overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2140   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Arrogant Bastard Aged with oak chips.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - NOV 10, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 7, 2005 Draught. Copper. Aroma consisted of the typical lemony and grapefruit like hops and toasted and caramel like malts that are usually present in the standard Bastard. Added notes of strawberry jam, vanilla and toasted oak became evident in the nose as well. In terms of flavor, the hops toned down a lot. Toasted oak and vanilla became evident as well. I had this on draught twice on two different days. It wasnít that good and this isnít what I consider to be an improvement. But you might.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4831) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 16, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2011 I had been looking forward to trying this one since I first heard of it. Sampled on draft the beer poured a dark mahogany color with a small tan head. The aroma was hoppy and had definite wood elements. The mouthfeel was rather flat. There was the strong grapefruity hop flavor that one expects to find with an Arrogant Bastard, but it was somehow muted and diminished by the noted wood flavor. The finish was very bitter. In all an interesting beer but I would rather have the regular Arrogant Bastard.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
chriso (7347) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 3, 2005
Courtesy of The_Beer_God at the DC gathering. What a production job this is. 3 litre bottle, complete with padlock. I suppose it would have been preferable if Iíd tried the ordinary Arrogant Bastard first, but I havenít, so here goes. Now, I may be swimming against the tide here, but I found this an oddly disappointing beer. Perhaps my expectations, after all Iíd heard about it were just too high. Brownish ruby red colour. The aroma was wood, and the flavour was wood. Vanilla comes through. Thereís some hop and hint of malt trying to fight its way out of the forest, but its having an uphill struggle. Iím not saying itís a bad beer, but I think itís over-hyped and I just didnít think it meshed together convincingly. Oak plus beer is not always a combination made in heaven and needs to be handled carefully. Against Stoneís high standards, I didnít feel it was entirely successful.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
NVBeer232 (467) - Reno, Nevada, USA - APR 25, 2005
Copper pour with a tan, foamy head. Lots of vanilla in the nose, with a little bit of maltiness underneath. Very smooth and soft compared to the regular Arrogant. Almost creamy texture. Hops emerge on the finish. Decent, but way overpriced/overpackaged.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Rastacouere (6122) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 13, 2005
Cloudy beautiful orange-copper pour that displays a huge dark beige head. Balanced and complex americanized hop-malt monster surprises with powdered cocoa notes amidst the bready and thick malts, fully letting the way to the heavily earthy, rooty, soily hops bearing a bite of citrus. Mango fruitiness, well contained oak and pepper peak through, but it fails to really impress due to a pronounced astringency and more acidity than Iíd like. Dry medium body, powdery texture, not too bitter, quite alcoholic.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MIBRomeo (2537) - Wisconsin, USA - MAY 1, 2006
Dark por huge sticky tan head well laced Mid aroma is very light w/ a light grass hop Pal is lightly oily even not as big as I expected. Flavor is odd lightly bitter very oaky a decent malt & tchs of vanilla nothing stood out to impress me Very unimpressed

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - NOV 8, 2006
Not a huge Stone fan. I think AB is wonderful at about six months. This 2006 offering in 12 oz bottles might be controversial to beer snobs, but I like it. I donít usually want to drink 22 oz of AB. And since I have no friends, I canít share. This beer is too bitter, needs a bit of time to mellow. Nice melanoidin body, pure crystal malts and lots of them? Chinook harsh bitterness and aroma. Pine, grapefruite peel squirted in your face. Tongue coating pine tar finish. Like others have said, much nicer at cellar temp.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tjthresh (1865) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - NOV 29, 2006
12 ounce bottle from my SS winter 06. Same cough syrup red color with a decent tan head. I honestly do see my difference between this the the regular stuff. Lots of spicey and piney hop aroma. Huge bitterness. Long agressive finish. The oak here is subtle at best. For some reason, I am enjoying this more that the regular bottle I had a couple of weeks ago.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - DEC 23, 2006
12 ounce bottle from Bello Vino in Ann Arbor, Michigan (December 2006) enjoyed at cellar temperature from a Corsendonk Christmas Ale glass in front of an incredibly ancient computer at 26kps at my parentsí house in Clinton, WI. Light burgundy pour, translucent/muddy, with a bounteous light taupe head, fine-bubbled and leaving copious lacing....vinous, oaky-vanilla notes are certainly present in the nose but never overpower the spicy, powerful hop profile, though it is muted a bit and caramelized malts seem stronger here than in the "regular" version; a subtle bitter orange character grows with warmth.....the body is quite bitter, not surprisingly, but I donít really find any woody character here, at least not the soft textures Iíd associate with oak aging; rather, this is even more harsh and oily-bitter than standard Bastard, potent and juicy but for me at least, too dry and astringent towards the finish to be really enjoyable....eventually the sugars do come out more and it becomes more drinkable, but the feeling is of brown sugar dumped in at the finish, rather than anything really well-balanced and integrated....full body, fairly low carbonation, a bit sticky. Mixed feelings here; I rather wish I hadnít had to buy a 6-pack though perhaps a few months in my cupboard will help a bit. Certainly not a patch on standard Bastard on tap, which is near-divine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
LinusStick (2817) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 18, 2007
I am not a big fan of the whole "Oak" thing and this beer reminded me why. I liked the original so why did they have to do this? The pour was beautiful. Dark brown with a 2 finger lingering head (the 2 finger linger as I pathetically say). The taste was earthy and almost like cough syrup. The bitter finish helped but not enough to pull it out. Bad gargoyle!