overall

RATINGS: 2101   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep burgundy color with a big, fluffy head. Complex fruit aromas with a layered sweetness (honey, then caramel, then toffee) with a hint of licorice and chocolate. A big, rich, abbey-style ale that dries out nicely on the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - FEB 3, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 7, 2003 Rerate: So I just bumped Hennepin up and I find I really have to knock this one down, to be fair. It has an excessive molasses action that gets old if you drink it through a marathon pickle canning session. Original rate 2/3/02: 4.2 I really like this - I was drinking Turbo Dog at a party and it was starting to wear thin on me and suddenly, there was Ommegang, in big red wine glasses, a strong malt infused with nicely mulled cider, it tastes like, and a fine feel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
omhper (19380) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - JAN 26, 2002
Burgundy. Malty, soft, complex, vinuous, late bitterness. Feels really Belgian.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Merc (313) - Pullman, Washington, USA - JAN 26, 2002
So I didn’t drink it out of a wide mouth stem glass per the bottle’s suggestion, but I was very impressed, even from my pint glass. Slightly fruity, but definately in an enhancing way. The dry finish didn’t linger too long. Beautiful beer, nice full palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gregory (357) - Pullman, Washington, USA - JAN 26, 2002
Full beige head, aroma strong with a hint of banana (which I don’t like) Nice full flavor pleasantly balanced, short dry finish. Despite the fruitiness, I still find this beer to be outstanding

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JAN 23, 2002
This beer is chocolate brown in color w/ a light foamy head. The taste is sweet yet tart w/ a very clean finish. A very unique beer, well worth the price.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JAN 14, 2002
A world class beer. Warming and best at room temp. Man can a bottle of this get you tipsy. That being said it needs more abv and body,... but I still love it. I hope my aunt gets me another eight bottles of this stuff next Christmas!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Aurelius (4178) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 11, 2002
One of the finest glasses of American beer that I’ve ever had. Bronze ale with a ruddy foam head. Inviting malty, peppery aroma. Malted ale flavor with tart plum/peach/cherry fruit middle and pepper-alcohol finish. Palate was very good, but missed the 5 rating slightly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MOboy (505) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - JAN 9, 2002
Nice banana aroma with a thick creamy head that just took over the thistle glass. Wonderful amber colour and a very fruit like (banana?) taste. Smooth yet assertive mouthfeel. I thought this was a wonderful American interpritation of a belgian strong ale, yet at the same time I think this is it’s flaw.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
garv (24) - dalton, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 2, 2002
Worthy of the Belgian style presentation. Certainly more than 1/2 the Belgian beer for 1/2 the Belgian price.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
NYDennis (64) - Port Jefferson Station, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2001
Enjoyed the liquorice taste. The Belgian candy sugar taste adds to the flavor. I have since copied a receipe like this and made one that tastes similar. Hard to find this beer.