Odell Woodcut No. 05 Oak-Aged Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 92   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
A Quadruple Ale brewed with a blend of Belgian ale yeast and our house ale yeast. Woodcut No. 5 presents a rich, spicy, dried fruit essence and a deep auburn color. Aggressive vanilla notes from the new American oak compliments the Special B malt with hints of cherry, raison and plumb on the palate. Each Woodcut offering is truly limited edition beer with a unique flavor that comes from select hops, fine malted barley, and our brewersí careful aging process. Enjoy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
AmEricanbrew (6377) - Same Trailer, Different Park, Louisiana, USA - AUG 10, 2012
Clear copper red color with wispy ivory head. Nice raison, dark fruit, caramel, toffee, sweet spice aromas. Full bodied with little co2. Rich dark raison, sweet spicy flavors with spicy toffee, caramel, dates, figs--wish it had more carbonation

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SudsMcDuff (6932) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - AUG 4, 2012
Just a sec. Hey, is there a Butts here? A Seymour Butts? Hey, everybody, I wanna Seymour Butts! Wait a minute... Listen, you little scum-sucking pus-bucket! When I get my hands on you, Iím gonna pull out your eyeballs with a corkscrew!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JPDurden24 (1661) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - AUG 1, 2012
Dark orange/amber pour, sweet and yeasty with some fruity flavors. Nothing special here.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jcartamdg (2484) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2012
Pours a light amber. Aroma of really sweet malts. Taste follows, crazy sweet. Belgian yeast. Not great not bad ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
crosamich (433) - Twin Falls, Idaho, USA - JUL 26, 2012
Opens with a big pop. Thck, pillowy tan head. Aroma starts out vanilla, wood, sherry and cardboard. This isnít nearly as bad as some of these ratings say. The quad characteristics are pretty muted compard to the barrel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
kevinator (1433) - The Colony, Texas, USA - JUL 4, 2012
I tried this with a year on it. Contrary to some of the other reviews, I really enjoyed this. I found it at near the same level as the others in the Woodcut series. I could smell fruit and alcohol before tasting. The same could be said of the taste with cherry standing out a little. The alcohol presence was there and walking a fine line of taking over the beer. I took my time with this one and didnít grow tired of it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
drfabulous (4917) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - JUN 18, 2012
750 thanks to Jarrett. Pours a muddy brown and no head. I want to say that waiting a year on this - since I got it about a year ago - mattered. But all the reviews here confirm that this beer is a mess. Sherry and caramel to the extreme. Unpleasant body. Astringent taste. Huge let down from a brewery I really like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jcwattsrugger (11586) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JUN 13, 2012
@markwise Birthday-palooza-a-go-go Gathering-thanks kiefdog-750 bottle-pours brown with a thin light tan head. Aroma is medium malt-caramel, some wood. Taste is medium malt-caramel, some wood, some dark fruit.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
burg326 (4726) - Florida, USA - JUN 11, 2012
750ml bottle corked and caged, poured a brown color, aromas of caramel, toffee, light dark fruits, and some oak. Flavors are the same as aromas, shared at Markwiseís bday bash.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
FURLYSURIOUS (263) - Orono, Minnesota, USA - JUN 2, 2012
So at first I thought Iíd better just pass on reviewing this one because I couldnít even finish a whole glass. But then I thought to myself that these reviews are what I base some of my beer purchases on. So, in an effort to dissuade others from making the same mistake I did, here is a very brief review: Pours a dirty ruby gold. The head is reminiscent of that of an expired wheat beer. Lasts a few seconds and then disappears entirely. No lacing of course. No beading. This beer is completely dead for no good reason. Dirty caramel, merlot, cardboard, vinegar, tobacco, burnt sugar. More of the same. Rotten figs. Cigarette butts. I canít even assess the mouthfeel... thin? The flavors that linger destroy any redeeming qualities that might be hidden in this beer. First and foremost, I normally LOVE Odell. And I wish I loved this beer because now I have two more in the cellar. But, Iím very sad to say that this beer sucks ass. It tastes like itís been sitting uncorked in my truck ever since its release (11 months ago). Donít buy this beer. Even if itís on clearance at your bottle shop... it is an utter waste of money. Odell - you owe me one.