overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2143   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Arrogant Bastard Aged with oak chips.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - NOV 1, 2006
Bottle from new six pack release: Pours Dark Amber in color, with an off white head, much like it’s oakless counterpart. As I opened the bottle, I noted hints of what I think was vanilla. I poured this into my arrogant bastard pint glass and got another whiff of it. I note a bit of oak with a touch of vanilla and some hops that seem to be a little more hidden than its counterpart. Smells of grapefruit are also present. Taste is refreshingly different than regular Arrogant Bastard. Sure, this beer has the excessively bitter grapefruit taste going on (which I really like) but I also notice a nice amount of oak flavor, with a dash of vanilla. This version of the bastard seems to meld together a little better, with a bit of a creamy mouthfeel to it that is missing in regular AB. When I first tasted this beer, I was a little taken aback by it, I was not expecting it to taste the way it did, but the more I drink, the more subtleness I noticed and the more I enjoyed. This is an incredibly good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - OCT 15, 2006
Pour is reddish brown with a thin brownish head...smell is still the same bastard with hints of smoke behind the massive hops...taste is again, strikingly similiar to its brother, but more subdued and round...chewy mouthfeel with a nice slick finish...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
UselessGdTaste (365) - Long Beach, California, USA - OCT 5, 2006
ABA is one of my favorite ales ever. I actually enjoy the oaked version more. To me, the flavors of the original were not necessarily less in this version, but they were bridged nicely with the presence of the oak. Thank goodness I live close enough to get refills.

hophead75 (2008) - Largo, Florida, USA - OCT 2, 2006
GABF 06. Basically the same as the regular version, with a decent amount of oak character and a little bit less on the hops, probably from aging. I think I may have liked this version more than the original.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
fordest (1964) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - OCT 1, 2006
3L bottle. Huge head, and since I couldnt tilt my glass while holding this monster bottle with two hands, I was stuck with huge amounts of foam. But the beer grew nicely and was really great looking. Hops on the aroma, and wood in the flavor. Similar to AB, but still different.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ChazMania (652) - Pasadena, California, USA - SEP 29, 2006
On tap at Stuffed Sandwich. Wow, this was a liquid meal in a glass! Fantasticaly balanced, full rich and chewy. Not overly hoped nor burnt. I wish I could have a keg of this at home! (then again, i’d be wasted too much). Keep loving the Stone Beers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
realale420 (399) - west covina, California, USA - SEP 15, 2006
On tap poured deep reddish/brown in color with a nice sized tan head and good lacing. Aromas of oak right off the bat with some toasted caramel malts and a touch of hops. The taste was a shock compared to the regular bastard. Extremely smooth with little bitterness and a nice oak flavor that mellows the beer out. No big grapefruit flavors like in the regular version. Overall a great oaked beer that I would definitely have more of.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bager (2121) - Copenhagen N, DENMARK - SEP 10, 2006
On tap at O’brians, San Diego. Pours dark brown in colour with almost no head. Roasted and malty. Nice hoppy bitterness. Notes of oak and caramel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hayduke (3322) - Eureka, California, USA - AUG 27, 2006
Thanks to Stone for bring a big bottle to Hops in Humboldt Micro-Brew Festival and for a few of us lucky folks. I had to stand in line for the the 3 PM serving of this, and it was worth it. I have to admit I had been beer tasing for three hours, so I was lucky to even find the line at this point The pour was dark amber with small head, but then I think they were being careful not to spill any of this special brew. Arrogant Bastard it was but with the oak flavor. I cannot say for sure it was a whole lot better, only different. Maybe a little less sweet and a bit dryer. A really fun ale and a worth big brother to its sibliing, and I sure wish we could get it up here behind the Redwood Curtain.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Bartzilla (532) - La Mesa, California, USA - AUG 26, 2006
I had this on tap recently and more distantly, out of the 3 liter bottle. Very good stuff. Light oak flavor that compliments the bastard well.