overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 522   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Care for some hops with your hops? Before we ferment our 5 Barrel Pale Ale, we strain it through a bed of 'em. Then while it ages, we add even more. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively finish. We like hops.

As we go about refining the recipe for each new beer, we brew up just five barrels at a time. That's exactly how we arrived at this pale ale -- so that's what we named it. Plus, it sounded a lot nicer than Giant Vat Pale Ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
malrubius (1639) - Willowick, Ohio, USA - NOV 25, 2009
12 ounce bottle in pint glass. Golden with lasting flat head and lace. Mild toasty honey orange aroma. Mild honey citrus fruit with medium assertive very dry citrus hop finish. Very clean. Sessionable. Perfect mouthfeel for style. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tonboc (6) - Golden, Colorado, USA - MAY 14, 2010 does not count
12oz Btl. Amber Orange, slight head and spotty lacing. sl, lower carb. Very nice floral aroma w some citrus plus a nice piney character. Malt comes thru w sweetness and nuttiness. Bitterness mellows toward the end with sweet-dry finish. Sl lingering piney after bitter begs for another sip. Somewhat diff than other PAs. Very nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DanielBrown (3697) - Birmingham (via Leicester), West Midlands, ENGLAND - JUN 4, 2011
Bottle from Stirchley Wines and Spirits, Birmingham. Delicious sweet, lychee aroma and the same fruity notes from the hops when they run across my tastebuds. Gentle, spritzy flavour, but fully formed. Light, crisp, with an aftertaste and overall impression which is very tasty, without ever being massive. I’m not sure what makes this an EPA rather than APA, as I immediately thought it was a typical example of the latter. Liked it. Easy to drink.

bsp77 (724) - Minnesota, USA - SEP 6, 2011
Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint. Appearance: Clear amber-gold with decent cream colored head and nice lacing for an EPA. Aroma: Semi-sweet caramel, tea, spicy and citric hops. Taste: Nicely balanced between malts and hops. The malts are loaded with caramel, tea and a mild earthiness, while the hops are fresh and spicy with twinge of citrus. Hoppier than a typical EPA, but it does not drown out the malts. Palate: Moderate carbonation, medium body, nice drying finish. More crisp than a typical EPA but it suits the beer well. Overall: One of the better English Pale Ales I have had, with a great balance, slightly ramped-up hops, and a nice feel overall.

TheJestersBeer (2032) - SWEDEN - JUN 3, 2012
355ml bottle. Pours a deep gold, with a white head. Hoppy, floral aroma, caramel, malt, spruce, apricot, grapefruit peel. Dry, medium body and bitterness, balanced CO2. Hoppy, spicy taste, spruce, apricot, caramel, malt, slightly yeasty, well balanced and refreshing. (2012-05-25)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Squizzle (135) - Idaho, USA - JAN 12, 2013
Got saved from my own crap attitudr and hauled off to Harry’s by my lady and this was the first beer I had. Totally dug it, really smooth and drinkable. Turned my frown upside dowm.

Mortlach (962) - Rome, ITALY - FEB 23, 2013
18/0272013 Brasserie 4:20 (tap). Ambrata, viva, limpidissima, schiuma bianca morbida abbastanza abbondante e persistente. Al naso sentori di malto, caramello, lieviti, pane, leggero floreale e terroso. In bocca č morbida, maltata, dolciastra, moderatamente amara nel finale, di grande equilibrio e straordinaria facilitŕ di beva. Corpo medio, carbonazione corretta. Session beer da bere a litri!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
brewskilover85 (17) - Greeley, Colorado, USA - MAY 31, 2014
Typical Odell ale. Great color has a nice smell but the taste is where its at. Great beer that keeps you wanting more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - APR 27, 2006
Odell’s makes some of my favorite beers. There are a few breweries who never disappoint. Odells has been one of those for me.Nice head out of the bottle. Sweet, golden color, faint hop/malt tastes. Very refreshing beer. Very good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
glkaiser (1214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 8, 2006
On tap at their tasting room. This was my favorite of their beers I think... the hops definitely stand out in taste and aroma. A bit thin. The bitterness comes out towards the end.