overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 524   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Care for some hops with your hops? Before we ferment our 5 Barrel Pale Ale, we strain it through a bed of 'em. Then while it ages, we add even more. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively finish. We like hops.

As we go about refining the recipe for each new beer, we brew up just five barrels at a time. That's exactly how we arrived at this pale ale -- so that's what we named it. Plus, it sounded a lot nicer than Giant Vat Pale Ale.

medallaisla (91) - PUERTO RICO - AUG 8, 2012
Gold with thin white head, good lacing. Some biscuit in the taste, but mostly light fruits and a mild hop finish. Such smooth, enjoyable drinking. More of an American pale in my opinion (hop fruitiness, alcohol %, etc.), though the hop finish is reminiscent of more subtle English pales. I would drink this all summer long if I could afford to.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Moonlight77 (10) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 30, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2006 Best Colorado beer Iíve had. Like its says very hoppy and fruity. Very drinkable, I find myself not getting turned off after a few.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
rdenney18 (109) - Lawton, Iowa, USA - JUL 1, 2012
One of my favorite pale ales ever!!! I was pumped to find it available in omaha. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - APR 24, 2008
Pours richly honey colored with a tall, lasting froth. Superb lacing with a full creamy canopy. Aromas of malted biscuits and a pinch of citrus. medium full nectar with good carbonation creating a fine, cotton soft texture. This is an outstanding specimen. Balanced malt to hop ratio brings out a wonderful citrus rind spiced biscuit laden maltiness. The finish is balanced with a lingering mild aspirin burn. Overall: itís balanced and delicious with freshness at itís peak. Theres a very subtle fruitiness that reveals itself as it warms. Delicioso!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Gooney (388) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 10, 2008
12 oz bottle - This was a complete surprise to me! Coming from Portland I’ll admit I’m a bit of a beer snob, but this little gem from Ft. Collins, CO just might be my new favorite pale ale! Although, I as an IPA fan the large amount of real flower hops made it very yummy. Please distribute in Oregon!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
weisinator (67) - USA - SEP 15, 2005
On tap from Wymanís Number Five in Denver: Very hoppy with well-balanced bitterness and malty sweetness.Slight fruity notes. I wouldnít have known this existed if it werenít for the coaster the waitress put down. Iím glad she did. I need to find this in bottles and have them shipped to me in Nebraska.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dailybrews (6) - st louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 1, 2006 does not count
The best pale ale out there. This beer has a light refreshing body as well as enough hops to satisfy the IPA lover. Beautifuly brewed. Four or five pints of 5 Barrel might start a love affair with this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
wesyates (55) - South Carolina, USA - OCT 26, 2013
Yes. Yes. Yes. My fave of my beerísploration so far. Great color, appearance, head, balance, aroma. Huzzah!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
swanmann (589) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - JUL 13, 2006
This is one of my faves from Oídellís. When Iím lookiní for something a little less intense than IPA I reach for one of these.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dmalone102 (223) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 5, 2008
I realy like this beer. I had it today for the first time in a long time. It is on the darker side of the pale ale spectrum, being a bright red color that is very appealing. There is a great hop bouquet in the aroma and the taste carries those hops with it, and balances them with a rich malt flavor. This is a big beer masquerading as a pale ale.