overall

RATINGS: 1943   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tokyogoat (1503) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 7, 2009
2007 vintage consumed 11/08 They should rename this beer, "North Coast Jizz in Your Pants Ale." Because after one sip I thought to myself, "man, iíd let someone jizz in my pants if they bought me one of these." Poured cold, let sit and warm up. Pour was a dark golden orange, with very little head and little carbonation. I cant see through it at all. Taste is of rich toffee and bourbon, and still somewhat hot with alcohol. Hot enough that my cheeks are warming up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ano1ridesthe19 (23) - Chico, California, USA - JUL 20, 2009
Many 4 packs over the years. Finally in Fort Bragg at the tap house. This has got to be one of the best strong ales out there. Huge hop flavor and heavy spice nose. Awesome red brownish color in the pour. North coast has been a true champion in brewing true high quality heavy duty craft beers year after year. If your going to the coast it is a must visit. Superb food, great people and the Mendocino coast, who could ask for more?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rpm56 (11) - Alabama, USA - MAY 14, 2010
Pours to a nice caramel head that dissipates in about two minutes, leaving a beautiful deep cooper ale. A nose of damp leaves and wood. A smooth palate and lasting finish. One of my favorite ales.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Belize2000 (23) - Loon Lake, Washington, USA - APR 26, 2012
Old Stock Ale by North Coast Brewing 12 oz bottle 4-24-12 Pours reddish brown with big off white to tan head and medium retention. Rich sweet malt smell with hints of caramel and light hops alcohol is noticeable but not bad at 11.9%. I love this beer and thank North coast brewing for doing a great job with this Ale, I have had this beer many times and always stock up when released hope to do a 3 yaer veridical some day if I can save some LOL.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Englishatheart (10) - North Dakota, USA - MAY 26, 2014
2013 bottle. recommended by clerk. A little pricey. chilled lightly and wow ! so full of flavour. worth the price. alcohol is well hidden. lots of dried fruit. my first barley wine. will keep a few in cellar to age. North Coast rocks !

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerguy101 (5287) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 28, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 15, 2003 retaste 1/15/2003. Have mellowed and gained complexity with age. Medium brown color, small head.Aroma is very malty. Very malty, full-bodied, full flavored ale. Very nice hop malt balance. Malts are sweet, roasted caramel. Mouthfeel is full, round and nearly chewy. Has a definite high alcohol taste to it (10.5%) Finish is smooth. Aftertaste is malty, slightly bitter. Could use some bottle aging. North Coast recommends at least a year of bottle aging. Re-taste again in a year, that is if I have any left. Still have 2 bottles left in 2003. Need to buy some 2002 quick.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Trappistenbier (51) - BELGIUM - JAN 9, 2003
My tastebuds are well surprised this time. This is top-quality beer and it comes from the States. The creamy foam head which appeared instantly when pouring out is from a very rare one and stayed longer than I would expect from an American beer. Nipping the beer shocked me in the way that I was just drinking some kind of siropy liquid. Such a dense mouthfeeling. Incredible. This is cough-sirup and a real treat. First thing I noticed when I taste was a kind of liquorice taste. Sweet malty, alkoholic (11.5%!!!), a total lack of carbonation which was really not a shame, nice balanced hops and before I noticed my glass was already empty leaving some kind of dark sirupy film in the glass. I already had the marvelous Old rasputin Imperial Stout from the same brewery, but Jezus, this is pure magic !!!!!!! Cheers,

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - OCT 23, 2006
2004 bottle. Pours a cloudy dark brown with some orange highlights. Aroma is wonderful on this, better than I remember from trying before. Smells very much like grapes, with caramel and brown sugar. Clearly beer, but very winelike. Very sweet taste, but in a careless sugary fashion. This is incredibly nice and smooth, yet strong, with toffee, butterscotch and vinuous notes going down. According to my girlfriend (with an excellent sense of smell), this beer has some sort of "Christmas bread" flavor to it. I felt like I can taste my Grandmaís basement in this beer somehow. Itís as if the term "cellaring" became more literal than intended. Thick full mouthfeel, very low carbonation. A beer that veils as many different flavors as it flaunts. I think 2 years time did wonders to this beer, as it certainly emphasizes the "wine" in "barley wine."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
thefederalist (294) - Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA - SEP 22, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 16, 2008 Pours clear mahogany with a medium smallish head. No lacing. Aroma of booze and figs. Flavor is sweet, but not cloying. Malt profile is a real treat with some dried fruit and candy flavors. Could use maybe a touch more hop bitterness, but I give it a couple extra points for the amazing ABV burn it leaves down the back of the throat. Very nice! It will be interesting to see how this one ages.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Sephiroth (66) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 22, 2008
2002 Edition: One of my longtime favorites, this beer will go into a tulip. The head is much more subdued than my previous bottles from this year. The half inch head quickly fades to nothing. The body is transparent only when held to a light source, and even then one must be quite close to the glass. The nose is malty and vinous. Slight vanilla and raisins are detected. This baby is in its prime. The malts are complex. I really cannot pick any individual flavor out of this. The malt is somewhat roasty, with dark fruits as well. The finish is dry, almost like I am drinking Cabernet. Must be the remnants of the hops. The mouthfeel is thick, but not coating as I imagine it once was. Even if there was a hint of the 11.4% ABV, this would be extremely drinkable. Time has been good to this, as the alcohol is buried deeply within this one. I cannot find any more recent vintages of this one in Indy. There seems to be plenty of this one, though. I give a three for appearance because of the enormous head on every other occassion that I drank this one. I will edit this the next time I pop one. Edit: My glass might have been slightly dirty the last time. This time, I get the nice head I am accustomed to from this one. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 07-21-2005 06:33:38