Oggis 4.4-40 IPA
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.57/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 23, 2010
A self-styled IPA, he poured rich ambers and oranges with an impressive depth that made all passing light struggle its way through. Very little head but understandable for a growler fill. A few swirls on the other hand produce an impressive head of pithy orange while his nose steps forward. Bright and fruity, orange, apple, tangerines, and layers of melba crunch tease and delight. Peach skins and coconut shavings flitter on by even as freshly mowed green grass meets key lime for a sweet tropical kiss. Lemon zest splashes in the back and I can wait no longer. His mouthfeel is surprisingly thin given the boisterous nature of his nose while his palate is a touch resinous. The top of my mouth dries with green grass and sawdust which is just fine by me. This way I can revel easier in the lemon and key lime skin which are brightening my day with enthusiastic zip and zest. A humble finish does nothing to hide the further addition of pith, pine needles, and bark in the back of my throat. A few more swallows and the peaches, apples, tangerines, and coconut which dominated his nose provide a soft blanket of fruity delights upon which his dominantly dry palate rests. Did I mention his drinkability? It’s a good thing there is more 4.4-40 in the growler because my taster is unfortunately empty and I would like some more pleaseandthankyou.

Mighty tasty, I enjoyed how the palate initially took a different path than the one his nose had laid out. They eventually met further on down the tasting road to complete my eclectic tasting session. I doubt the next beer will be named by a RateBeerian, but I have a feeling it’ll be tasty nonetheless. At least, I hope so.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
smith4498 (3025) - Miami, Florida, USA - DEC 31, 2009
Growler shared by hopscotch from mashmaster @ hopscotch’s VBN-DCTD. Pours clear orangish color with white head. Pine hops aroma with some toasted bread malts. Flavor is bitter pine hops with some grapefruit and lightly sweet malts. Medium body with moderate carbonation and a resinous mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hopscotch (9162) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - DEC 28, 2009
Growler… Hazy amber/orange ale with a small, creamy, white head. The nose is of citrus hops, toffee and butterscotch. Medium-bodied with lively carbonation. The flavor is crisp pine and grapefruit bitterness harmonizing with toasted malt sweetness. Bittersweet, toffee and grapefruit finish. Growler courtesy of mashmaster!