overall

RATINGS: 728   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Richer than most amber ales, 90 Shilling is smooth & deeply satisfying, with a crisp, clean Colorado taste. The name comes from the old Scottish method of naming a brewery's beer, based on original gravity and resulting tax rating.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
swanmann (604) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 5, 2006
Bottle poured clear, mahogany red, with light tan, half-inch of pearly big bubbles. Smells lightly of esthers and hops. Balanced woods and caramel came out as it warmed. Lightly sweet, acidic, and syrupy as it warmed. Great balance of flavors between scotch, pale, and english dry ale styles.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ph0tik (91) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 3, 2006
As some other people have pointed out, this should really be categorized as an amber rather than a scotch ale. Very smooth beer. Good malty flavoring with a slight sweet finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
iowaherkeye (2691) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - OCT 3, 2006
12oz, on the side it says 101406, which I am assuming is the Best by date. Pours a reddish brown with a fading one finger beige head. Aroma has some chocolate and caramel, light peated malt and nuts. I may or may not have gotten a little bit of grassy hops. Flavors are pretty much the same, except I got a teeny bit of cardboard at the beginning. Very little bitterness with a slightly chalky finish. Thin bodied and mod-high carbonation. I like Scottish ales, but this wasn’t too grand.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
joergen (20861) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - OCT 1, 2006
Bottle at Stockholm Beerfestival. Clear orange red coloured with an off white head. Aroma of malts, fruits and caramel. Flavour of malts, fruits, caramel and hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
murawski (158) - USA - AUG 20, 2006
This beer is exactly as advertised -- "an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale." I really enjoyed this ale, with a mild aroma, smooth malty flavor, and a nice mouthfeel (not too watery, like most amber ales). Overall, I would recommend this. I drank this one while unpacking our stuff after we moved into our first house, and it really hit the spot.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ilikestuff (224) - Irving, Texas, USA - AUG 14, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 23, 2007 This is my favorite beer to drink on tap when I am in Fo Co. Incredibly smooth character with a nice malty flavor. Pours a nice brown color with a decent off white head. Low hop profile leads to a easy to drink great tasting brew. Do yourself a favor and check out this brew, my favorite by Odell.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
dyetube (1182) - McKinney, Texas, USA - AUG 13, 2006
This beer pours a dep reddish amber color with a small tan head that dissaptes leaving a little lacing on the sides. Interesting smell! malty almost oil like smell. Not much on the hop side when you taste it. I expected a little more hopiness and bite to it. Kinda dissapointed me as I just drank a 5 barrel ale from odell. But, this is a farily decent beer. Cheers!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jmcguire1969 (161) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - AUG 13, 2006
This reminds me of Fat Tire but is much better. Malty feel early on and a fruity finish gives this a better feel that the NB version. The Odell beers have a very distinctive but common (accross the styles) taste...must be the hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mstockton (225) - Frankfurt, GERMANY - AUG 7, 2006
Had on draft at Jax in Denver. A dark amber color...not opaque. Some great malty flavor. Not hoppy. Not much head. Really nice drinking beer. My first Odell’s and I was impressed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
gws57 (1274) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - AUG 3, 2006
Bottled, thanks Slothgar! Dark brown pour with a thin white head, candy and bread in the nose, sweet maltiness throughout. Nice mouthfeel. Good work!