overall

RATINGS: 2121   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep burgundy color with a big, fluffy head. Complex fruit aromas with a layered sweetness (honey, then caramel, then toffee) with a hint of licorice and chocolate. A big, rich, abbey-style ale that dries out nicely on the finish.

Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 5, 2002
Wow! Overwhelmingly rich, which I really like; earthy, chocolatey, vinous, sweet. Hops more discernible than is usual for a Belgian, but this was no problem at all. There was some oxidization, but it was the beneficial, vintage Port or Sherry kind. I had this as my Fourth of July celebratory beer, and it stands as a testament to the skill of America’s craft brewers. I cannot do less than give it a perfect score.

BtownBrewer (91) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 24, 2003
I never thought I would like a belgian strong ale this much, but I LOVED this beer. It smelled like a freshly opened package of liquid malt extract, but with a slight tang. Dark ruby red color, thick fluffy caramel head, and a sweet smooth malty flavor. I've never given a 5.0 rating to a beer here before, but this one surely deserves it.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 13, 2004
If anyone stuck a shiv to my ribs and make me squeal out my one and only favorite beer, I'd yelp the name "Ommegang!" (Actually, it would probably sound more like "Ommegod, this guy's killing me, somebody HELP!", but that's getting off track..) Why? 1. It demonstates best my personal belief that the best beer in the world is coming out of American craftbrewers, and the greatest brewing nation, for that reason, is the good ol' U.S.A. If you have a friend who is an import beer snob, loves Belgians, but gives micros the air, let them try this blindfolded and watch 'em eat crow! 2. It tastes so good! Color is dark amber to a rich, rustic brown. Hue of the head leans toward a dark orange, and is mighty and boisterous--I can hear it across the room! Aroma makes itself known from far off, too. It's utterly luxurious: toffee, chocolate, plums, grapes, dark fruit, leather, tobacco, flowers, sugar and spice and everything nice! A thick, musky, full aroma. On the lips and over the tongue, it's smooth, mellow, and extremely flavorful. Warming, deliciously hopped, tingly and enticing. Goes down so nice, and makes you feel good all the way. Everything I ask for in beer, and more!

danman (1) - USA - OCT 3, 2007 does not count
This ale sets a high standard for Belgian style brewing. It has an intense and dark taste with hints spice.

JVRiggs (1) - USA - JUL 14, 2009 does not count
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BEER! By far my favorite beer ever. So full of flavor and sooo smooth!!!!

jgauquie (33) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - JUL 10, 2010
I will spare the description and will get to the point! This Abbey punches you in the face right after it gives you a hug that says, ’"Here, I got you this puppy?" It’s like listening to Al Green then Metallica then Kenny G at the end.....nighty night as you start sucking your thumb like a baby!!! WARNING! This brew may make you give away your significant other and make you think you hit the LOTTO! Please drink responsibly and give your friend one!!

BeerBoy1983 (1) - Florida, USA - JUN 18, 2012 does not count
My favorite beer ever! But at times a but difficult to find locally. Perfect beer for the fall and winter. Slightly sweet and slightly bitter but that is what makes this Abbey perfect! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Thomcann (6) - Selden, New York, USA - DEC 31, 2013 does not count
My favorite beer by this brewery. The flavor is full of deep reds and malts. So flavorful. Great for conversations over books and philosophy. Pair with Italian foods.

The_iMan (14) - New York, USA - APR 26, 2014
I love this beer! I was already an Abby Ale fan, but this beer has the perfect balance of sweet and musty that is Abby Ale. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20