overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2140   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Arrogant Bastard Aged with oak chips.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
jblendy (519) - Hawthorne, New Jersey, USA - NOV 5, 2006
UPDATED: APR 25, 2007 Re-Rate. Pours dark brown/amber with a nice creamy tan head. Woody, vanilla, caramel, citrus, a hint of light coffee grounds, and dark fruit aromas. Flavor follows follows the aroma almost perfectly, but with a nice semi-sweet creamy undertone. Palate is creamy, woody, a little fruity, and has some nice easy bitterness. Complex, flavorful, and definitely worth trying.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
OhioDad (2493) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - NOV 5, 2006
12oz bottle pours dark amber almost brown with a creamy tan head that stayed for a while and laced some. Aromas of caramel, grapefruit, a touch of oak. Flavor is big caramel malts, grapefruit hops, some oak, a little pine, and a somewhat bitter finish. Interesting how the oak accents this fine brew. Medium body without much carbonation and a good smooth oily mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
redave (165) - squaw valley, California, USA - NOV 4, 2006
Brown [probably similar to the "regular arrogant bastard"] orangeish red highlights. Tan cream head, sticky lace down the sides. First sip too cold ... lots of flavors third sip some time later.. rich nuttyness some bittering around the tongue, but not usual hoppiness. A different flavor, somewhat like the different of regular AB but also the Oak perhaps? Rich, complex deep flavors. I got a bit of sticker shock, never paid that much for a six pack before, [12.46] but after reading the forums [and doing the math] It’s really not such a bad deal after all, and maybe it would be nice to have this and other richer stone offerings in 12 oz bottles.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
STEPHENDR (478) - California, USA - NOV 4, 2006
12 oz. bottle - Dark molasses color with a tint of red –head is tan , medium , small bubbles – nose of dark berries ( cherries ) , cinnamon , coffee grounds and orangey – taste of malts , gummy tar , spruce , hopps ( both bitter , and pine ) caramel , and some wood ( mostly cedar )- medium tart body – aftertaste is long earthy , malt and caramel

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - NOV 4, 2006
12oz Bottle. Brownish red with a nice creamy off white head. Excellent head retention. Malty caramel nose, along with some grapfruit. Flavor of toffee and caramel, complimented by a dry fruity bitterness. Hop profile is mellower than with the regular AB. Mouthfeel is nice, not sticky at all. The oak really shines in the bitter finish, which gives it some woody dryness. Very interesting twist to the regular bastard. Thank you Greg for putting this in 12 oz bottles. I can now afford to try this. Still like the regular Bastard better though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - NOV 4, 2006
12 oz bottle. Stone, thank you for putting this in Six Packs. I only hope that Arrogant Bastard will continue to be in six pack form. Anyway, I have had this on tap many times, and I have had mixed results. This one, out of the bottle tonight was nice. I love that the Oak is subtle, and not in your face. Stone is a wonderful brewery. Good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
bgburdman9 (857) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - NOV 3, 2006
From the new sixers. Poured brownish with reddish hints and a pretty descent size lt brown head. Aroma was oaky grapefruit and some sweet caramel. Not as aggresive as i remember the regular ab being. More mellow and smooth. Very solid beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - NOV 1, 2006
Bottle from new six pack release: Pours Dark Amber in color, with an off white head, much like it’s oakless counterpart. As I opened the bottle, I noted hints of what I think was vanilla. I poured this into my arrogant bastard pint glass and got another whiff of it. I note a bit of oak with a touch of vanilla and some hops that seem to be a little more hidden than its counterpart. Smells of grapefruit are also present. Taste is refreshingly different than regular Arrogant Bastard. Sure, this beer has the excessively bitter grapefruit taste going on (which I really like) but I also notice a nice amount of oak flavor, with a dash of vanilla. This version of the bastard seems to meld together a little better, with a bit of a creamy mouthfeel to it that is missing in regular AB. When I first tasted this beer, I was a little taken aback by it, I was not expecting it to taste the way it did, but the more I drink, the more subtleness I noticed and the more I enjoyed. This is an incredibly good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - OCT 15, 2006
Pour is reddish brown with a thin brownish head...smell is still the same bastard with hints of smoke behind the massive hops...taste is again, strikingly similiar to its brother, but more subdued and round...chewy mouthfeel with a nice slick finish...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
UselessGdTaste (365) - Long Beach, California, USA - OCT 5, 2006
ABA is one of my favorite ales ever. I actually enjoy the oaked version more. To me, the flavors of the original were not necessarily less in this version, but they were bridged nicely with the presence of the oak. Thank goodness I live close enough to get refills.