overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2167   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Arrogant Bastard Aged with oak chips.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 10, 2005
Mahogany with a foamy off white head. Strong and lasting head that it is. Great lacing. Hoppy and familiar, but I’m not really finding much oakiness in the nose. Wait a second, after it warms up a bit, it comes out. Now the flavors is where the oak makes itself known. Nice and smooth. Alcohol bite with a nice bitter tail. Great malty body with hints of oak throughout. Can’t beat it. Thanks Jordo!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TChrome (1418) - Bedford, Texas, USA - FEB 9, 2005
Dark amber color with great head and excellent lacing. Very hoppy aroma. Flavor is not nearly as aggressive as the regular Arrogant Bastard. Wood flavor kicks in as it warms. Not as good as the regular AB, IMO.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinz (3292) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - FEB 6, 2005
End of our baby shower at CAH, the diehards and I saunter up to the bar and say, "yeah, I’ll take that one." Slightly shocked looks from the bartender. Everyone in the immediate vicinity staring at the crazy people. It was a good moment. Poured a beautiful orange red color, vibrant head that lasted nicely. Big hop aroma, grapefruit faint, but solid earth and pine over a sweet backbone. Flavor matched, with the added touch of vanilla, courtesy of the oak. I found this to be a marked improvement over the original. Fantastic stuff that I wish came in a format I could buy more readily.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
CaptainCougar (7132) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - FEB 2, 2005
3 Liter bottle shared by goldtwins: Pours a dark copper mahogany brown with a frothy light tan head and thin lacing. Mildly hoppy with some light, dry oak and earthy malt in the aroma. Starts lightly caramely and malty sweet with some green hops and a very dry oaky finish. Sugary gritty mouthfeel throughout. Nice beer, but way to pricey. I wish they would’ve put this in bombers, especially with the O-ring problems goldtwins mentions.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - FEB 2, 2005
3L Bottle
Crimson red with lots of creamy espresso like head with vicious chaotic lacing. Subued chinook and fruit pectin with some licorice notes in the nose. Flavor is lightly salty with vanilla from the oak chips. Finishes smoother and creamier than the regular AB. Good though!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
giarcsr (103) - Carlsbad, California, USA - FEB 1, 2005
This is something that I had been waiting to try for a while, so when I got some I was rather pleased, but when I finally tried it I felt a little let down. It has the same aroma as AB except with a touch of vanilla, it looks the same as AB, but it doesn’t taste as smooth or flavorful as AB. There is a slight hint of oak flavoring to it, but in my opinion, it doesn’t really add to the beer, but hinder it slightly. This is a great idea, but it doesn’t really work out too well. Stone should release the whiskey barrel doulbe bastard which is a far superior beer to this and an improvement on the outstanding double bastard beer. Which, when your doing a special release such as this, should be the case. I’m glad Stone is willing to do releases such as this, and I wish they would do more, but I feel that this isn’t an improvement on the original AB.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
qdog (201) - Cleveland, Mississippi, USA - JAN 30, 2005
Large bottle at Toronto christmas party, dark amber color, very nice off-white head, nice lacing, smells fruity and hoppy, sweet malt taste mixed with oak, bitterness at end.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - JAN 28, 2005
On tap @ Hollingshead Deli. Ruddy brown brew raising only a slight head. Nose kind of stunk of mustiness. Was a little surprised as I thought this was gonna be a massive brew but it wasnt. The oak was there but compared to some of the barrel aged monsters out there it was tame. Glad I didnt shell out for one of those 3 liters.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - JAN 27, 2005
Massive 3L that will look amazing on my shelf. Only problem with the bottle was the rubber "o" ring on the flip top had a nasty stank to it. Poured a clear ruby color with a light tan head. Aroma had softened from the aging. (side note: I don’t think that is a bad thing for this or another beer but I bought a regular 3 L and just haven’t had a chance to open it and am worried it wont be the beer I bought the bottle for). Light sweet malt, light oak (I too expected more), and some apple deep down in there. Flavor too had aged out somewhat. Light sweetness from the malt. A long dry and bitter hopped finish with a touch of oak.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
badgerben (4401) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - JAN 27, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2009 Original Rating, January 27, 2005. Tasted at Wawood’s Winter Gathering, many thanks to slikwily for sending it down! Pours a dark brown with a large head. Aroma is quite piney. Tastes very much of wood and more pine. Bitter and a bit rough. It was tasty enough, but I was hoping for more. 7/4/7/3/15

Re-Rated, September 24, 2009. Fresh batch. I had long wanted to re-sample this. Finally found it in 12 ounce bottles! Dark brown color with a medium head. Very caramelly aroma with a tinge of pine. Toasty oak flavor up front, drifting into a charred and ashy character. More caramel malt. Moderate piney hop and quite acidic. Not bad, not godly. Same numbers.