overall

RATINGS: 502   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Dark, rich and smoky…this classic porter is brewed with 63% German smoked malt and makes a perfect after dinner (or anytime) sipper for those who love a "bigger" beer. Winner of the Gold Medal in the 2004 Great American Beer Festival® for best Smoked Beer in America!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2005
This poured almost black with a small tan head. The aroma was roasted coffee, bitter chocolate, and smoke. The smoke was okay in the nose. This was medium bodied and a little on the thin, watery side. The flavor is where the smoke killed it for me. Don’t care for beers with too much smokey flavor. Smoked porter? Give me the Stone.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 21, 2005
Yup, its a porter. Not as much smoke. Thats a good thing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ernest (6649) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - FEB 17, 2005
Head is initially average sized, frothy, brown, mostly lasting. Body is dark brown to black (not opaque), bottle conditioned. Aroma is moderately malty (roasted grain, dark chocolate), with a strong note of smoke. Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly acidic, moderately bitter. Light to medium body, watery texture, lively carbonation. Pretty good, but on the simple/straightforward side (which would probably explain its strong showing at GABF...this plays it real safe). Rather watery and thin, though, which hurts the mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCW (1277) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 7, 2005
Well made smoked porter. Dark brown color, opaque with a moderate tan head. Aroma is malty sweet carmel and chocolate with a moderate dose of smoke. Sometimes smoke can over welm me but this didn’t, I thought it was pleasant. Body slighty sticky. Slightly sweet finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - FEB 2, 2005
Dark ruby brown. Not much aroma. Taste is subdued until finish when a dark burnt smokiness comes in. So it was nice, but could really use some taste up front.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
WabashMan (1017) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - JAN 31, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2007 This one was a little hyped up at the store due to the GABF medal for smoked beers...honestly, I think they made a mistake. I’ll judge this beer on two fronts: as a porter and as a smoked beer. First, solely on porter characteristics this beer is fairly weak. It’s not BAD, mind you, but it’s probably the easiest drinking porter I’ve ever tasted and lacks a lot of the heavier flavors that a lot of good porters have. As a smoked beer, the smoke flavors are VERY minute. They really can’t hold a candle to Aecht Schlenkerla or other smoked beers. Again, I liked this beer, but I don’t think it’s a standout among the styles it represents.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - JAN 26, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 19, 2009 22oz bottle. 52°. NB Worthy glass. Poured dark chocolate brown, alomst black with an initially good sized (1/2") head that was quick to depart leaving a ring around the glass. Nose is smoked ham with underlying wiffs of roasted malt and hints of chocolate covered citrus peels. Taste is smoked ham with sweet, roasted malt. There is a slight taste of mocha. There is a good underlying sweetness that seems to offset the smoke flavor. The finish is sweet and smokey. Mouthfeel is pretty decent. This is my first smoked beer, so I write this without a solid base of knowledge on the subject. I think that the beer captures the smoke flavor, but it seems like the porter is just not able to keep up with it. This is a solid beer and after I rate the Stones Smoked Porter and the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen, I’ll take a look back at this and adjust my score, if warranted.

Additional notes. Since this is available locally in six packs, at an affordable price, it tends to be the smoked beer I reach for most often. Looking back on my rating, I think I described the beer well, but I have more of an appreciation for the style now. This beer has a wonderful smoke aroma and flavor and is well balanced with the sweet porter lurking underneath. (3.2 to 3.7)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Frank (3290) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 24, 2005
I gotta say. I definitely have a strange relationship with assertively smoked beer. On one hand, I do enjoy the smoked flavor. On the other, I have a slight tendency to make me want to retch after a few sips. So it’s beer that tastes good but is highly undrinkable. You could see how this would lead me to have some difficulty rating the stuff.

This pours a nice, deep brown color with almost no head even when initially poured. The nose, if you couldn’t guess by my preamble to this rating, is a strong salty smokiness. Once you become acclimated to it, you can sense a decent chocolaty porter underneath. Still, this comes across to me as more smoked than it is porter. And it’s major flaw is just that. It has the smoke to satisfy those who enjoy that flavor but very little porter for those who like beer. The flavor doesn’t offer any surprises aside from a touch of hop flavor and the mouthfeel is somewhat lifeless but not unpleasant. Definitely a smoked beer I can drink a whole glass of so it’s got that going for it.

If you’re interested in cooking, try adding a litle bit of this to a hardy stew. Quite tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JAN 18, 2005
A deep brown w/ a lightly tanned head. Hugely smoky in the nose. Med. bodied. This tastes like liking a BBQ. Over the top smokiness w/ a hint of chocolate. Not much else. This would be great for marinating.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JAN 16, 2005
22oz bottle....I’m not a smoked beer freak, but this one had a dominant fried bacon nose that was yummy. The beer let down easier than that, revealing a lightish porter with some smoke highlights. Mellow yet robust if that makes any sense, I thought it was a good porter, with a nice smokey presence. I’m all for it, certainly didn’t bull me over like some smoked beers can, but it was still bold. I think it struck a nice balance.