overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 551   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Care for some hops with your hops? Before we ferment our 5 Barrel Pale Ale, we strain it through a bed of 'em. Then while it ages, we add even more. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively finish. We like hops.

As we go about refining the recipe for each new beer, we brew up just five barrels at a time. That's exactly how we arrived at this pale ale -- so that's what we named it. Plus, it sounded a lot nicer than Giant Vat Pale Ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
hepburn82 (143) - SCOTLAND - APR 11, 2007
A decent american IPA. Earthy hops, grapefruit aroma. Malty, and a good bitter finish. A tad harsh perhaps.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
realale420 (399) - west covina, California, USA - APR 10, 2007
12oz bottle (thanks to Indra) poured a hazy copper/orange color with a lasting white head. Aroma was a musty citrus with sweet caramel malts. The flavor was well hopped from begining to end with a good malt balance. Not a bad english pale, but I still like the american style more.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
drjay44 (2828) - Salida, Colorado, USA - APR 9, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2008 Draft,light and with minimal hopping. I cannot believe this is a microbrew as it is barely above an industrial. I will drink it again only to prevent extreme dehydration or if the alternative is a Bud. I have since tasted this again and while I still think it is light I have raised my overall impression somewhat.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
smhncabot (310) - Cabot, Arkansas, USA - APR 3, 2007
pours slightly hazy orange with thin head. aroma skunky pine and citrus hop with some cocoa. taste is dominately citrusy/piney with biscuity malt and tiny hints bittersweet chocolate. finishes moderately bitter. pretty good brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
donovan1983 (61) - Capitol Heights, Maryland, USA - APR 2, 2007
Pours a somewhat cloudy amber, with a small head that fades relatively quick. Citrusy hops dominate the aroma. The flavour is also very citrusy and on the bitter side, with some malt. Not very smooth, it has an interesting mouthfeel that is somewhat "sharp" and definitely caused me to take notice. Malt flavour is more noticable in the finish and aftertaste, although both are dominated by bitterness and a grapefruit-like flavour. Overall pleasant to drink and I enjoyed the flavour. Great for drinking on a warm afternoon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
NewState (2) - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA - MAR 22, 2007 does not count
Bottle. Thin and unassuming. Smells good, but bitterness lingers. Hops are trying to break free, but fade quickly.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ford9719 (371) - Vilseck, GERMANY - FEB 18, 2007
Bottle. Poured a murky golden orange hint color. Aroma of citrus and malt. Taste is kinda chalky. With a semi nice finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ogglethorp (917) - Ohio, USA - FEB 14, 2007
Tap. Pours a hazy blond-amber color, with a medium sized pillowy off white head. Aroma is floral hops, malt. Flavor is basically the same, some bittering hops, caramel malt. Palate is medium bodied, medium carbonation, mildly bitter finish. Decent effort here.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Boutip (4995) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 1, 2007
Bottle courtesy of Beerandblues2: Poured a medium amber with some light cloudiness and a medium slightly off-white foamy head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of dry and bitter hops is dominating. Taste consists of aggressive metallic hops with strong dry bitter finish. Body is slightly above average with some medium carbonation. I don’t know if the bottle was oxidized or if the type of hops use provide the metallic taste but I can’t say that this was a much appreciated experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
iskirwan1 (66) - monument, Colorado, USA - JAN 17, 2007
pours a nice amber with foamy off white head,some what large.aroma of sweet malts with strong hop note in the background.taste is some what prickly not as hoppy as I expected mind you I am some what of a hophead diffenet malt backbone,but some what sweet for a e.p.a.medium lacing.finish is somewhat off malt flavors.overall pretty good but seemed like more of a E.S.B than a e.p.a mind you E.S.B is basically a extra hopped e.p.a.