overall

RATINGS: 2016   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.ís commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Itís brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so itís a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coastís Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2012 vintage: 11.7%
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%

Trappistenbier (52) - BELGIUM - JAN 9, 2003
My tastebuds are well surprised this time. This is top-quality beer and it comes from the States. The creamy foam head which appeared instantly when pouring out is from a very rare one and stayed longer than I would expect from an American beer. Nipping the beer shocked me in the way that I was just drinking some kind of siropy liquid. Such a dense mouthfeeling. Incredible. This is cough-sirup and a real treat. First thing I noticed when I taste was a kind of liquorice taste. Sweet malty, alkoholic (11.5%!!!), a total lack of carbonation which was really not a shame, nice balanced hops and before I noticed my glass was already empty leaving some kind of dark sirupy film in the glass. I already had the marvelous Old rasputin Imperial Stout from the same brewery, but Jezus, this is pure magic !!!!!!! Cheers,

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - AUG 3, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2005 2002 Vintage - Dark red with a small off-white head and good lacing. Wonderful tawny port aromas. Superb flavors. Very complex. Alcohol is masked very well. Flavors become even more complex as it warms up. Very full bodied with soft carbonation. This is an excellent barleywine. [Update] Tried another one and this beer deserves a higher rating. This is the best barleywine I have had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
steview (1036) - Petaluma, California, USA - SEP 30, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2004 2002 bottle: smells like chocolate covered cherries, wood, leaf. looks like a fizzy, dark brown wine. nice peanut colored head that diminishes nicely as a tight ring of bubbles around the glass. there is JUST enough carbonation present. it starts off chocolate, fruit, fresh bread. as it warms the beer becomes smooth like velvet and packages itself as a tighter bundle of flavors. i was eventually left with a warming holiday present of sticky liquor-filled chocolates and tart cherries that were just subtle enough in presence. thank BierBauch! UPDATE 12/8/04 thanks Dorwart! 2002 / downrated! wooh! but this is still delicious... creamy, smooth, delicious, still. caramel, liquor, light fruit like cherry--slightly vinous as a good affect. iím still amazed! and my original notes are still good! YEAAA!!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - JAN 24, 2004
Bottle that was aged. 2002. Deep copper in color, with a huge thick head. nice aroma of maple. Well made and impressive beer. I really liked it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
PeterA (340) - SLOVAK REPUBLIC - FEB 13, 2004
2001 - thanks to argo0. Nice sweet, malty aroma. Deep, cloudy brown color, but not much head. Very rich beer, complex flavors, malts, vanilla, fruits, and less of an alcohol flavor than you'd expect given the abv. Aftertaste has a hint of bitterness from some mighty fine hops. To put it simply, yum.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
xenthem0nk (101) - Oregon, USA - DEC 23, 2005
Bottle from Haggen in Beaverton, OR, which is the only place Iíve ever seen it. This is hands down a great barely wine, lots of malty sweetness. Pours dark copper with a half inch head (I was hoping for more). Good lacing. Strong aroma with dark sweets, I would say some old brown sugar and subtle vanilla for some reason, which surprised me. At 11.4%, I was wondering how well they would be able to hide the alchohol, but leave it to North Coast, they have great brewing skill. The only thing that was overly pronouced in this barleywine was its balanced mouthfeel and flavor. Lots of deep sweetness which made this winter night feel nice and cozy. Alchohol burn hits at the very end, lingering on the tongue. Great brew, must try.

frankenkitty (1981) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - FEB 14, 2006
2004 Vintage††Pours a near-opaque, rich ruby/vermillion with nigh a head except for a thin, white halo. Juicy, caramel aroma, mostly malts with a lick of alcohol and plenty of dark fruits and caramel. (Intoxication intensifies exponentially as it warms.) "Oh my," I actually proclaim as I taste this one. Rich and wooden with the alcohol seriously penetrating, the flavor also finds vinous notes, deep veins of caramel and sweet baked goods... itís like being a child again, finding delicious treats in the strangest of places! A thick, syrupy, warming palate rates a "4" until I take into account the soft shroud of drunkeness that blankets me. Perfect.

Gene, you can keep your Old Horizontal... Iíve found a BarleyWine worthy of my time ("floor-malted Maris-Otter Malt" my ASS).

<font size=-4>Purchased at <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Chicago, IL 60638<font size=-1>

RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - OCT 23, 2006
2004 bottle. Pours a cloudy dark brown with some orange highlights. Aroma is wonderful on this, better than I remember from trying before. Smells very much like grapes, with caramel and brown sugar. Clearly beer, but very winelike. Very sweet taste, but in a careless sugary fashion. This is incredibly nice and smooth, yet strong, with toffee, butterscotch and vinuous notes going down. According to my girlfriend (with an excellent sense of smell), this beer has some sort of "Christmas bread" flavor to it. I felt like I can taste my Grandmaís basement in this beer somehow. Itís as if the term "cellaring" became more literal than intended. Thick full mouthfeel, very low carbonation. A beer that veils as many different flavors as it flaunts. I think 2 years time did wonders to this beer, as it certainly emphasizes the "wine" in "barley wine."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
thefederalist (298) - Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA - SEP 22, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 16, 2008 Pours clear mahogany with a medium smallish head. No lacing. Aroma of booze and figs. Flavor is sweet, but not cloying. Malt profile is a real treat with some dried fruit and candy flavors. Could use maybe a touch more hop bitterness, but I give it a couple extra points for the amazing ABV burn it leaves down the back of the throat. Very nice! It will be interesting to see how this one ages.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Sephiroth (66) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 22, 2008
2002 Edition: One of my longtime favorites, this beer will go into a tulip. The head is much more subdued than my previous bottles from this year. The half inch head quickly fades to nothing. The body is transparent only when held to a light source, and even then one must be quite close to the glass. The nose is malty and vinous. Slight vanilla and raisins are detected. This baby is in its prime. The malts are complex. I really cannot pick any individual flavor out of this. The malt is somewhat roasty, with dark fruits as well. The finish is dry, almost like I am drinking Cabernet. Must be the remnants of the hops. The mouthfeel is thick, but not coating as I imagine it once was. Even if there was a hint of the 11.4% ABV, this would be extremely drinkable. Time has been good to this, as the alcohol is buried deeply within this one. I cannot find any more recent vintages of this one in Indy. There seems to be plenty of this one, though. I give a three for appearance because of the enormous head on every other occassion that I drank this one. I will edit this the next time I pop one. Edit: My glass might have been slightly dirty the last time. This time, I get the nice head I am accustomed to from this one. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 07-21-2005 06:33:38