overall

RATINGS: 2124   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep burgundy color with a big, fluffy head. Complex fruit aromas with a layered sweetness (honey, then caramel, then toffee) with a hint of licorice and chocolate. A big, rich, abbey-style ale that dries out nicely on the finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
GiddyBoy (117) - USA - JAN 23, 2003
OK this scared me. I underdstood by reading the bottle that it was based on Burgundy wine, but the aroma and flavor were quite overwhelming for me. In fact, what shocked me most was the fact that it actually burned my lips. I guess this is just not a beer for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 13, 2003
A sweet, wine-like beer, that has esters of banana. Honey is also present in the flavor. Not bad - very different. A somewhat sour finish was present in my beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
notalush (4959) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 13, 2003
Deep red to ruby color, but lacking much of a head. This has a very raisin and brown sugar aroma and a malty, fruity, spicy (even peppery) taste to it. Plums and grapes make their presense known as well. Crisp, tart, slightly dry finish. A very pleasant belgian ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Suttree (5224) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 13, 2003
Dark mahogany color, and a friut aroma. Tastes of raisins, plums, bananas, and some roastyness. Long, dry finish. Hides the alcohol taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - JAN 10, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2003 12 oz. This is unbelievable. Aroma of fruit candy, strawberries, bananas, pear. COmplex flavor with lots of berries and banana and a good deal of alcohol. Dries out nicely and finishes long. Lacks the creamy palate of the great trappists, but otherwise superb beer. I am certain I will buy this again. Update: Indeed, I have, and on several occasions. I notice a sour snap to the beer that I'm not entirely happy about, but I think on the other hand that the beer is one of the best looking I've seen--holds its thick head throughout the entire glass.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JAN 9, 2003
Initially, the aroma was amazing, blossoming with fruit and honey. Poured with no head which was weird. Could have had a more compelx taste. The bottle I had was young. I would like to try an older one (with more developed malts?).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
spydog (75) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - JAN 7, 2003
Fruity nose. Toffee start, followed by a fruity middle that was too much for me. End was slightly bitter with a strong alcholic bite. Probably won"t be a repeat offender on this one. I"ll revisit after trying more belgians. Thanks for the beer bbooth

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - JAN 6, 2003
Dark ruby hue with an excellent yeast, fruity, spicy aroma. No doubt a good amount of aromatic Belgian malts used. Lots of banana in the nose. Great flavor that matches up to the aroma, but slightly watery. Lots of fruit. It is difficult to replicate true Belgian beer in USA I believe. Great effort!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Discofish (152) - USA - JAN 1, 2003
Nose of caramel, tates like caramel. Sweet tasting with a slightly bitter finish. Doesn’t really taste like any of the belgian strong ales I’ve had, but a good beer none the less.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - DEC 28, 2002
Nice frothy tan head. I noticed a bubble gum flavor in this one. Warm tasting with little alcohol taste. A great carbonation level.