclate. Very thick beer on the mouth. Nice drinker when cold outside.