overall

RATINGS: 52   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.84   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
The world knows no finer! Little Herman the German grew up watching his Opa and Omi brew beer in their single story stone-cottage located in Hamburg, Germany. What started as a hobby soon turned into a local phenomenon after neighbors and friends tasted their charming concoction. As demand increased, a family promise was made to never let money or admiration get in the way of the rich beer taste. Herman’s Opa and Omi got older, as people do, and could no longer keep up with the demand for their easy drinking lager. Eventually Herman the German took over the family business and kept his Opa and Omi’s life-long promise by sharing his family’s original recipe with the world at an affordable price

timothywpeck (1) - Mcveytown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 11, 2003 does not count
sarisfying, crisp character, very good value for a quality lager, good job on a great beer

horresn (1) - Hell, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 3, 2007 does not count
Old German reminds me of my homeland, where we would spend hours upon hours tending the hops and yeast to create the greatest brew of all the land. The Deucheland anthem rings true to my heart, as I pound this beer this frugal night!!!

fulton22 (1) - USA - APR 1, 2008 does not count
You can buy me in a bar, distributor, or diner...you know my motto. "The World Knows No Finer"

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
mrpeanut (17) - Latrobe, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 4, 2003
Better than I was expecting. For the price and for the taste, a must have for the college student. beats BEAST.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
cheap (3802) - Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 19, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 6, 2008 When I was twenty something , in 1977 or so, we used to drink cases of this stuff. Good beer at a decent price. How many pale yellow lager American brews can you think of that fit those specs and are not currently owned by BMC? After 20 years I bought another case. So, I rate as I drink. I am proud to be a drinker of Pgh Brewing beers, support your local breweries! Don’t serve this cold, it needs to be drank at about 50 degrees to appreciate its full flavor. How about the name ‘Old German’! Quite an attitude toward the German beers. 12 oz artistic white can with the statement that ‘the world knows no finer’ - how confident and nifty. When you pop the lid you get a sour citrus wiff. Into the glass it turns more into a light yeasty beer aroma. Ubiquitous pale yellow lager colors with steady streams of mixed medium and small quickly rising bubbles, champagne in nature. Head is thin white and clean. The initial taste is pilsner in flavor. It is very well behaved and gentlemanlike in it’s etiquette. An above average tasting lager, clean and fresh. Not much personality, it is more kind and refined than those bitter beers. This is one of Pgh Brewing’s better entries. It lacks the metal-ness so often found in most Iron City beers. Now that I’ve rated a few beers, I don’t think I would even think of this as a Pgh Brewing drink, it is less offensive. The finish is non-assuming and enjoyable, it seems to have the qualities of a light brew. Brilliant, this is the United States answer to those pale yellow German lagers. In Pittsburgh, we can do it better, or at least just as good, at a lower price. Overall, a very above average German style lager that is almost as smooth as many wit biers! I am very surprised of the smoothness! I can’t believe I was a nullifidian before drinking this again after so long! After looking at the rest of these ratings, I’m curious if I just got a good batch or something. I’ll have to get another case in a few months and try again as to confirm my good findings.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
BrewDad (4632) - Olympia, USA - DEC 11, 2008
12oz Can – 99 Bottles – Federal Way, WA – A lager for sure had some decent malt flavor with a dry finish this was a good beer for after working on the car. Glad I got to try it. Clear as a bell light flavored this was a Pale lager for sure.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
steview (1012) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 1, 2009
the experience is out of the can not the actual flavor per say: grainy, creamy, and eggy--decent... BUT I like it ;o)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
nike (889) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 26, 2012
oh yeah, Iron City’s cheap version. Actually, can you get a better tasting cheap beer for this price and taste. Better than most american macros, an old favorite here in the burgh.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BeefPocoroba (49) - Oregon, USA - MAY 10, 2009
Better than most domestics. I appreciate that they have still kept this beer going from the Old Cumberland brewery days.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
pjcoupe (105) - Perryton, Texas, USA - JUL 27, 2003
Not much aroma nice golden color,head quickly disappears, absolutely no lace, very drinkable somewhat citris tasting on some days tinny on others good tang on first bite with a cooling that lingers on the throat and palate kind of pleasant aftertaste that reminds you of a Heiny-kin or a Pilsner Urquell without the heavy almost skunky hoppiness of those two brews.