overall

RATINGS: 648   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
Another, after Okocim Wheat, koneserski variant in the family Okocim, which promises exceptional taste and aesthetic experiences. By combining several types of malt, including Munich, caramel and roasted, and two month aging period okocimski Porter reached a unique dark color and a deep, noble taste, seasoned with hints of cedar.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - AUG 7, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2004 Pours like Guinness but with bigger bubbles; head pretty stable but airy. Aroma of port (very strong) and chocolate. Really sweet and syrupy, and one of the most wine-like beers I've ever had. Like very dark, sweet, malted port; too much I'd say -- not enough hop bitterness to balance the thick molasses consistency and flavor. Still well worth a try, but I don't think I'll get it again soon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - JUL 25, 2002
Smack dab in the middle of Detroit, MI, there is a little island of all-things Eastern European; this place is called Hamtramck (pronounced Ham-tram-ick). Filled with Polish Restaurants and Ukranian Credit Uniouns, Okocim Porter runneth over in plenty. I tried this brew recipe while eating a traditional Polish meal. Very chewy and rich ... this isn’t like the porter that pappy used to sip. The alcohol is noticable, but I wouldn’t describe it as overwhelming ... more warming. This is a great beer and is a nice change from British derived porters.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
krisfleet (130) - Sharon, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 23, 2002
This beer smelled good. It had an extremely clear flavor for a stout. It was crisp and strong. A lot of different flavors goiung on here. I may have to re-rate this beer when I am not as wasted. I liked it though.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - JUL 21, 2002
Too much alcohol flavor for a porter. The alcohol completely dominated the aroma and the taste. I didn’t care for this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 1, 2002
A very good doppelbock, er, I mean, porter from Okocim. It’s certainly a very ’bocky’ porter, and from the comments of some experienced raters, is somewhat representative of the Baltic porter style. If, as Philly beer2112 says, this is bottom-fermented, doesn’t that make this a lager? I thought it was indeed sweet, but not overly so as the very strong malts came through to balance everything out well. A good PorterBock.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
fraternie (814) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 24, 2002
IMHO, this is not nearly as bad, nor nearly as good, as some of the more experienced raters believe that it is. The main problem here is that the flavor is not even in Zyweic’s league..slight chocolate malt but not complexity of other flavors, and the initial malt flavor quickly disappears. However, the finish, albeit amazingly and horrifically dry, is not out of balance. For an abv over 8%, this is impressively drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Aubrey (3430) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - MAY 22, 2002
Fruity and alcoholic nose demands your attention from the beginning... a little teasing, as the beer was sweeter than I expected. A lot of dark fruit flavors swirling around that I liked: a little prune and plum, but mostly raisin. Warming alcohol in the finish; made the blood rush to the cheeks. A little twangy-sourness thing going on, which made my mouth shrivel a little - in a good way, of course. A little sweet spiciness popped up the olfactory passage. Don’t really have too many beers to compare to this (in this sub-style), so it’s hard to rate. All I know is, it’s not my ideal porter.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 18, 2002
My first experience with the Baltic porter style, and it definitely takes some getting used to. After my first couple of sips, I was sure I wouldn’t finish the bottle; but, mysteriously, the flavor grew on me. It helped that the beer warmed up; this is *much* better at room temperature than it is refrigerated! Update: I have to knock this beer down a few points because somehow, the memory of it just isn’t appealing; I really have no desire to drink another bottle.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 2, 2002
Well it ain’t Zywiec thats for sure. Nice looking but a weird vegetable/malt aroma. For some reason i bought this thinking it was Oakes approved. OH wait, that was MJ I apologize to Oakes for ever confusing the two.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Tom Servo (424) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - APR 21, 2002
Not good at all. Way too bitter, and a flavoring like tar.