overall

RATINGS: 2078   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep burgundy color with a big, fluffy head. Complex fruit aromas with a layered sweetness (honey, then caramel, then toffee) with a hint of licorice and chocolate. A big, rich, abbey-style ale that dries out nicely on the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - MAR 6, 2002
Sweet, apple fruity aroma. Dark copper/ruby appearance with a quickly diminishing off white head. Pear, apple, other sweet and slight alcohol flavors. Very complex flavors which I’m having a hard time pinpointing, but I don’t believe its licorice or chocolate as mentioned in the commerical description. I guess that’s the Belgian ’style’ that I’m sensing. Bit of a ’medicine’ like taste also. Light to medium body with carbonation levels expected in a Belgian.

unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - MAR 2, 2002
Good stuff! Wonderful fruity aroma, like apples aged with their peel. The color is so nice, translucent brown and red. The taste is complex and begs to be sampled over and over. The commercial description does a pretty good job: fruit again, and a candy-like sweetness. The alcohol warms nicely on the way down too. I sure wish I had bought another bottle of this one! I REALLY like this brewery! Belgian, Belgian-style who cares? It’s good and I will buy it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Drinkingdan (371) - East Norriton, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 28, 2002
Nice balance for an american belgian ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
mogo (38) - California, USA - FEB 23, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2003 A very good effort at a Belgian look and flavor. Sweet and refreshing, pours beautifully, but I agree that it has an alcoholic finish that feels stonger than 8.5%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kilgore41599 (98) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 19, 2002
A good brew, although I prefer Hennepin.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - FEB 18, 2002
A rich burgundy color and creamy head with the aroma of fruit laced with ’licorice’?. Yep, just a hint. Nicely rounded with a balanced finish. Very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
darkvibe (68) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 4, 2002
I think this is not as good as the others from Ommegang. But tasting it at the brewery tour makes it that much better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - FEB 3, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 7, 2003 Rerate: So I just bumped Hennepin up and I find I really have to knock this one down, to be fair. It has an excessive molasses action that gets old if you drink it through a marathon pickle canning session. Original rate 2/3/02: 4.2 I really like this - I was drinking Turbo Dog at a party and it was starting to wear thin on me and suddenly, there was Ommegang, in big red wine glasses, a strong malt infused with nicely mulled cider, it tastes like, and a fine feel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
omhper (19187) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - JAN 26, 2002
Burgundy. Malty, soft, complex, vinuous, late bitterness. Feels really Belgian.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Merc (313) - Pullman, Washington, USA - JAN 26, 2002
So I didn’t drink it out of a wide mouth stem glass per the bottle’s suggestion, but I was very impressed, even from my pint glass. Slightly fruity, but definately in an enhancing way. The dry finish didn’t linger too long. Beautiful beer, nice full palate.