overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2199   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Arrogant Bastard Aged with oak chips.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
johnykat (65) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 16, 2007
My first Stone beer, and very happy to try it. This beer was a lot darker than I expected with a dark red/amber color. Tastes is very good, almost like an IPA with the hops very present. I did not taste much of a "wood" flavor, but there was a heavy vanilla flavor present to me. It was really nice. The only thing I felt held it back a little was that it was overly bitter for my taste (not a surprise at all) but still put me off a bit. Nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Doctormirk (100) - USA - JAN 16, 2007
Pours smooth with a thick creamy head. Reddish orange when held up to a light- slightly hazy. Smells of caramel, maybe toffee and there is a tang of hops in the scent... or maybe that’s just my anticipation kicking in. Definitely related to the regular AB with somewhat subtle oak flavors. Could have had more prevalent oak, but glad to see it wasn’t overdone. I suppose it’s a bit like The Price is Right... Can still taste the citrus-tree-sappy hops on the sides on my tongue about an hour later, delicious.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SB (334) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 15, 2007
Bottled on 1.10.07. Poured brown. Nice looking bubbly brownish head. Nice lacing on the glass, and a nice pattern left in the beer. Aroma of pine and malts. Huge hop hit of pine and grapefruit flavors with the first sip. Grassy notes in the end. As it warmed up I got sweet caramel notes in the back. Not as much oak as I would have expected was it was nice what I got, not overdone. Lingering hoppy aftertaste. Dry finish, medium to full bodied. Mouth feel was creamy and smooth. Nice tingle on my tounge from the carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pivnizub (9199) - Bochum, Porúří, GERMANY - JAN 15, 2007
Bottle (at the Düsseldorf Gathering): Strong fruity and aromatic-hoppy nose; robust to strong bitter dry flavour, medium bodied; lingering distinctive dry resinous-hoppy finish. Very decent stuff.........

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Optigon (562) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - JAN 14, 2007
A strongly hopped, alcoholic ale with a fruity, hoppy aroma. The aftertaste is spectacular. This beer simply explodes with flavor on contact with the tongue. Excellent beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - JAN 13, 2007
I did not like this as much as the non-oaked version. For one I just dont think hoppy beers work well with the oak cask thing. Pours with a nice thick head ruby color. A little smoother tasting and finish has some wood to it and some sweetness which I found to be somewhat off.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hopson (635) - Williamsville, New York, USA - JAN 12, 2007
dark brown in appearence, aroma of citrus hops, smooth, drinkable, with an bitter finish. extremely complex,-breads, citrus, chocolate, but lacking in the "oaked" department. expecting something smokier. Nice beer, not so sure how often I will have it due to the price

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JAN 12, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 13, 2007 Very dark amber body, off-white large, rocky head with lacing, sweet, fruity hop aroma with candyish malts. Complex body with a sweet start, sweet but bitter body, some smoke and some breadiness in the very bitter finish. Somewhat creamy mouthfeel, nicely done. I don’t get the oak specifically, but this is somehow rather different that the regular version. 9 5 8 4 17. RERATE 9/07: What is it about STone beers that when I find one I like, the next time I have it it sucks? On tap. Minimal nose, minimal malt, minimal hops, medicinal. Tastes like the wood absorbs all the flavor. Nuts.

decaturstevo (5409) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - JAN 11, 2007
An aroma of hard citrus hops. If bitter is aroma you can smell it in this beer. It makes your mouth water. A slightly hazed maber/brown our wiht a guey lacing. A flavor of grapefruit and apples. If there is oak in there I don’t get it, but it is still excellent. A solid palate neither over carbonated nor thin. Overall a very good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kmweaver (3207) - Petaluma, California, USA - JAN 11, 2007
Tap at the Brickskeller. Pours a cloudy, orangish red appearance; light tan head with great retention and lacing. Piney hops, maple syrup and some wood in the aroma - dank and overripe. Medium-to-full mouthfeel: enormous amounts of citrus and piney hops (some grapefruit, lemon); wood character, certainly, although more dry cedar than a toasty oak (which only shows at the end). Lengthy finish: citrus hops and some warmth from the oak.