overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 581   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Care for some hops with your hops? Before we ferment our 5 Barrel Pale Ale, we strain it through a bed of 'em. Then while it ages, we add even more. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively finish. We like hops.

As we go about refining the recipe for each new beer, we brew up just five barrels at a time. That's exactly how we arrived at this pale ale -- so that's what we named it. Plus, it sounded a lot nicer than Giant Vat Pale Ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
GarrettB (1365) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 19, 2008
Once again O’Dell dishes out the hops to those weak of tongue. Their IPA was mild enough, even for me, and so is this one, though the Barrel Pale Ale does have a slightly different flavor profile. Off-white head, and a basic pale ale bronze color give body to the deep well of flavors. Caramel, peanut butter, honey and a general roastiness give this only slightly hop edged beer a definitively good aroma. Likewise, the flavor, mainly nuttiness, with black pepper and a little caramel keep the general taste alive but pacified, making this O’Dell a deeper, roastier version of the IPA with equal talent for easy but tasty drinking. It’s an O’Dell Renaissance in my beer box!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Gooney (389) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 10, 2008
12 oz bottle - This was a complete surprise to me! Coming from Portland I’ll admit I’m a bit of a beer snob, but this little gem from Ft. Collins, CO just might be my new favorite pale ale! Although, I as an IPA fan the large amount of real flower hops made it very yummy. Please distribute in Oregon!!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
kkearn (1165) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 30, 2008
12oz bottle. Pours light orange amber, with a moderate sized white head. Aroma is clean and a bit subdued; mild citric hops are balanced with caramel. The flavor is fairly sweet at first, but is then joined by grapefruity hops. There are also notes of apricot and some vegetal character on the palate. Long, mildly bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
shanepardue (110) - Raytown, Missouri, USA - JUN 25, 2008
Golden brown body with a white head that doesn’t disintegrate for awhile. Great hoppy flavor throughout. I like O’Dell’s beers quite a bit

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
uhclem (417) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JUN 19, 2008
Pretty mediocre ale all the way around. Apparently RateBeer thinks this deScription is not long enough.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jcwattsrugger (11862) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JUN 14, 2008
12oz bottle -pours a big rich to rocky off white head and hazy gold/amber color. Aroma is sweet caramel/pale-light/medium malt, secondary citrus/floral/spicy hops. Taste is a bit thin pale malt-some caramel, secondary floral/earthy/tea leaves/metallic hops. Much is OK but the detractors show up more, the further I get in. Thanks to chesky-SD via Joe-jwc215 for the trade.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
restless7 (104) - Lenexa, Kansas, USA - JUN 11, 2008
BOTTLE: cold and refreshing, starts with a nice hazy copper color and beige head. Flavor is crisp and not very bitter at all with a mild floral aroma and gentle dry palate at the back of the tongue.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
PsionSaint (57) - Colorado, USA - JUN 8, 2008
A nice pale ale that certainly trends more toward the IPA side of the spectrum. Nice amber color with subtle fruity-ness in the aroma.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dmalone102 (223) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 5, 2008
I realy like this beer. I had it today for the first time in a long time. It is on the darker side of the pale ale spectrum, being a bright red color that is very appealing. There is a great hop bouquet in the aroma and the taste carries those hops with it, and balances them with a rich malt flavor. This is a big beer masquerading as a pale ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
scooterbub (958) - Lander, Wyoming, USA - MAY 16, 2008
Bottle. Pours an orange amber color with a decent, creamy, off white head. Has a nice pine and hops taste and aroma. Reminds me of Redhook IPA too much. Overall it is smooth and very easy to drink, but I’d rather go with something else.