overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 544   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Care for some hops with your hops? Before we ferment our 5 Barrel Pale Ale, we strain it through a bed of 'em. Then while it ages, we add even more. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively finish. We like hops.

As we go about refining the recipe for each new beer, we brew up just five barrels at a time. That's exactly how we arrived at this pale ale -- so that's what we named it. Plus, it sounded a lot nicer than Giant Vat Pale Ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
iabeerguy (392) - Iowa, USA - AUG 8, 2011
Copper orange pour with a nice white head. Smell is floral and citrusy. Flavor has a mild sweetness and finishes nice and hoppy with a little bitterness at the end. A nice pale ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Gooney (389) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 10, 2008
12 oz bottle - This was a complete surprise to me! Coming from Portland I’ll admit I’m a bit of a beer snob, but this little gem from Ft. Collins, CO just might be my new favorite pale ale! Although, I as an IPA fan the large amount of real flower hops made it very yummy. Please distribute in Oregon!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PhilJackson80 (389) - Oklahoma, USA - SEP 14, 2013
UPDATED: APR 20, 2014 12 oz Bottle. The beer pours to a dark golden color. The aroma was medium grassy hops & bread . The taste was light with a bitter sweet finish. Overall a good Pale Ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
iammarc (385) - Inverness, SCOTLAND - MAR 21, 2012
Bottle. From notes: Pours amber, malty caramac aroma, slight citrus orange. Soft palate, mixed hop bitterness, mild finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Sonicdescent (384) - Donora, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 11, 2009
Had this one at the Pittsburgh RB tasting. Thanks guys. I’ll take this time to express my thanks for all the great stuff we had at the lineup there, as most of you are rating these in the same order that I am, so I won’t repeat myself. This one appears to be over the hill. Smell is a high point with hoppy goodness, but it’s all downhill from there. Appearance and palate are average at best, and the taste is just off, which is a letdown. Full Disclosure: I don’t like my pales to be this spicy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
kuphish (381) - Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA - OCT 15, 2009
Bottle. Pours a clear, orange body with a fine, jiggly, white head. Laces fairly well. Sticky, resinous hop aroma of citrus and flowers. Not as herbal as anticipated from an English PA. Some bready malt underneath the hops. Flavor is of light biscuit, sticky pine and resin and a dash of flowers. Somewhat soapy. Light-medium body, mild carbonation, moderate bitterness and a touch of lingering resin. Overall pretty decent.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
uhclem (378) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JUN 19, 2008
Pretty mediocre ale all the way around. Apparently RateBeer thinks this description is not long enough.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ford9719 (371) - Vilseck, GERMANY - FEB 18, 2007
Bottle. Poured a murky golden orange hint color. Aroma of citrus and malt. Taste is kinda chalky. With a semi nice finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TikiE (368) - Sylva, North Carolina, USA - AUG 20, 2008
Bottled: brought back from out West, probably could have gotten a better on though. Pours gold color that has a white head that disappears into a white lacing. Somewhat bitter in taste with somewhat of an aftertaste of rotten fruit. Didnt really enjoy it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
johnnymusky (368) - Minnesota, USA - FEB 27, 2014
decent english pale ale....pours golden...thin head...light lacing....citrusy ....super hoppy....a little better than average beer.